back to article How's this for overachieving? Man accused of running software outfit as a Ponzi scheme while on parole from previous fraud

A convicted fraudster was out on parole when he allegedly conned victims into giving him millions of dollars to place surefire sports bets on their behalf using special software that didn't actually exist. Christopher Hales, 39, of Lehi, Utah, has been charged with wire fraud conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy – and …

1. IceC0ld

SO, Leopards and spots and all that

miscreant, in middle of a $12.5 MILLION restitution for a real estate scam, manages to score $7 MILLION whilst in a half way house ...............

maybe if he had tried to pay off his initial debt, he would still be around

maybe on his way to the White House ffs :o)

2. RM Myers
    Unhappy

Scam artists

In my limited experience with really good liars, they can sound more believable telling a lie than most of us would be telling the truth. Probably because they have practiced most of their lives, and they know how to not sound too "smooth". Fortunately for this purpose, I have always been cynical enough to not get taken in any significant way, but I can see how easily that could happen.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Scam artists

The problem is not only on the liars side, greed is the number one factor here.

Remember kids, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is

3. Tempest
    Thumb Up

Where's the problem?

This is called American Enterprise.

Worked for Trump, why not others?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Where's the problem?

That is the problem.

Whether it's Donald (or Boris) making political promises, scammers making get rich quick promises, or (to bring it home) IT contractors making capability and cost promises, there are too many gullible people who believe what they're told.

As Pogo said, "we have met the enemy and he is us."

4. Jonathan Richards 1
    FAIL

Punters should have asked themselves...

...why would Mr Christian (great branding, btw) cut me in on a sweet deal like that when he can just go on betting, winning, and making as much money as he likes?

They don't, of course, because they want to believe that they can Beat The System.

1. TheProf
      Pint

Re: Punters should have asked themselves...

"they want to believe that they can Beat The System."

YOU can beat the system and I can show you how.

Have you ever looked at successful people and wondered how they got where they are when they are less talented and capable than you?

I used to be like you; hard working and talented but going nowhere fast. Until one day a friend 'in the know' told me the three easy steps to success and untold riches. The three easy steps I can now reveal to the world for the FIRST time.

Send for my book 'How to Take Money from Those Who Don't Deserve to Have It'

Follow to the letter the easy 3 step instructions inside.

Watch the money roll in.

Send a postal order for 4 pounds 11 shillings to this address......

Don't delay....This offer won't last forever.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Punters should have asked themselves...

Come on Prof, don't hold out! What's the address? I have £4 11 s ready

5. Chairman of the Bored

ERP deployments

Is it just me or do I see a parallel here:

Supposedly off-the-shelf software that will make (save) you millions, big firms are throwing money at our feet, Ponzi scheme, no deliveries, has to screw the next set of customers to make you whole...

1. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

Re: ERP deployments

What head is on the screw? Ponzidrive?

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: ERP deployments

Atari?

Spectrum?

6. beep54
    Devil

Huh.

Why this person was not an executive in some large corporation (Oracle, say) just shows that he wasn't thinking big enough.

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

old adage

You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of he boy...

8. Mike 16

Not that new

I recall a story in a science fiction magazine (probably Analog) circa mid 1970s, where the con-artists set up what appeared to be auto-front-running, show the marks an impressive server room (not belonging to them) located in the building housing a major communications interconnect point.

The beauty of schemes like this is that when you hire someone to help you cheat, you are reluctant to admit it.

Like a drug dealer reporting theft of "product" to the police.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take way

Folks in UTAH are stupid enough to fall for fraud on a regular basis.

Thanks for the hot tip

10. boatsman

get rich quick... the easiest thing to sell in this world.

nuff said.

its just stupid greed of stupid people. He earned every penny of that 7 million.

who believes in chrystal bowls from software ??

stupid people who are greedy, wantint to get rich quick.

lmho

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like