back to article Bill Gates lays out a three-point plan to rid the world of COVID-19 – and anti-vaxxer cranks aren't gonna like it

Microsoft founder and philanthropist Bill Gates stuck an oar into tinfoil-hat-infested waters once again today with a pretty reasonable plan to deal with the ongoing global pandemic. In an opinion piece for Tortoise Media, His Billness laid out a three-part plan for eliminating the grim threat of coronavirus and, …

1. DS999 Silver badge
    Megaphone

If Bill Gates has the technology to implant chips to control people's behavior

Will he please please please pretty please install one in Donald Trump!

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: If Bill Gates has the technology to implant chips to control people's behavior

That's like putting the empathy chip in Bender...

1. martynhare

Re: If Bill Gates has the technology to implant chips to control people's behavior

As opposed to implanting the identification chip in Fry?

Fictionally speaking, Windows’ Cortana is nowhere near as hot as Futurama’s Leela.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Gonna have to go ahead and say that that's a matter of opinion, to which everyone has the right to be hold one which is objectively wrong.

Whilst technically meeting the definition of bilateral symmetry, I feel that a cylopian monoeye still fails to meet the spirit of the intention.

1. DJV Silver badge

@ShadowDragon8685

Have you been drinking at the fountain of amanfrommars?

2. batfink

Surely he can already control all those people who have been vaccinated against polio?

1. RM Myers
        Unhappy

Since some of us were vaccinated against polio before Gates was born, that seems unlikely. But then again, if you believe 5G causes COVID-19, this may not be a wall too high to climb.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
          Joke

> some of us were vaccinated against polio before Gates was born

Don't you know he has a time machine??? (Sputter, drool)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Alien

Bill Gates is a Reptilian Overlord: he is thousands, possibly millions of years old. He may have originated outside, and essentially before, the beginning of our universe. An alternative theory, held by a few (myself included) is that the universe is 23,714 days old, and its origin was therefore coeval with His birth. Bill Gates created the universe in fact: all 'history' before the 28th October 1955 is merely a sort of painting on the world. Your polio vaccination did not really happen, you just think it did. In either case, there is certainly no useful sense in which anything could have been said to 'happen before Bill Gates was born': that is merely delusion and fantasy.

1. Hollerithevo

That explains so much...

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
            Alien

Well, speaking as the actual Reptilian Overlord who did in fact create this Universe as a toy (I am only a wee lad of 14B years old) about 5 minutes ago, the issue with these conspiracy theories is that I already determine everything that happens in this Universe including it's backstory. (Well, not exactly as I used a template.) But believing that when I've constructed the Universe to not provide proof of that still makes all of those conspiracy folks illogical unhappy nut jobs.

1. sysconfig

I already determine everything that happens in this Universe including it's backstory. (Well, not exactly as I used a template.)

Universe As Code? Universial DevOps?

Put that Covid bug fix in the release pipeline, then!

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
                FAIL

"Put that Covid bug fix in the release pipeline, then!"

Why? You're not real, nor are any of the rest of you.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

And I am not real either.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

...and neither is my wife!

2. Peshman

However... I think, therefore I am.

At least I think I am.

Eh?

*Poof*

2. Kimo

Reality as a Service.

3. Glen 1
                Coat

It looks like you are trying to write a letter create the back story of the Universe.

Would you like help?

4. Jimbob 3

Universe As Code = UAC

Conspiracy confirmed!!

3. Kane
            Alien

You are a member of The Rhipidon Society and I claim my five pounds!

Remember, Fish cannot carry guns.

3. vtcodger Silver badge

if you believe 5G causes COVID-19 ...

Utter nonsense!!! It's well known the COVIDF-19 causes 5-G rather than the opposite. It's laid out right there in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

1. Sanguma

Protocols of the Elders of Zion

Doncha mean the Proctoscopes of the Elderly Zionists? just to, ummm, rectify the discussion ... sh*tty topic anyway!

4. Blank Reg

Impossible timelines never stopped people from blaming Obama for 911.

1. Sanguma
            Facepalm

The more impossible, the more likely, because ... while not not-because loop "because"

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

Your strawman: "....if you believe 5G causes COVID-19..." Not terribly subtle are you. Bill Gates like was his father before him, is a evil rabid eugenicist. It isn't hard to spot one of his shills...

Obviously, 5G does not "cause" "COVID-19". What 5G does, without any shadow of a doubt according to multiple peer reviews research studies is attack and weaken the Human immune system, thus making everyone exposed to the radiation from 5G technology far more likely to contract all manner of diseases and sicknesses including COVID-19......

1. John PM Chappell
            Meh

Not sure if serious ...

2. P. Lee

Gotta get that 99%+ survival rate down...

3. Totally not a Cylon
      Big Brother

On the subject of US Presidents.....

Read Ikon by Graham Masterton and then look at past presidents.... it's scary.

4. katrinab Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Putin has already done that ...

1. BebopWeBop

No doubt a 4 bit microcontroller (for anyone who remembers them). Clocked verrrrry slooooooooooow

1. pavel.petrman

With the obligatory 640 kB of memory!

1. DJV Silver badge

No. 1K built in, plus a wobbly 16K rampack sellotaped precariously on the back.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Rampax only applicable in female spectrum 80/81

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Will he please please please pretty please install one in Donald Trump!

Already done - and the people who designed the hardware and wrote the software to control him going onto work on the 737-MAX MCAS and Tesla AutoPilot systems. Probably

1. MJI Silver badge

Actually control is via the head mounted carpet.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will he please please please pretty please install one in Donald Trump!

sir, you must have heard the term "backup" and "multiple redundancies"? One chip is fake news, two is a move in the right direction. Only first step of many...

2. Waseem Alkurdi

"The self-interested thing and the altruistic thing," he said, "are one and the same."

Huh? Has someone forgotten to disconnect this thing before they left for home?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I really disliked Gates when he was head of Microsoft, because of all the underhanded tactics the company used against rivals, but fair play to him for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

1. Michael

Couldn't agree more. I thoroughly disliked many of the things he allowed to happen whilst running Microsoft. I've huge respect for what he has done since.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah it was really generous of him to transfer all his Microsoft shares to his for-profit "Foundation", thus avoiding the huge capital gains tax he would otherwise have to pay. Truly a man of the people.

1. ICL1900-G3

A bravely anonymous comment, you must feel so proud.

2. Tilda Rice

its not a "for profit" entity, coward.

3. Sanguma
      Pint

Was born in a malaria-ridden place; I'm every step of the way behind his anti-malaria project. Have one on me!

1. DarkwavePunk

Late to the party but, yeah. Born in ZA and spent time in PNG. Quinine was just being phased out as an anti-malaria drug for more potent stuff and mosquito nets were a part of life. Those little fuckers can fuck the fuck right off.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're no more likely to "rid the world of corona virus" than you are to rid the world of influenca -- or for that matter, stupidity and ignorance by institutions, "do-gooders" or in general.

Just to finely remind people: if you have a "common cold" you have either got an adeno-, noro- or cononavirus mucking you up.

And just like flu, any of these come in milder and more severe forms. This one happens to be more severe (but still eminently treatable) but equally impossible to eradicate.

1. RM Myers

Well, given that smallpox was eliminated, and polio is (and has been for a while) almost eliminated, I could believe the possibility that COVID-19 would be eliminated. Stupidity and ignorance being eliminated - not so much.

1. LenG

Not the same thing

Smallpox and polio vaccines confer permanent immunity. So does catching the disease and recovering from it, but that is a somewhat risky way of immunizing people.

Virus's like those for flu and similar infections convey only short term immunity. Currently it is not clear how long the immunity lasts after exposure to Corvid19 but there is anecdotal evidence that some people have had it twice. Given that has only been active for less than a year this is not good news.

1. ibmalone

Re: Not the same thing

Everyone pushing this angle is of course neglecting that vaccines can be given as boosters, that we could re-vaccinate vulnerable people once the thing is under control (as we do with flu every year), that some vaccines in testing have produced stronger antibody responses than wild type infection, that part of the reason cold and flu viruses are hard to immunise against is their mutation rate, which is lower for coronaviruses (though there are other human coronaviruses, there aren't many and we haven't had a serious need for a vaccine before), that most of the vaccines target the spike protein and a virus that has mutated to escape that response could well be less virulent and, lastly, that even attenuated immunity may lead to less serious disease.

For anecdotal re-infection, it's early days, but as over 34 million people worldwide have had it if re-infection within six months was at all common we should have seen more than anecdotal cases by now.

Sure, even given all that a vaccine might not work. But let's give it a chance, hey?

1. Brangdon

Re: anecdotal re-infection

There are at least two well-documented cases of re-infection. It's not just anecdotal now.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/another-covid-19-reinfection-this-time-second-infection-was-more-severe/

1. ibmalone

Re: anecdotal re-infection

Anecdotal doesn't mean "not documented" or necessarily "unreliable", it means not systematically studied. We've got two well documented cases, what does that mean overall? What I said was if re-infection was widespread at six months then we would have more than anecdotal evidence by now; what percentage of people who've had it once to this point have had it again? Hard to tell, sure, but 2 out of 32 million is 0.000006%. If it is 6*10^-6% then that basically makes no difference to a vaccine campaign, it'd have to be heading towards the double-digit percents to matter much.

Let's ask a different question; one of those two was a 25 year old apparently not immune compromised, and contracted a serious case of covid. Does this mean the "only old people are at risk, we should all go back to normal" brigade are wrong about their fundamental premise? The numbers are the difference between systematic and anecdotal.

2. Jim Birch

You don't know that. This is the old AI can't do chess argument rehashed.

Modern vaccine technologies can be a lot more targeted that the old stuff which treated the immune system as a black box and didn't consider molecular biology: Just chuck some junk in and hope for the best - a bit like school boys putting rocks on train tracks. We don't want to produce any antibody that attacks the virus randomly but rather to attack a part of the viral sequence that cannot mutate successfully. AFAIK that's what the RNA vaccines are trying to do. Whether this can be achieved or not we currently don't know but that's the aim and, well, they'll probably get there sooner of later.

It's possible that initial vaccines may not be mutation-proof but that's not the end of the story. Technology improves over time. In this case, there is plenty of known potential for improvement and plenty of unknowns that may produce better approaches.

Also, a vaccine that confers a few years immunity is still clearly worth doing. We do annual flu shots, don' we? The greater the reduction of the disease the less circulating infection and the less new strains produced. This disease is like ten times more lethal than flu and will get an

1. Jet Pilot

If I get two years immunity, the first thing I am doing is going to Disney Land.

1. the Jim bloke

If it gave me 2000 years immunity, and the lifespan to go with it, I still would not go to Disney Land

2. magumba

Wont it be quiet after the 25000 staff were paid off ?

3. Sanguma

Flu and the common cold apparently mutate very quickly. Which would explain why there has been no success in developing a "one size fits all" vaccine for them. This novel coronavirus is apparently a slow mutator, so there's more chance it'll be more controllable by a vaccine - but who knows - it might turn out to mutate quite quickly once it's settled into the population.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

flu/common cold are not singular virii but multiple versions with common anchestry.

They are referred to as an item but they are reality a multitude with similar symptoms hence difficulty in forming a single solution/vaccine

4. DarkwavePunk

Post-polio is a thing. Look up Robert Anton Wilson. He did however get medicinal weed legalised in California. Pretty much died with a spliff in his hand. Hail Eris. FNORD.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There's never been a successful coronavirus vaccine. Just sayin'!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

In 1968 there had never been a human on the Moon. On the 13th of September 2015 humans had never made a direct observation of gravitational waves. People are capable of amazing things, especially if the stakes are high enough. If the past was a guide to the future we'd be living in the middle ages still.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

An Apollo programme to produce a vaccine for a virus that's going to end up with an infection fatality rate not much above 0.1% doesn't seem like a great use of resources, to be honest.

We tolerate 10-20k people dying each winter from the flu in the UK. Perhaps that death toll will be shared with COVID in the years ahead. Not worth destroying our economy for.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@a/c

Quote "We tolerate 10-20k people dying each winter from the flu in the UK." Unquote.

As long as it is you or yours not doing the dying bit eh?

Cheers… Ishy

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

As long as it is you or yours not doing the dying bit eh?

Let's lockdown forever so nobody dies!

27,000 people are killed or seriously injured on the roads each year, but I'm assuming you're not advocating the banning of cars?

Life is all about risk. Even for the over 90s COVID is only 2% fatal (https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3259). Bear in mind that for the over 85s there's a 15% chance of dying from all causes, within the next year and you can really start to put the risks into some context.

Predictably people will respond to this post about the dangers of "long COVID" but I haven't seen any rigorous study of its prevalence, just anecdotes.

1. Schultz

Even"for the over 90s COVID is only 2% fatal"

Well, the article you cite states that over the course of 100 days of epidemic in Great Britain, 2% of those aged over 90 died of covid 19. This represents a 30% increased chance to die for this age group as compared to ordinary years.

You must be quite the calculating type if you use those numbers 'to put the risk into context', i. e. consider them small.

It's a scary epidemic that killed a lot of people. Fortunately, survival rates became much higher recently. Maybe we got a less harmful mutation spreading - good because less of those infected die, but bad because it may become harder to track the infection pool when there are non symptomatic cases. I would expect that the virus will adapt to humans eventually, making us less sick and thereby spreading more widely. Expect to get the updated vaccines with your flu shot every year.

2. Felonmarmer

I wouldn't say we tolerate it. Also remember this is with annual flu jabs for the vulnerable. Without those, as you are suggesting for a virus with a fatality rate aprox 10 times worse, who knows how many people would be dying from flu.

If all goes well, the annual flu jab will start to include for CV19 from next year, or maybe two jabs will be needed.

The composition of the flu jab changes each year based on the expected virus strains that are predicted to be severe and / or prevalent enough to warrent it. The companies that do the research, produce the vacines, distribute them and the GP's, medical centres and pharmists for adminster them are also part of the economy.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Also remember this is with annual flu jabs for the vulnerable. Without those, as you are suggesting for a virus with a fatality rate aprox 10 times worse, who knows how many people would be dying from flu.

Yes, except COVID doesn't have a fatality rate 10 times higher than flu.

The early estimates were based on testing symptomatic individuals many of whom were extremely ill. Now that it's clear huge numbers of people COVID without even realising they've had it, the fatality rate continues to be revised downward all the time.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Boffin

First of all the fatality rate has manifestly been well about 0.1%, as you would know if you could do the maths. A fatality rate of 0.1% would imply that about 328,000 people would die in the US if everyone got it: in other words if R0 had some extremely high value. More than 200,000 people have already died in the US, and I don't know what R0 is estimated to be, but I don't think it's that high. More to the point, statistical testing would reveal about how many people have had it in the US, and if the proportion was anywhere near high enough competent people would not be worrying about lockdowns &c (by 'competent people' I mean the scientists, not the US administration of course). Further, as the effective reproduction rate drops to and below 1 then the time constants go up, as you would also know if you could do the maths. So we would not be seeing sudden increased in case rates, which we are.

All these arguments go for the UK as well.

One answer is that 'oh well the fatality rate was much higher but now it is lower because we now know how to keep people alive'. That is true to some extent I am sure. But keeping them alive costs money, and that is money we would not have to spend if they did not get ill.

And finally the whole 'oh, the fatality rate is low' thing is just another instance of idiot single-bit thinking. You don't either die or recover completely. Many people do not die but recover very slowly and perhaps do not recover completely at all. I knew people who did not die of polio, but they had limited lives because of it. Indeed, I suffer from a disease which has not killed me, and probably will not kill me, but means I can't work and am occasionally essentially bed-ridden for a week. I would really like not to have this disease, even though it probably will not kill me. Fatality rate is a completely useless measure of the human cost of the disease.

4. Cuddles

"We tolerate 10-20k people dying each winter from the flu in the UK."

Yes, flu usually kills around 10-20k people each year in the UK. That's with no efforts to control the spread at all, and a limited vaccination program targeting only the most vulnerable. Covid-19 has so far killed over 40k in 7 months, despite the extreme measures being taken to try to stop it spreading.

So I really don't understand why idiots keep repeating this argument as if it's supposed to mean anything. If we had just left covid to run rampant as we do with the flu, it would have killed hundreds of thousands of people in the UK by now. Even with a lockdown, masks, social distancing and everything, it's still killed significantly more people than the flu does in significantly less time. Oddly enough, saying we don't worry as much about a much less dangerous disease isn't going to do much to convince anyone that covid will just magically go away if we stop thinking about it.

As a final point, lying about the fatality rate probably won't help your case either. In the UK, it's only just under 10%. The real rate may well be a less than that since not all cases are tested, but it's certainly nowhere near 0.1% - that would mean over 42 million people had already been infected, which is obviously nonsense.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

As a final point, lying about the fatality rate probably won't help your case either. In the UK, it's only just under 10%.

I'd like a cite for that please.

1. Cuddles

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

As of 1601 on 01/10/20, there have been 42,202 deaths from 460,178 cases. That's a fatality rate of 9.2%, down a bit from a month or so ago when it was around 9.7% (which you'll still see quoted on Wikipedia).

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

As of 1601 on 01/10/20, there have been 42,202 deaths from 460,178 cases. That's a fatality rate of 9.2%, down a bit from a month or so ago when it was around 9.7% (which you'll still see quoted on Wikipedia).

The case fatality rate, which you've quoted, is entirely meaningless for a disease that's so often asymptomatic. It's the infection fatality rate that you need to pay attention to.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@" In 1968 there had never been a human on the Moon"

I am still waiting for my robot butler and flying car from the 1950s, I have been optimisitic all my life but I still do not have these items why? Perhaps because those that fund research didn't consider these items to be worth the effort of obtaining or perhaps our current technological level is insufficent.

Understand that optimisum is not enough you have to do targetted research and our view point has to also change enough for us to be able to see the possible solutions once they become visible, it doesn't help to rush a treatment and history has shown that doing so can have disasters side effects.

At the moment there is a rush to make a vaccine because there are fortunes to be made, it doesn't mean that any of their offerings will prove effective we can only wait and see if our current understanding and manufacture is sufficent for the task.

One problem with drugs/vaccines is the time it takes to pass safety tests, this because of problems like Thaidomide where their existing safety tests were insufficent, with the result that there was an unforseen effect of the drug that caused a greater amount of pain than not using the it.

With new drugs/vaccines there is always the possiblity of unforeseen effects. If you have a policy of forcing people to use a new treatment that results in injury to any of the "patients" then who is to blaim?

Having had Covid in intestinal and pneumatic forms and survived with barely noticible effects then I am wondering why they do not instead use controlled infection to identify those that need the vaccine and those that will be at worst carriers. Once you know who is in danger then simply cure the current infection and then protect the susceptible from future infection. I suggest that there is currenlty no interest in this method because it is both cheap and unownable i.e. no vast fortunes to be made off the new wonder treatment being forced upon everyone when only a small percentage need it.

There are lots of diseases and health complaints that only effect a portion of the population and like for those sufferers targetted treatments upon the susceptible subset are both cheaper and more effective in the long run, simply because the majority do not actually have a problem

Vaccines are not magic they can help some and others not at all, if you try to base your vaccine effectiveness results and datasets including overiding( 90%) misinformation from those that can survive the infection anyway then it will take at least then times longer to actually reach a valid conclusion and a useful vaccine.

Influenza, I believe, kills more of the infected than COVID, in the west we provide the best targetted vaccines to the older subset and yet people still die every year. Personally I do not see that the 10% who appear to be suscptible are any different to the elderly an dinfact seem to be of the saem subset.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Frankly, the problem with flying cars is not so much the technology, it's the skill barrier required. Navigating safely in three dimensions is considerably more difficult than navigating safely in two.

And the robot butlers are hard at work in Japan.

Also, the Jetsons was set an unspecified amount of time in the future, if you were of the opinion that "an unspecified time" meant "seventy years," then you were greatly misleading yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@shadowdragon8685

@"Navigating safely in three dimensions is considerably more difficult" no it is not since there is nothing to hit, landing and take off on manual would be a higher skill but one that computers can actually do safely. flying cars would have virtual roads that can keep vehicles seperated more easily than at present with car, the virtual route would also be able to dictate speed so as to avoid the problems your see with road traffic.

In fact if your remove the human element from travel then they become automatically more safe, given that humans have a real problem maintaining high concentration levels over exteneded periods, if all traffic was computer controlled then the task of seperation and optimal routing becomes so much more simple then there is parking the car can go off on its own and park itself until you need it again, why bother owning a car if one can be availible for any destination in a few minutes.

all in all computer control on roads is always going to be slower because of the inherant problem avoiding the stupid blind humans who doing something other than concentrating upon their driving

1. DiViDeD

Re: @shadowdragon8685

In fact if your remove the human element from travel then they become automatically more safe

Isn't that true for just about any activity though?

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

nothing scares me more than flying cars

As a motorbike rider, seeing the shenanigans on the roads these days, flying cars would be terrifying! even with "autopilot"

3. the Jim bloke
            Unhappy

Have you been watching politics recently?

Its the Dark Ages we're heading for, if its only as bad as the middle ages we will be lucky..

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I'm a bit more optimistic. The thing about human stupidity is that humans have ALWAYS been stupid. There's just more of the bastards at the moment and Social Media needs some SERIOUS slapping down and control.

Back in the day, people though that travelling on the new fangled train would make your head explode. When Electricity circuits were put in, the lunatics thought that they would kill everyone. I saw a picture of a leaflet that was being thrown around at the time, shame I can't remember the link, but it was reminiscent of the 5g crap that's running around.

There will always be a group of idiots that hate anything new...mobile phones will boil your brain, 3G causes cancer, 4g causes cancer, 5G causes cancer, which switched to 5G causes Covid and there will be a small number of assholes who make a LOT of money riling up the idiots.

This is multiplied by 1000% at the moment because of Facebook and Google Shenanigans but hopefully will sort itself out. Anti-vaxxers very quickly become converted when someone they know gets a disease. 4G causes cancer loons, very quickly shut up when they realised they could stream Love Island on their phone on the train..

so fingers crossed

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah except for all the coronavirus vaccines currently used on livestock and pets.

https://www.intvetvaccnet.co.uk/blog/covid-19/lessons-veterinary-coronaviruses

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

We're talking about human vaccines here, clever clogs.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Boffin

Yes, humans. Because humans have entirely different biology to all other animals, of course, so relying on evidence that such vaccines can work for animals tells us nothing at all about humans. Oh, no, that's not true, is it?

And yes: I understand that safety is a bigger concern. But vaccines for coronaviruses (coronavirii?) exist, which falsifies you (or one of your anonymous friends') claim that they don't.

1. ICL1900-G3

It is indeed viruses.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

The coronaviruses are a family of viruses. A vaccine for one of them is about as useful as a vaccine for last year's flu.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Remind me again, what's the risk you'll get smallpox?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Depends on the virus, how quickly it evolves and how big a population have it.

Looks like we were lucky with smallpox that it didn't manage to out evolve a century of relatively ineffective vaccines.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We were lucky with small pox because we found a less life threanting older version and based our vaccines upon that (cow pox).

Suprisingly with covid I havent heard anything about a vaccine based upon the version that was in bats, if the cow pox idea works here then they could be some hope for the seemingly <10% susceptible

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

virii do not evolve they mutate, evolution is the process where species change over time inorder to continue to exist and are recognisable group i.e they didn't all die off , virii are not alive so cannot evolve any more than the organisms that failed to evolve Ii.e. they didn't continue as a species because they all died. Evolution only applies to living things and is an idea that answer questions such as why organisms are like they are

Almost as bad as Trump saying that this was a very intelligent disease, no it is a virus is has no intelligence it is not out to get anyone it just is and it only becomes a a problem when it gets inside an organism that cannot stop replicating it, without the replication then there is no problem. It is just a random bit of genetic code that can interfer with an oraganisms complex processes or not there are many virii that get replicated without causing problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Species change over time ("evolve") by, er, mutations. One organism has a mutation that turns out to be beneficial for its survival, so it gets a better-than-the-others chance to procreate, spreading that mutation.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In recent history the main danger for catching smalpox was from a research facility that held stores of smallpox.virus

>In recent history the main danger for catching smalpox was from a research facility that held stores of smallpox.virus

So far that hasn't happened - although given the people who run the labs it may well not be reported!

Not wishing to give any ammunition to the nutters, but I think the last "death due to smallpox" was the wife of an army guy who was vaccinated. She was on chemotherapy or had some immune disease IIRC and had a reaction to his contact

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Oh yes it has

>>In recent history the main danger for catching smallpox was from a research facility that held stores of smallpox virus

>So far that hasn't happened

In 1978, a laboratory accident in the United Kingdom occurred where a variola virus sample was spread through the university laboratory’s ventilation system, infecting two people and killing one.

Source: https://ourworldindata.org/smallpox#eradication-of-smallpox, citing the Birmingham Mail

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: stupidity and ignorance by institutions, "do-gooders" or in general.

Which one are you?

4. bob_a_builder2

"influenca "

Less of a virus, more a nasty side effect of YouTube ?

5. bonkers

The origin of conspiracy

Erm , please correct me if i'm wrong, but the back-story to the conspiracy goes like this:

Records of vaccine are hard to access and maintain, particularly in poor countries.

the "BCG" is an easy one, because it leaves a scar, and doctors, A&E can tell immediately.

There was a thought to tattoo the vaccinated, but that is too much like branding cattle.

There was a thought to use a glass transponder - much like with pets and farm animals, they can be read/write and be updated with all vaccinations, allergies, blood group - the stuff you might need in an emergency. It didn't get far, there are nefarious uses, it's a big privacy (whatever that is these days?) problem,

The only real proposal that Bill Gates looked at was a sub-dermal laser barcode, of some sort, invisible, not like branding, and carries only a byte or two of info.

I don't see a problem with that - but sure, if it were a unique barcode per person, that has abuse potential.

This is the "Bill Gates wants to barcode all of humanity for his own evil purposes" conspiracy.

The implantable glass transponder is inevitably viewed as a mind-control device, thanks X-files, darkening the conspiracy further.

Crazy thing is that all the anti-vaxxers are on Facebook, which is an actual mind-control device and is bent on all manner of evil purposes - it does whatever money wants it to do.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: The origin of conspiracy

> Crazy thing is that all the anti-vaxxers are on Facebook, which is an actual mind-control device and is bent on all manner of evil purposes.

And yet if you or I tell them that they look at us like we're the crazy ones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Erm , please correct me if i'm wrong, but the back-story to the conspiracy goes like this:

There was also a policy by some charities not to treat some childhood diseases because the problem was overpopulation so adding a few million extra kids to a famine wasn't a great plan.

This of course morphed into a "bill Gates planning genocide" meme.

Now that has view has shifted to: if you can persuade people that more of their children will survive - they won't have as many.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The only real proposal that Bill Gates looked at was a sub-dermal laser barcode, of some sort, invisible, not like branding, and carries only a byte or two of info."

That might play into one of those conspiracy theories:

"15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

I'm not aiming to promote conspiracy or religion, but I can understand how a "mark" might resonate with certain audiences.

1. jukejoint
        Big Brother

"I can understand how a "mark" might resonate with certain audiences."

Me too...marks always resonate with their audiences, the mugs, the vory, the wise guys.

2. JCitizen
        Angel

One of the problems of quoting Revelations in the Bible, is that it could be argued many, or perhaps, all of them have already happened, so are of historical value only. It makes for great philosophical subjects to ponder though.

4. Rich 11

the "BCG" is an easy one, because it leaves a scar, and doctors, A&E can tell immediately.

I had both the BCG test and the booster 42 years ago, but you won't find evidence of either on my left arm (or anywhere else, for that matter). If an A&E doctor needs to know whether or not I had that, they'd have to ask me and take my word for it rather than trust to any diagnostic sign.

1. JCitizen

@Rich 11 - my scar disappeared too. My body eats scars for lunch, for some reason.

5. Naselus

"Erm , please correct me if i'm wrong, but the back-story to the conspiracy goes like this:"

No, you're out of date. All conspiracies have now been incorporated into Qanon for efficiency, so the backstory now goes back to King Solomon setting up the Deep State because Plato talked to the Sumerians about the Great Flood. At least, according to that daft map thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually if you include the evidence from historical convid in sewerage then the virus has been around a while in humans. Where itstarted being a problem was when it moved from an intestinal infection to pneumatic presumably due to some people not washing after going for a dump.

Mamalian lungs suffer a lot of infections of this type when once a virus become airborne then it is generally much more of a problem than otherwise.

6. poohbear

First prove your vaccine actually works.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Relax - Putin says he has one and he tried it on his daughter. I read it on the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He should get together with ghastly Gummer and have a burger ‘n’ vax party with their kidz. Cretinous politicos.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and British Beef is safe

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/bse-crisis-john-selywn-gummer-2122969

Polititains do not get there jobs by caring about family or infact about anything except themselves

2. This post has been deleted by its author

Re: re: First prove your vaccine actually works.

So you would be good with a vaccine developed in secret in Russia?

Imported solely by TrumpDrug Corp?

Approved in 24hours by the FDA, under its new boss Trump Jnr ?

Not an anti-vaxxer by any means but I'm not planning to be first in the queue to inject bleach and sunshine

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I think what you mean might be something to do with Phase1, 2 & 3 trials. The sort of thing that's happening now and is an essential step (except maybe in Russia*) before a vaccine is certified for general use.

* I don't think it's unlikely Trump would get his way on this in the US.

>I don't think it's unlikely Trump would get his way on this in the US.

"Former One America News correspondent Emily Miller gets senior FDA post

Former reporter for right-wing network has no known health expertise, and has made inaccurate coronavirus claims"

4. David Nash Silver badge
      Boffin

First prove...

Of course. That's why the vaccines currently in development haven't been released yet.

However there will always be some who refuse to accept the standard clinical trial methodology and will demand ever stronger "proof".

Strangely they are often the ones who go for the products that have not undergone any decent clinical trials at all.

1. The lone lurker

Re: First prove...

@ David Nash

I'm sure all those thalidomide survivors have something relevent to say about clinical trial methodologies.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"First prove your vaccine actually works."

They do not need to, just force everyone to take it and then claim it is a miracle cure when the majority who would not have died anyway are still alive.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does the plan include

The rich evading less tax to help adequately fund national health systems run by democratically elected governments?

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Does the plan include

This particular plan doesn't, as it's not its purpose.

But he also has plans for that

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Does the plan include

In the same way that I have plans to become a humble, virtuous person, so long as everyone else does too.

Or he could, you know, just pay

8. Richard Gray 1
    Joke

Oh ok then ... :P

'When asked in a recent interview if he wanted to use vaccines to implant microchips into people, the billionaire responded simply: "No." '

Well he would wouldn't he...

He contracted Dr Doofenshmirtz for the micro chipping

NB

Please look at Icon BEFORE spamming me Thanks In Advance

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh ok then ... :P

A Bill Gates chip implant would run Windows on a huge Intel chip with security flaws, no battery life, and twice-daily borkage

2. Sanguma
      Joke

Re: Oh ok then ... :P

microchips, but no microfiche? What'll the microtakeaways sell? Are you, Sir, planning to make the microtakeaways vegan?

9. 0laf
    Boffin

Microchipping

So a vaccine is just a way to get a microchip into you is it? To track your movements and keep control of you?

No it's not and I'll give you a few very good reasons why

1 - You're really not that interesting. the government doesn't really care about tracking you except statistically as part of large groups. Individually you really don't matter very much

2 - It doesn't need a chip to track you. Your mobile phone apps, Alexa spy speaker, your credit cards, loyalty cards etc all do a really good job of tracking you. And best of all You pay for it willingly and sign up to be tracked.

3 -You're being controlled? You are the one taking advice from a random stranger running a conspiracy page on the most privacy destroying platform ever conceived. Why not go out and read some real books on virology and electromagnetism and work out for yourself if 5G and viruses are likely to be linked? If anything you're already being controlled through your stupidity and laziness. Why do you think the Russians and Chinese funnel money to disruptive conspiracy groups?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microchipping and 0laf

1-2 you say they are not interested but then you point out that your disinterested already do track us, simply because the people behind them are paranoid of loosing their stuff.

The more you have money/resources/power the more you fear loosing it, the only proven way to avoid this is to overexpose your children to wealth ( like forcing your child to smoke the whole packet of cigaretes ) when they are young.

Since most of these paranoids are nouveau riche they keep infecting their children with their paranoid lust for yet more wealth and power to validate their belief that they are winners rather than just lucky.

3 yes controlled usually via economics and social blacklisting but if that doesn't work then "the biggest stick" does the trick.

10. six_tymes

Hello The Register

why do you put ® marks at the end of a quoted phrase? as per the US trade mark and patent office, you cannot trade mark a phrase.

1. Amentheist

Re: Hello The Register

What does the "murcan freedom of speech" law says about using the Extended ASCII code characters?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"why do you put ® marks at the end of a quoted phrase?"

I see you're fairly new here. You'll get used to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Angel

New here and young. Extended ASCII characters were the first emojis and are (thankfully) the only ones ElReg ® (as in ®egister) supports. ☺

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Reg symbol

Every article written by a Reg journalist ends with an ® -- it's just our way of signing off an article and signalling that's all to be read, nothing more. It dates back to magazine days.

And it's R... for Register

C.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Reg symbol

C.

©.

FTFY :-)

4. IGotOut Silver badge

They do it at the end of every article. Would have thought © would be more appropriate though.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"Would have thought © would be more appropriate though."

We're the Register, not the Copywriter.

C.

1. Jonathon Green
          Coat

Re: "Would have thought © would be more appropriate though."

So would that be a registered trademark then?

2. very angry man

No the C is for crap that comes from a mainstream news paper we all love

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Hey, that wasn't nice. The Guardian is trying their best.

5. JCitizen
      Happy

Maybe this..©

Use the copy right symbol just for fun.

11. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Boffin

I often

wonder just how you'll get chipped when you get vaccinated.

Partly because we're already tracked to the nth degree already, but mostly because of the size of chip compared to the needle that delivers the vaccine.

You dont believe me? ... goto your local vets and see what size needle injects the ID chip into your pet... then ask why the vets prefer to have the patients sedated before they do it.... because a huge ass needle hurts like f**k

Whereas a vaccine needle does'nt hurt that much (unless you're a wuss)

1. Chris G
      Alien

Re: I often

AAh! but they are teeny tiny chips made with alien nano technology so they fit through an ordinary needle, and they are not for tracking, it's for mind control.

Forget about using a tinfoil hat too, with this technology it will just act as an amplifying antenna.

All those anti-vaxxers who won't be responding to the mind control when they throw the switch, will be the first ones into the food processors.

> and they are not for tracking, it's for mind control.

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

its the point i've made to a few tracking chip nut jobs! If the technology is available to implant something so small it can fit down a needle used in vaccinations and then be detected at a distance can I have it please for my cats!

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

"wonder just how you'll get chipped when you get vaccinated."

Like this?

4. Sanguma
      Joke

Re: I often ... how you'll get chipped

You've never seen an axeman or a woodchopping competition during an agricultural field day or Agricultural Show?

That's one way to get chipped.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone else not find it strange...

...that an ex-corporate computer nerd now purports to be a global health expert and everyone takes notice?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does anyone else not find it strange...

No. He (a) is clearly not stupid (not some god-like genius, but no fool), (b) can afford really good advisors ('the best advisors' as a much less smart and much less rich man might say), and (c) listens to their advice and goes to the effort of understanding it.

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Unlike Trump, Boris Johnson etc etc

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Trump doesn't need to listen to experts he IS the SME on every subject didn't you know! You name it he knows more about it than anyone. A fecking Know it all of the worst kind. Can you imagine what it must be like to actually work with the prick on anything?

2. Jon 37

He has also made a huge fortune being a "corporate computer nerd", and in his retirement he has chosen to set up a charity to spend some of it. One of the biggest areas his charity focuses on is combatting diseases, including distributing vaccines, trying to wipe out polio, and research into trying to wipe out malaria. As such, Bill and his team have a lot of knowledge and experience with those subjects, and have access to experts to advise them.

His charity is now working on fighting COVID-19, including investments in several vaccine development projects. They've spent over $350 million on COVID-19 already.

(Sources:

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/What-We-Do

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/TheOptimist/Articles/covid19-faq

)

13. Danny 2

How do you warn the police without being arrested?

There is a factory near me due to produce millions of covid vaccines. It's utterly insecure - I know, I used to break into military bases. It needs German German Shepherds (ours are too domesticated), higher, sharper fences and preferably a constant police presence. So far it only has CCTV.

We've all witnessed the utter nutters burning phone masts because 5G. Well the anti-vaxxers are way crazier than them. They will definitely target this facility, and they will likely succeed. But I broke into military bases so the police are hostile to me.

Fuck it, I'm going to have to go into the cop shop and risk it.

1. jukejoint

Re: How do you warn the police without being arrested?

hey Zodiac - write it in cut out letters from some newspaper left somewhere, and use some of your undeciphered code!

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Try an email from some burner phone or something. Just don't include the "I used to break into military bases" bit. Hope this helps.

1. Danny 2

Ta. They haven't started manufacture yet so I'll take a day to have a haircut, shave and make myself look - well less like me, more like normal folk. And I'll stick a nicotine patch on in case I'm in the cells 'til Monday.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Fuck it, I'm going to have to go into the cop shop and risk it."

Tell them you're a "security consultant" with years of experience. Seems to work for hackers.

14. PhilipN Silver badge

Vaccine? What vaccine?

I cannot attest to anywhere else except where I live and Shanghai, to where a friend just returned.

Shanghai is virtually virus-free without a vaccine. He and his family had to stay in quarantine (at home) for 10 days after arrival, and after testing. Now their life is very normal.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: Vaccine? What vaccine?

Presumably more than 20% who are told to quarantine actually do so? Perhaps more like 100%?

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Do you have any idea how nonsensical that remark?

I think he's referring to yesterdays news about holidaymakers returning to the UK and NOT quarantining when they are legally required to do so. People who, when surveyed and/or interviewed by the press actually stated that they didn't see the point as they felt quite well.

15. Efer Brick

Wake up sheeple

Have you not seen that new doc on net flix, Utopia

/S

1. magumba

Re: Wake up sheeple

I watched the original on channel 4 ....far superior...and in the name of the baby jeebus and all his goblins i find myself living in an approximation of it now.

16. Lazlo Woodbine

Why "create" a pandemic to create a vaccine to implant chips?

Why not just add the chips to the flu jabs we get each winter?

Or maybe they already are, and that jab I had last winter has made me think there's a pandemic...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It would be a lot harder sell, and not many people take the flu jab.

Why not just make the tracking chips new and shiny and charge $1000 for them ?

People would queue up

17. Frank Fisher

What pandemic?

There is no pandemic. This is a minor bug. all the media hysteria in the world does not change that. The death toll *from* coronavirus as opposed to *with* coronavirus is well below what we might expect in a highish flu year. 50k died in the uk from flu in 2017/18. we had no panic.

This is the world's biggest over-reaction. And I am surprised the Reg can place such faith in a rushed out vaccine for this coronavirus when there is not one effective vaccine for any other coronavirus.

Nothing that is happening has anything to do with a virus. It is you people ignorant of biological science who would seem to be the tinfoil hatters.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: What pandemic?

Yes, Frank. I take it you don't work in the NHS then?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Right, So all the people who know things about biology and epidemiology and say that it is, in fact, to do with a virus, they're all wrong, right, because some person in the internet – some person who, inevitably, also doesn't believe in climate change I note – says so.

Of course, how silly we all have been to believe, you know, actual experts, rather than you. Where do I sign up to your cretin cult?

1. kirk_augustin@yahoo.com

@Captain Dallas, if the "experts" are not lying, they how come they lied before, like when they claimed there was no immunity to covid-19, that immunity would not last, that no one hard inherent immunity, that you did not gain immunity by recovering, etc. Just tell me ONE entrenched epidemic in all of history that was ever ended by anything other than herd immunity? Or how about telling me one epidemic in all of history that was ended by "social distancing"? The closest anyone can come is Ebola, that was ended by quarantine, but quarantine is NOT social distancing. Quarantine is fast. Social distancing is the opposite, and makes an epidemic potentially last FOREVER.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

These experts you talk about have they actually done their own investigations of the dead?

I ask as Science unlike Engineering is all about getting a grant, Engineers on the otherhand say "that thing over there. I made that"

This to me is significant in that Engineers do not claim to be able to do something if you give them enough money they say "look what I actually did, do you one too cheap if you want".

I remember a Scientist telling the world that British beef was "safe" when abolutely nothing is absolutely safe.

I have also noted that in the UK there has been a general lowering of the standards such that what used to be part of 'O' levels is now at taught at'A' level instead

This dumbing down has been presented as being essential to allow more people on to a degree that before but from my point of view just means that those that would not have got on a degree on the old system either do not complete their course or are allowed to pass when they would have failed before.

Add in that there are fewer jobs for science degrees than holders then you might get a situation where they would fall over themselves for a bite of the apple.

18. Captain Dallas

Question for Reg staff

So presumably as 'anti-vaxxers' are 'tin foil hat wearing loons', all the sensible, level-headed staff of The Reg will be in the first wave of recipients of Gates' (not a doctor) 'vaccine', yes? You can't write articles like this and not agree unequivocally to doing so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Question for Reg staff

I'll certainly volunteer for it.

1. kirk_augustin@yahoo.com

It is foolish to volunteer for something you know nothing about. For example, one of the proposed vaccines would attack all corona spikes, and cause them to become clogged up. And while that would stop all corona viruses, what they forget is that the whole point of those spikes is to mimick the spike of exosomes. So it is possible this vaccine would also cause all the exosomes to be rendered useless as well. And the point of exosomes is to allow cells to communicate with the immune system. So if you ruin the exosomes, it could be you end all other vaccinations, and make us vulnerable to all other pathogens again, that we used to have immunity to, like polio, smallpox, etc.

A vaccine like that may have been proposed, but from your description I think it highly unlikely it could ever get anywhere near testing let alone production.

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Gates' (not a doctor) 'vaccine'

Ummm... you do realise he's not making it himself, personally, right?

19. Nick Pettefar

Windows

I almost forgive Gates for Windows nowadays. Almost.

20. TripodBrandy

False dichotomy

So not being totally OK with Bill Gates altering your DNA earns you the label "anti-vaxxer"... how much did the Foundation pay you for this article, El Reg?

1. Schultz

"Bill Gates altering your DNA"

Go back to biology class, grade 6 immediately!

Looks like Bill Gates should really invest into education. Oh, he already does that? Then I guess it'll have to be mind control to get the pupils focussed and learning.

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: altering your DNA

Wow. Just... wow. You really don't have a clue how vaccines work, do you?

21. kirk_augustin@yahoo.com

Vaccine useless

Obviously we can't wait for a vaccine, and with 90% of the infected people showing up as asymptomatic, then the majority of the population is already inherently immune, and we are VERY close to herd immunity already. Instead of waiting for a vaccine, we should just ask for 10% of the young and healthy population to volunteer to be deliberately infected, and just get it all over with. It will not likely return unless someone goes back into those bat caves again. A vaccine against a disease that will never be able to come back is a total waste of resources and money.

1. devTrail

Re: Vaccine useless

Defining the vaccine a waste of money depends on the point of view. Try and see it the way of Big Pharma, such a vaccine could generate huge profits and even if it did not work nobody could prove it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Vaccine useless

No evidence to support your claim. Article below is from July.

https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleid=26868&publicId=395

3. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: disease that will never be able to come back

Your evidence for this bold claim is....?

22. Rich Bee

Show Bill the Gate.

Typical sort of bluster from the idiot that can't even pronounce the word "vaccine" properly. "Vaxeeeeeen".

Data Modelling, we've seen the sort of "Data Modelling" that comes from these megalomaniacs, you end up with lying chancers like Neil Ferguson getting it wrong every time without fail in orders of magnitude that would ordinarily see you never employed again.

Eradicate the world of Coronavirus! Hurrah! Yippee! GTF.

Coronavirus are generally reactions from the body its self to adverse conditions. Why do we call the most simple coronavirus "A Cold". If you get wet and soaking and your system feels depleted you get "A Cold." Is old Billy the Blag going to eliminate the possibility of that occuring? No. He isn't.

You may not have heard of this crazy thing called an immune system. That is ALWAYS what does the clever stuff with illnesses, without exception. Vaxeeeens are only supposed to kick start your immune system into doing the actual clever stuff. Unfortunately they chuck a load of dodgy crap into these Vaxeeeeeeeeens on top of it all with their lovely adjuvants. Getting these basic illnesses is actually a positive thing as it keeps your system working in top form.

Cue the usual "Ur not an epidemiologist or an sciencetits!" and "Ure killing my Gran!". Change the record you regurgitative buffoons.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Show Bill the Gate.

Aaah yes. You're the sort who believes many hundreds of thousands dead globally is fine because as a percentage it's a very small number.

Without understanding or caring the percentage is only this small because of the drastic efforts taken (eventually, in some countries) to control it.

23. Vegemite Sandwich
    Childcatcher

Prevention could be low-tech and cheap

So in the meantime, what about prevention?

Here in the States we can get 240 days worth of 2000-5000 IUs of Vit D3 for US$12.95. A year's worth for around $15-16, or certainly ~$20. That's a no-brainer.

Then Zinc 50mg and Selenium 200mcg, both quite inexpensive. All three have been shown by thousands of studies to strengthen the immune system, while many surveys show large portions of the population are deficient in all three. Do thousands of studies = the gold plated, double-blind trials which the FDA requires? In their eyes, no; but at this point who cares? A thousand University studies on D3+Zinc+Selenium is plenty of evidence. Sufficient D3 in the body positively affects ~2,000 different genes in humans. Low D3 is coincident with, and/or an indicator of, many major illnesses or syndromes. Any decent search on PubMed will show this.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=d3+deficiency

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=zinc+immune

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=selenium+immune

Based on recent Amazon purchases:

D3 (Cholecalciferal) 2000IU 240 days = $13 x 1.5 = $20 for 1 year

Zinc Mono Methionine 50mg 120 days = $13 x 3 = $39 for 1 year

Selenomethionine 200mcg 365 days = $10

Total for 1 year = ~US$69

Then there are other less well-known immune enhancers:

Quercetin - cardiovascular health, antihistamine effect that may improve inflammatory and immune response, and supports respiratory health

N-Acetyl Cysteine - free-radical protection, glutathione precursor, supports healthy lung and liver functions

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=quercetin+coronavirus

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=n-acetyl+cysteine

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=n-acetyl+cysteine+coronavirus

Sure, vitamins, minerals and other supplements are not shiny and hi-tech, but we need all the help we can get. Our first line of defense is our own immune system--we should use what is already at hand to strengthen it.

1. Screwed

Re: Prevention could be low-tech and cheap

As so often, encouragement to enhance our immune systems. Without regard to people who already have over-stimulated immune systems. (Common in some auto-immune disorders.) And that a "cytokine storm" appears to be a major problem in Covid-19 - which might need the immune system to be damped down a bit rather that strengthened.

Taking selenium might be OK - but it depends very much on where you live and what you eat whether it is sensible. To take a trivial example, someone who eats brazil nuts every day might already have high levels of selenium. And large parts of north America have fairly high soil selenium levels.

Things are a touch more subtle than doing a supermarket sweep through Holland and Barrett.

24. Danny Boyd

Seeming lapse in logical chain

"The only way to eliminate the threat of this disease somewhere is to eliminate it everywhere," said Gates.

OK, let's see. There are two variants: the vaccine(s) is (are) effective, or the opposite. If the opposite, no need to produce them at all, and rich and poor countries are in the same sorry state of affairs. So let's presume the vaccines are effective.

If the vaccines are effective, and rich countries vaccinate their populations, what happens when the virus is brought in from a poor country? Whom will this virus infect except die-hard anti-vaxxers, who deserve what they get for their stupidity?

Of course, rich countries should be humane towards poor countries and help them with vaccines, but the reasons are humanitarian and moral, not epidemiological.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seeming lapse in logical chain

It is Bill and it does make a good soundbite even if he is just plain wrong he isn't really an expert at anything but business and attention seeking.

He might once have been an expert at something else but unless you keep doing it all the time then you stop being an expert.

As to your idea that it will be a control/fitting punishement on anti-vaxxors, the current evidence suggest that the disease will only be as bad on them as it is on everyone else.This given that there is not any known working vaccine todate and that the stats are suspect due to lumping people who dies with a covide infection with people who died because of covide infection

With all this being said there has been a lot of drakonian laws created recently to "keep people safe" when what evidence we have says that only a small percentage of people have died from being infected

They could have more accurate statistics but IMHO have instead made certain in the UK for example that the stats are more terrifying than accurate.

With all this hype you can see that BREXIT is still going ahead regardless, so you have to wonder what the GOV's real priorites are. Saving people as per the hype or getting what they want whilst everyone is effectively confined to house arrest

25. Conundrum1885

Re. Overpopulation

Up until we find out that experience in COBOL is more important than first thought.

If everyone over 60 dies, we could end up reverting to a pre-industrial civilization because it may be impossible to

transfer these skills to younger folks.

Also this looks a *lot* like 1939 level thinking so admins need to decide what is acceptable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like