back to article Pakistan bans TikTok because of its users not its owners

Pakistan has banned TikTok, citing the service’s slew of salaciousness as insupportable. China and Pakistan are staunch allies, so the latter nation has little reason to follow India and the USA in banning the video-sharing app on security grounds. Instead, Pakistan is following through on warnings made in July and September …

1. Little Mouse

Lest we forget...

It's not so many decades ago that the UK government and influential religious groups considered themselves the arbiters of our "moral" well being.

I caught the tail end of it in the 70's & 80's: Films banned for blasphemy, The "Festival of Light" getting on its high-horse over every rude scene & anti-religious sentiment they could sniff out,..

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Lest we forget...

I remember a lot of talk but do not remember much banning of films for religious reasons. The Devils (1971) for example did not get banned in the UK despite explicit nudity, blasphemy and masturbation with a crucifix. It was banned in other countries, in Finland it was banned for 40 years.

1. Adelio

Do not forget the farce around Monty Pithons "life of Brian"

1. GrumpenKraut
          Angel

Was shown where I lived, but protesters outside the cinema.

When everybody left after the film, grinning ear to ear said protesters were still there, now visibly unhappy. That made the whole experience even more enjoyable.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of a Father Ted episode

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the service’s slew of salaciousness"

Where ?

I just spent ten minutes looking at TikTok video and the only thing I saw was a bunch of idiots doing stupid, uninteresting things.

The kind of things you should keep for the privacy of your friends in your room, or backyard.

Either that, or a high-virtue signalling somebody who thinks TikTok is the right platform to preach about something (I don't know what the bejeesus they were talking about, I had cut the speakers).

As far as salaciousness was concerned, a complete waste of time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "the service’s slew of salaciousness"

It's what happens when you get a region or country where overly prudish religious zealots (and, yes, zealots of more than one religion like to do this, I'm not explicitly highlighting just one) attempt to define (very restrictive) moral values.

I think the sort of saliciousness they would be referring to might be such absolutely vile things as young women (and possibly also young men) engaging in such reprehensible activities as wiggling their hips, pouting, dancing (possibly even Listening To Music!), wearing clothing that reveals even the tiniest bit of naked skin, and any other activities which might in even a small way remind us of the joys of being alive or excite the sort of basic and perfectly natural animal instincts without which (and here's the part they always seem to forget) none of us would actually be here.

There are probably some users who might even be revealing sufficient skin that such a video might later come back to embarrass them, but it's their choice, their body, and the issue there is surely education about the risks of over sharing online (ah, education, and encouragement of independent thought, especially for young women, I sense another problem brewing there), rather than seeking to ban an outlet for self expression (even if it might be mostly vacuous and stupid).

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

I looked at Human rights in Pakistan. Domestic violence in Pakistan is endemic, journalists are persecuted, ethnic and extrajudiciary killings are numerous as are forced conversions associated with rapes. But hey, banning TikTok is _the_ solution for all this, isn't it?

1. MiguelC Silver badge

It's not the solution; it may be part of the same problem, tough

4. Tempest
    Meh

Pot Calling the Kettle Black

I have had the displeasure of working in Pakistan for several periods of months. Where else would you have an armed guard outside your bedroom door?

The Pakistan government is well aware that it's citizens, along with those from Middle Eastern Muslim countries, are heavy subscribers to satellite TV channels that easily fit their description of proclivity. However, the male population has no trouble viewing such activity, or even hands-on experience, of females that would do Las Vegas proud, in street-facing establishments.

5. Tempest
    FAIL

The Pakistani Kettle Calling the Pot Black

I have worked for several periods of months in Pakistan. Where else does a hotel supply an armed guard out side your room?

My clients had no trouble locating street-facing establishments, featuring females that would do Las Vegas proud. where to 'entertain' their Western guests.

Similarly, the citizens of Pakistan, as well as many Muslim countries in the Middle East, are amongst the highest subscribers to satellite channels that feature content of a sexual nature, material critical of Islam that easily exceeds the Pakistani definition of proclivity.

I think the Pak governments concern is centred upon it's female population.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like