back to article EFF off: Privacy Badger disables by default anti-tracking safeguard that can be abused to track you online

The EFF has disabled by default an anti-tracking feature in its Privacy Badger browser extension – after Googlers warned it could be abused to track people. Privacy Badger is a free, open-source add-on for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Firefox for Android. It primarily blocks tracking cookies, which are used by online …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Privacy Badger, local learning

A nice try, I guess, but NoScript stops trackers dead.

1. Wade Burchette

Re: Privacy Badger, local learning

And cookie autodelete finishes the job. You will be surprised at how many third party cookies you still get even with NoScript. And cookie autodelete makes sure first party trackers cannot track you. (As an example, go to hp.com and look at all the tracking they do.) Just whitelist every good cookie, and tell cookie autodelete to remove all non-whitelisted cookies after you close a tab.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Another extension (RequestPolicy) that blocks all 3rd party requests unless you specifically allow them used to be available for Firefox before the "plug-in redesign". It worked really well, but doesn't seem to have survived that "upgrade".

2. ThatOne Silver badge
        Thumb Up

> And cookie autodelete finishes the job.

"Cookie Autodelete" is indeed one of my "can't live without" extensions. I only hope it won't go one day the way of the Dodo like its model "Self-Destucting Cookies" (which didn't survive the Big Extensions Overhaul).

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Meh

Re: NoScript stops trackers dead.

Not really. It stops them running code in your browser to track you but it doesn't block all http requests so tracking is still a distinct possibility. Browser sniffing and other fingerprinting techniques allow servers to single out user agents without running scripts.

NoScript is awesome but I suggest adding UBlock origin or something similar to stop your browser connecting to those endpoints in the first place.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

For something similar I recommend a PiHole, preferably in addition to UBlock origin.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

I agree with uBlock Origin and I wonder how Privacy Badger's non locally learned tracker list compares to the ones I can select in uBlock.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@sabroni, ah, just spotted you have had the same thought as me. I find uBlock Origin's interface highly confusing (with its not altogether helpful blank red, green and grey blocks), and am never very sure whether I have it set up (in advanced mode) to reject or allow quite what I want. RequestPolicy had a much more intuitive interface and was much easier to use. It's another downside of Firefox's Great Leap Forward and Purge of the Extensions that it seems to be much harder for extension developers to be able to create extension UIs now that don't look like confusing shit, sadly. (I'm sure that's a flaw in the new extension system and not in the developers, I hasten to add.)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The thing that I really liked about RequestPolicy (mentioned later, much missed) in conjunction with NoScript was that RequestPolicy stopped *any* content from undesired sites being loaded (and you could set it on a per visited site basis, so that you could, for example, allow embedded videos from third party hosts to be allowed on some sites, but not on others).

NoScript is intended to stop undesired scripts from running, but one thing I am not sure of is whether it prevents the URI in the HTML source from even being requested from the third party? Even if tracker scripts cannot run, a third party could still get some information about what sites you visit just by requests for the script file, external font, etc?

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Still. Like the name

Because. Badgers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Because. Badgers.

... but needs more Mushrooms, and the occasional Snake.

-

:-)

1. ShadowDragon8685

Re: Because. Badgers.

And don't forget the occasional football game between the formermost and lattermost.

3. IGotOut Silver badge

No...

...if only Google put so much effort into not tracking people in the first place.

4. herman

"targeted adverts" don't work anyway. If I searched for a doohicky once, that doesn't mean that I want a new advert for doohickies every 30 seconds for the rest of the year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hi, I hear you’re interested in doohickies .....

1. Kane
        Big Brother

Because you looked at some doohickeys, we think you might like some thingamajigs...

2. ShadowDragon8685

Especially if what you were searching for was, for example, a washing machine.

Which you then went on the locate the best one for you at the time and purchase.

That's it, barring some catastrophe you're set in the "washing your clothes" department for the next five to ten years. Used to be thirty, but then they realized it was more profitable to sell you a cheaper device that would break down faster.

Why on Earth are they bombarding you with ads for new washing machines? At best, it's going to just give you a massive case of the blues when they show you a washing machine that's even betterer for you and/or fits your needs but was cheaper than what you bought, but the cost is sunk. You're not gonna buy a new bloody washer a week after buying one!

Even if the damn thing exploded with the force of frag grenade, you're not buying a new one, you're going to sue the pants off the manufacturer and make them give you a new one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like