back to article What is it about McDonald's, cultural black holes, and not being able to make tech work?

A bit of drivethru borkage is on show today, courtesy of regular contributor McDonald's. Yes, we're back to a Chelmsford branch of the greasemonger yet again, and we're saddened to note that things outside appear as wobbly as things inside, although at least a driver hoping to sate their desire for fried delights was spared a …

1. Winkypop Silver badge

Special sauce

Borkage upsize.

They do have a clown as their mascot after all.

1. DJV Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: They do have a clown as their mascot after all

Yep and, unfortunately, we in the UK have one as a Prime Minister.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not to worry - our American cousins have one too......

1. WolfFan Silver badge

He’s not funny.

1. GBE

>>> Yep and, unfortunately, we in the UK have one as a Prime Minister.

>> Not to worry - our American cousins have one too......

> He’s not funny

Neither are clowns. They're just vaguely disturbing, but mostly harmless. Here in the US, our "clown" is deeply disturbing in (many) very specific and concrete ways and by no means harmless. Calling him a clown is an insult to clowns — and I don't even like clowns.

Clowns at least have some skills (juggling, unicycle riding, makeup, knowing when not to talk).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

These days it seems to be a basic requirement for being a party leader.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What better creature than a clown to lead a party?

3. Spiz

Holy shit do we absolutely have to politicise EVERYTHING?

1. heyrick Silver badge
          Happy

It's 2020. So, YES.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. RM Myers
            Unhappy

2020 - it started out as a year, it feels like it has lasted a decade, and it has turned into an epoch.

2. sgp

Stuffed to the rafters with beef

Never had that particular experience with Micky D's.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

We're all in the shit

all the time. Faecal matter is one of those thing where whether you find is dependent on the sensitivity of your tests.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: "we're not sure we'd want to touch it these days"

And that cashpoint or card pin pad is most likely equally contaminated.

You never ever ate the peanuts on a bar for good reason.

1. TheProf

Re: "we're not sure we'd want to touch it these days"

"You never ever ate the peanuts on a bar for good reason."

Pah! That's just a rumour spread by men so they can eat all the peanuts without worrying about women pinching them.

I can't actually remember the last time I was in a bar with free peanuts on the counter.

Does Beverley Pilkington still appear on the display boards?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
          Coat

You might want to check out a better bar.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chelmsford

"The throbbing metropolis and cultural centre that is the UK city of Chelmsford"

I lived in Chelmsford for eight years and the description of Chelmsford above is totally fair.

1. BenDwire Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Chelmsford

I grew up there in the 1970s, and it neither throbbed or had any culture back then. However, one street had more pubs along it than anywhere else in the country, and helpfully they built a college at one end of it. As well as passing my exams, I learnt to be a functional alcoholic too.

Sadly, the same road has lost many of the pubs, but now holds the record for the most hair salons on one street. I blame the kids.

1. elaar

I think you're talking about Moulsham St, we used to do pub crawls down there in the 90s when I was in school.

Chelmsford is a reasonable place these days, compared to the rest of Essex anyway.

1. BenDwire Silver badge
          Pint

Yes, yes I am. Pint of Bob and Abbot in the Cricketers?

2. zippygiraffe

You may be pleased to know that Chelmsford now boasts a total of 5 McDonalds. So you can revisit and replace your Moulsham St. pub crawl with a Maccies tour - large milkshake and something from the savers menu before a long walk to the next.

1. Dave559 Silver badge

Oh dear, are you all saying that Chelmsford has sadly gone a bit downhill since its days as a great Roman city portrayed in the historical documentary "Chelmsford 123"?

2. BenDwire Silver badge
          Coat

Oddly enough, I used to flip burgers for pocket money in the Zippy in Chelmsford town centre ... before McD's was ever in town. They were beef burgers, not giraffe,

Mine's the white coat, with the blue check trousers and white hat!

3. Kubla Cant

the record for the most hair salons on one street

The late, lamented Douglas Adams told us about the Shoe Event Horizon, where everything in the world turns into shoe shops. Time has moved on. Now the towns of Britain seem to be being taken over by barber's shops, many of them, for some reason, Turkish.

How can there possibly be enough money in barbering to support all these places? And why have we lost interest in shoes?

5. razorfishsl

I have seen inside one of these units.....

ant it is not a surprise....

6. Wolfclaw

McD, KFC, BUrger King, also seem to have great difficulty in making their receipt printers work on the self service kiosk and heaven help you if you ask one of their wombles for duplicate, they'll just make it up until it matches how much you spent, technically unlawful for the tax man ?

1. heyrick Silver badge

I had some fun ordering from a local McDo (here in France) with the thing switched to Japanese.

At the end it gave me a ticket. That was mostly blank.

I expected to see ?????? but I didn't expect nothing at all.

2. elaar

The drive-thru's are worse.

"Can I have the receipt please?"

"It's in the bag"

Drive 5minutes down the road to discover they lied.

7. Daedalus

McMorons

McD's has to be the epicentre of the bozocalypse, the ultimate collision between machine intelligence and human stupidity. Their decentralized operating model means that local ops have only as much internal discipline as the locals care about, which isn't much. The main concern is getting the cheapest people who can still walk in a reasonably straight line and pick up objects reliably. The only way to improve staffing at McD's is to have a recession, which tends to expand the pool of unemployed but above-average workers. Trust me, I've seen the ups and downs of it as I picked up breakfast over the years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: McMorons

I was going to give you an upvote then you mentioned breakfast.

I had to pass by one outlet yesterday (Cambridge Services) and the Numpties (sorry customers) were not obeying social distancing and standing right in the way of anyone wanting to use the toilets.

No wonder this country (and others) are in the middle of an obesity epidemic as well as CV-19.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: expand the pool of unemployed but above-average workers

So, I take it you're ready and willing to go work at Micky D ?

1. Clunking Fist

Re: expand the pool of unemployed but above-average workers

Pah: I'd rather learn to code.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like