back to article How's this for open government? Amsterdam, Helsinki put their AI system designs on public display

The City of Helsinki, Finland, and the City of Amsterdam in the Netherlands, have introduced online AI registries that offer a glimpse into the workings of the algorithms and machine-learning systems used for municipal governance. The joint announcement, made in conjunction with the Next Generation Internet Summit, represents …

1. Down not across
    Thumb Up

Trust

With AI use becoming more common as an element of city services, Pasi Rautio, project manager of the Helsinki City Data, AI and robotisation project entity, argues that initiatives like these AI registries are necessary to build trust in government systems.

More ML than AI, but yes. Agreed, transparency is the only way to expect any trust. With some governments of course no amount of transparency will build trust as they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy and transparency is probably anything but.

Having said that, well done Helsinki and Amsterdam.

2. RM Myers
    Unhappy

AI Transparency

This sounds good, and is a reasonable start, but how does it help in the case where the programmers don't even understand how the AI made a decision? This is particularly an issue where the AI is basically doing pattern matching based on a large training dataset, which may be biased in unknown and very subtle ways.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

IT's as a Failsafe Relief Valve/Overlode Circuit Breaker for when You Can't Handle the Truth ‽

The literacy and oversight elements become even more important if, as computer scientist Stephen Wolfram wrote last year, AI transparency can't be assured.

"If we want to seriously use the power of computation – and AI – then inevitably there won’t be a 'human-explainable' story about what’s happening inside," he said.

And aint that the gospel truth, as El Regers have been practically evidencing for ages now.

The sad rad trad fact is, as it all too readily constantly appears to be, is you really don't want answers about the truth, and most probably because it can be that it might very effectively be able and enabled to effortlessly destroy you. However, you might like to dismiss that phantom fear and realise it be pimped and pumped and dumped upon the scene by that and those who daily rule over you with their conspiratorial opinions and flashy 0days/FUD because they correctly fear their own worthy destruction. Karma gives what is rightly deserved to that and those thoroughly deserved of its wares and fare.

Rooting About in a Barrel of Rotten Eggs and Bad Apples is, and never will be, and never ever has been a Prime Core IntelAIgent Source Base for the truth about crooked answers that wilfully misdirect and wantonly malinform, but there y'all are, gorging on the toxic mash just like hungry pigs at a swill trough.

1. RM Myers

Re: IT's as a Failsafe Relief Valve/Overlode Circuit Breaker for when You Can't Handle the Truth ‽

Damn, I might have actually understood that comment. 2020 must be seriously affecting my mental health.

4. deive

I think the important not about this has nothing to do with machine learning really.

In the example explaining the parking network the only bit of ML is probably the camera numberplate recognition (that may not even be using ML), but it is the explanation of the system as a while that is the interesting thing, such a good idea.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Yes, a bit of OCR, then a database lookup, and then a human to double check it.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Yup that's AI / ML

Algorithms with a trendy name

2. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

For a short article a short and simple example most likely.

5. Danny 2

The top two cities I've passed through

Parking in Amsterdam was so difficult and expensive that I gave away my car and bought stolen bikes. I was so fit that the locals didn't realise each commute was a race (that I always won).

Today my legs are so sore no matter how I lie on the couch that I may ask the NHS to remove them, I have no use for them now except to get to the car. Vestigial limbs.

I brought my Dutch fiancee to Scotland and she said, "Oh, it's just like Holland was twenty years ago". She didn't mean it as an insult, she was just being Dutch. I replied, "Maybe, but we have hills, mountains and trees".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like