back to article Sun touts ESX, Hyper-V virtualization on Galaxy boxes

Sun Microsystems would undoubtedly have preferred that small and medium businesses would be buying its Sparc-based machines, Solaris, and their container or LDom virtualization technologies. But SMB shops don't know nothin' about Sparc/Solaris and for the most part, they are not all that interested. They do Windows, for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Halko
    Go

You are wrong about what makes SUN money...

Think about what you said...

"what actually makes Sun money - or presumably would - would be delivering its xVM Server variant of the Xen hypervisor for the Galaxy machines, and demonstrating that xVM is cheaper and better than the ESX Server and Hyper-V options."

If xVM is cheaper and xVM costs SUN to develop, then it would cause SUN to LOSE MONEY!

Now, xVM's N1 based management seems to be compatible with VMWare and HyperV - so there seems to be very little concern with what else is marketed.

VMWare and HyperV has more visibility in the SMB market, so less confusion from a vendor may actually translate into more sales in the short term (i.e. pick between 2 rather well known options than 3 options where one is not so well known.)

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Alert

Sun makes two smart moves in a decade!

The first was accepting they couldn't survive without an x64 range. The second was admitting that not everyone wants to play with their pet code and sometimes it's better to go with the market's choice. It's probably bad news for the xVM developers, though. Expect their project to be quietly pushed out to the Linux community under the Open Slowaris banner and the team to be chopped.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The reason might be that...

...Sun xVM Server has not yet reached GA?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Matt Bryant

Wrong again - xVM is still alive

you really should learn to do some research before you post.

BTW - it's not just two smart moves, it's at least 3 - the best one was not giving you a job.

Clearly you're a latent Sunophile given your rabid condemnation of everything they do.

Run along then - back to PHUXworld for you.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Twatt Bryant

leaves no thread untrolled...

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Aw, did I hit a nerve?

See, even when you say Sun have made a smart choice for once you still get the Sunshiner attack poodles yapping away! Where to start...

RE: @Matt Bryant - "Wrong again - xVM is still alive...." <Sigh> I didn't say it was dead yet, just that I expect Sun will slowly kill by opensource. You're being a bit premature, but then I expect that's a regular problem for you. Try some reading and comprehension exercises.

"....BTW - it's not just two smart moves, it's at least 3 - the best one was not giving you a job...." The air must be really thin in fantasyland today. Why on Earth would I want to give up a safe and comfortable job with a market-leading company to go work for a has-been company on the slippery slope to delisting and a major case of pink-slipitis? Go on, please, tell me one reason?

"....Run along then - back to PHUXworld for you." Yes I will, thanks, because I have job security and I work with a commercial UNIX from a company not about to disappear. But don't worry yourself too much, I also work with Windoze, Linux and SANs, and if it gets really bad I can even swallow my pride and do project management. I suggest you start with something easy like Ubuntu to wean you off your one-string productline knowledge, make you a bit more employable when the ol' Sun sets. ;)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hey Matt

If you're such a hotshot, why does your full-time occupation involve hanging out here, writing essays, and getting owned constantly?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like Matt

My guess is that El Reg bases their stories on how much interest they bring. Matt's constant Sun trolling causes a lot of comments on Sun articles. El Reg seems to do a lot of Sun articles while doing very few HP articles. My guess is that no one cares about HP (hence, very few comments on HP articles), so they put out more Sun as they seem to get everyone all excited. I'm a big fan of Sun, so the more Sun news the better!

Of course, then there're the IBM articles which seem to do alright. Of course IBM actually does seem to provide actual technology to the world, while HP just resells and rebadges other companies tech and adds nothing in return.

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: ACs

RE: Hey Matt

"....If you're such a hotshot, why does your full-time occupation involve hanging out here, writing essays, and getting owned constantly?" Wrong question! What you should have asked is "Why does Matt have the time to spare whilst I'm running around like a blue-arsed fly fire-fighting all my Sun kit?" The answer is because our HP OpenView management tools give us a much better view and control of what is happening with both our HP and non-HP kit (even the old Slowaris kit we haven't got rid of yet), and tools like HP's Insight Manager and ISEE mean we get predictive support from HP so we avoid the odd failure by some pro-active service, whilst the superior design of our HP kit means they have much lower component failure rates or software faults than the Sun junk they largely replaced. All this allows us to return much higher abailability, for less money spent, and gives me the extra time to spend enlightening you Sunshiners.

RE: I like Matt

Thank you, but I have to point out a few flaws in your theory.

"....El Reg seems to do a lot of Sun articles while doing very few HP articles....." Well, they seem to do a lot of stories along the lines of "Sun is dying", "Sun's market cap is tiny", "Sun is cutting jobs", "Will FSC buy Sun", mainly because there is a lot of interest in watching a trainwreck in the making. It's the tech equivalent of rubber-necking.

"....My guess is that no one cares about HP...." True, it is hard on the rubber-neckers when all you hear about is how HP is number one in high-end servers, number one in all servers, number one in x86, number one in disk storage, number one in printers, etc, etc. People just expect HP to turn a profit and do well. Meanwhile, the constant comedy of Sun's strategic-flip-flops-cum-deathrows are much more entertaining if only for their unpredictability. People are sitting there saying to themselves "I'll go check the Reg to see which lame-duck company Ponytail has bought this week."

"....I'm a big fan of Sun, so the more Sun news the better!..." That's the spirit! Optimism in the face of overwhelming and certain failure. Try and carry that over to your new job when the Sun sets.

"....Of course IBM actually does seem to provide actual technology to the world, while HP just resells and rebadges other companies tech and adds nothing in return." Now, now, you're asking to be reminded about the printer bizz again, where HP makes more money in a quarter than Sun's server sales did in the whole year. And that's because HP innovated and invented in print technology. I'll also have to point out that HP designed the original Itanium, the chip with which it is now stealing big chunks of marketshare from Sun (especially in that lucrative high-end, remember?). Of course, I do also respect IBM's ability to innovate, but then they're taking marketshare from Sun as well. It is Sun's inability to innovate something of value to the market that is consigning it to the dustbin of history, whilst HP and IBM roll on reporting profitable quarter after profitable quarter.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Matt Bryant

"....If you're such a hotshot, why does your full-time occupation involve hanging out here, writing essays, and getting owned constantly?"

'bout 500 words later...

Way to prove my point HP-boy :)

11. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Matt Bryant

"....Way to prove my point HP-boy...." Well, actually it just goes to prove mine - I can spare the time to expose your amusing follies, whilst all you can manage is a quick and witless response between firefighting sessions. But don't worry, help is at hand, simply type the following into your browser, take a deep breath and forget your ingrained bias, and step into a happy future free of the durdgery of Slowaris....

https://www.redhat.com/training/

12. Bill
    Happy

Matt, you're so funny...

"...printer bizz again, where HP makes more money in a quarter than Sun's server sales did in the whole year." Wow! You pulled out printing as your example of where HP has innovated. OK, Matt, you're right. HP has innovated on printers. You win! LOL!

"HP designed the original Itanium" First off, HP gave away their family jewels when they did that, so I would not use that as an example of where HP innovated. PA-RISC was years ahead of where Itanic came out and put HP behind the curve for years. They barely caught up and now are falling behind again. Itanic is a nightmare and will soon (measured in years) be dead and you will be forced to use a X64 chip set that will barely scale and will leave you with unrecoverable errors that require whole frame replacements to resolve.

13. Christophe Bardy
    Pirate

xVM Server alive, but delayed

The reason why Sun bundled Hyper-V and ESX with its servers is that xVM Server is still not ready.

The product is still alive but the final release has been pushed back to Q2 2009.

See http://blogs.lemagit.fr/2009/01/26/sun-microsystems-xvm-server-pushed-back-to-q2-2009/

14. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Bill - Matt, you're so funny...

"....You pulled out printing as your example of where HP has innovated. OK, Matt, you're right. HP has innovated on printers. You win! LOL!..." Actually, hp won. You see, the printer bizz is just one case of how hp not only innovated but also turned that innovation into profit. You obviously have no idea of the science involved in modern ink or printer design, but what you should see is that hp is a household name, whereas no-one outside of the tech industry knows who Sun are. That spread of markets means hp is better placed to survive the downturn. Do you want to deny hp are a household name? Do you want to deny hp's printer bizz is profitable? Would you then like to deny that Sun would be in a much better position financially if it had a printer bizz as strong as hp's? Of course you want to deny it, but only due to your Sunshiner arrogance, the same type of arrogance that has led Sun into the decline it is in today.

"....First off, HP gave away their family jewels when they did that, so I would not use that as an example of where HP innovated. PA-RISC was years ahead of where Itanic came out and put HP behind the curve for years....." Actually, hp foresaw the end of RISC before the other chip vendors. Sun's divergance into multi-core chips is simply an admission that RISC is reaching the limits of what can be done. But hp also saw the advantages of engaging the world's largest chip-maker, Intel, to help them. Sun, on the other hand, have never been very good at seeing they could get further by working with others, hence the laughable state of their chips. Whilst the Itanium has taken time to develop, even the first generation could pound UltraSPANKed in such areas as floating point operations, and the careful design has made it a perfect porting machine.

But I sense your detour into slagging off Itanium is just a diversion away from the core topic which you find so distasteful. Yet again, despite much hype and fanfare from Sun and the Sunshiners, Sun has had to bow to market demand and ship other "plebbie" virtualisation tools instead of it's own software, xVM, and you know that measn xVM will become at best just another also-ran bit of software. You Sunshiners need to get better at handling failure, but then I suspec you're in for plenty of practice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like