back to article Singapore Airlines turns A380 into a restaurant, delivers plane food to homes

Among the odder products of the COVID-19 pandemic are "flights to nowhere" operated by airlines that want to give travellers the chance to experience all the glory of air travel without the hassle of going anywhere. Taiwanese and Australian airlines have flown such missions, the latter offering seven hours of lowish-altitude …

1. RM Myers
    Joke

Among the odder products of the COVID-19 pandemic are “flights to nowhere”

So, basically the same as flying into the Newark, New Jersey airport then.

1. Chris Miller

Re: Among the odder products of the COVID-19 pandemic are “flights to nowhere”

Good joke, but if I'm flying to NYC, I greatly prefer EWR to JFK. Apart from flights being slightly cheaper, immigration is better (still crap, though), as are links into Manhattan.

1. rg287

Also, on the way out of EWR the captain won't tell you "We're just taxiing to the runway. This being JFK, we expect to take off in about 40minutes".

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Used to be that EWR was the only one with communist transit into NYC. Monorail to train station and a train straight into Penn st.

Have they finally built a way to get to jfk without a national debt taxi fare and a trip through a Mad Max set?

1. Insert sadsack pun here

JFK has had communist rail transit for 17 years: monorail to Jamaica train station and then LIRR to Manhattan. It works pretty well! Even before that there was a bus to the subway (which tbf was a long ride into Manhattan). LGA has always had communist bus transport too - bus to Bryant Park/Port Authority or a fairly rubbish bus to 125th St or Astoria.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

Is "communist" some new USAism for commuting? In the rest of the world, Communist has a different meaning, although they did have some surprisingly good railway systems.

Besides, why would visitors wish to leave the Garden State in such a hurry?

1. jake Silver badge

"Is "communist" some new USAism for commuting?"

I have never heard the term used that way here on the Left Coast, but I suspect they mean public transportation. The Right Coast has a rather poor sense of humo(u)r at the best of times.

"why would visitors wish to leave the Garden State in such a hurry?"

You've obviously never been there. To give you an idea of how bad that part of the world actually is, most New Jerseyites actually think Florida is a nice place to vacation.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>"why would visitors wish to leave the Garden State in such a hurry?"

Why is New Jersey called "The Garden State"?

"Because 'Oil and Petrochemical Refinery State' wouldn't fit on a license plate?

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Yeah, I know it's because they have "plenty of plants" but, having cycle toured from Newark airport down to the Appalachians, I can report that much of New Jersey is pleasantly rural. Your view from a freeway may vary.

I avoided Florida, because I really don't like high humidity.

3. RM Myers

Actually, I almost used JFK instead of Newark. I've flown through JFK 4 different times in the heat of the summer when they have lost power. There is nothing like sitting in a crowded airport, with minimal lights, no air conditioning, and flights being delayed like crazy. One time we had to wait over four hours because the replacement crew for the next leg was stuck in traffic in the Holland Tunnel due to the street lights being borked by the power outage. But in the end, Newark won out for their overall consistently poor experiences. Obviously, YMMV.

2. jake Silver badge

Empty prose.

"its offer to sell bar carts filled with myriad tiny bottles of wine and other in-flight refueling supplies."

FTFY

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Empty prose.

Yeah, it's odd to see a Reg journo refer to booze as "tat".

Included with the sold-off trollies were:

40 mini bottles (187ml) of Australian white wine

40 mini bottles (187ml) of Australian red wine

one full-sized bottle of Champagne

one sleeve of Tim Tams

one sleeve of savoury biscuits

one 200g packet of smoked almonds

two Qantas business class amenity kits (featuring ASPAR Travel Essentials skincare products)

a 100% combed cotton Sheridan throw made exclusively for Qantas First Class

two pairs of Qantas Business Class pyjamas – one M/L and L/XL (if you want a smaller size, just give them a few washes in hot water)

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Pint

Reg journo..."

Would most probably prefer a cart full of --->

2. druck Silver badge

Worth it for the Tim Tams alone!

1. Flywheel

In a sleeve, no less!

3. batfink

~20 (full-sized) bottles of wine, a bottle of champagne, some random PJ's and a rug for $1500? Eeek!

Mind you, there are Timtams.

1. jake Silver badge

You're also getting the cart itself, which start at around that price new (sans drawers, logos, other decorations & etc., which are optional extras).

3. 0laf
    Unhappy

glory of air travel

I may have had some poor experiences but in general is airtravel not the most miserable way to travel?

Or at least for the last 30yr. Something to be endured rather than enjoyed.

1. Robert Sneddon

Re: glory of air travel

is airtravel not the most miserable way to travel?

You could always try travelling from, say, Birmingham to Strasbourg on foot plus a little Channel swim in the middle and compare it to the travails of travelling by air for the same journey. Chacun à son goût, as they say.

2. jake Silver badge

Scheduled air transport is awful. Nay, make that absolutely atrocious.

Military air travel can be OK, but usually isn't.

General Aviation is the only way to fly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Military air travel can be OK, but usually isn't.

The only OK part of travelling in a C130 is the bit where you get to jump out of the back.

1. timrowledge

The *bad* part is when you get to jump out the back unexpectedly...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to be outdone, British Airways will soon offer a service where you can pay for a stewardess to come to your house and be generally disinterested and unhelpful for a couple of hours. Or American Airlines will send round an accountant who will steal an olive out of the expensive lunch that you paid for.

1. 0laf

If it's BA the member of staff will turn up 7hr late, look at you blankly then wander off muttering how it's not their job.

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

flights to nowhere

Didn't RyanAir have destinations that landed in the "middle of nowhere" before COVID-19?

1. Flywheel
      Thumb Up

Re: flights to nowhere

Yes, and I went to one! It was for a rave on the German/Dutch border on an old airforce base, and literally in the middle of nowhere. Tiny, but nice airport building - they only had Visa ATMs causing widespread consternation to MasterCard holders...

6. Keith Oborn

Ryanair

Lots of potential here. For a tiny sum, a gobby Irish git will meet you somewhere godforsaken and 20 miles away from home. He may be up to three hours late. He will not, however, start shouting until you pay the "verbal abuse" fee. Having taken a lesson from Monty Python the duration of the abuse depends on how much you pay. There is also the option to take the additional "targeted abuse" option that allows choice of subject and targets in your immediate family. Capacity for the latter is limited, and prices will change every nanosecond to reflect this. Once complete, the aforementioned Irishman will bundle you into a cramped, dark, van, drive you around for an hour or two and dump you in a muddy field with no signposts.

Now Easyjet on the other hand--. You do LIKE being painted orange, don't you?

7. ThatOne Silver badge
    Pint

Drats!

> Australians last week had a chance to buy a drinks cart

I would had loved to buy one: It's a great conversation starter, and real value for money since they are almost indestructible. (I don't care for the content though, I would restock it with my own supplies.)

Hope they do something similar locally (and I hear about it in time).

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Drats!

You can buy one new (if empty) for roughly the same price, and kit it out any way you like. A friend of mine has a couple of them (bought at scrap prices[0]), one he uses for spare parts storage on track days, one he uses for all his drone kit, and another one in his nursery greenhouse for the little bits & bobs that he uses when starting seedlings, transplanting, rooting cuttings, and that kind of thing.

[0] Alan Steel & Supply in Redwood City in his case, call the scrap yard(s) near your local airport and see if you get lucky.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Thanks!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"they are almost indestructible."

Maybe they could replace all the 737MAX seats with trolleys. They can't be THAT much more uncomfortable and might make surviving the flight a tad better.

8. IGotOut Silver badge

Do this at home.

Wait outside your house for 7 hours before entering. If it's late, find something really uncomfortable to sleep on.

Once in, sit on your sofa then immediately shove something against your legs and sit like this for 8 hours. For extra effect, have something dig in your spine, have your elbows tied to your side and place a rubbish bin next to you, thus giving you an authentic fellow passenger simulation.

Take a can of Coke, empty 90% of it away, rip up a fiver and then drink the remaining amount.

Repeat above for beer, but if you want another, have someone tell you that there is no more as they have run out.

Stick on a movie from 10 years ago, ideally having spent £20 on some 50p headphones.

If you require the toilet, make sure you piss on your feet to get that authentic sticky floor effect.

Next, take a microwave meal, heat several times then serve lukewarm, eat using plastic cutlery, that couldn't cut custard, feel free to spill it over your lap.

Finally, get someone to confiscate all your electronic goods before shoving a gloved hand up every crevice you have.

9. Sgt_Oddball
    Pint

Once again...

Yorkshire leads the way.

We've had flights to nowhere and from the same airport for years...

Icon because I really miss a good pint of landlord now.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Once again...

"We've had flights to nowhere and from the same airport for years..."

So has anyone holding a private pilot's license. Sometimes many times on a single day, especially early on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like