back to article Atari threatens to hit fourth VCS shipping deadline, provides pictures of boxes as proof of product delivery

Atari may finally hit one of its deadlines – its fourth – over its retro VCS games console, three years after the project was launched. Having blown past deadlines on December 2017, July 2019, and March 2020, Atari this week posted a series of pictures of boxes on its Indiegogo fundraising page, Twitter profile, and Medium …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Box of sand

Looks no different

1. JDPower Bronze badge

Re: Box of sand

Sand? No, there's Silicon in sand, there's no way there's any silicon content in them boxes.

2. Maelstorm Bronze badge

Some companies just need to be put out of their misery and get it over with. Atari is one of those companies. They had a good run in the 1980s with consoles, and in the 1990s with games and such. But now they are just pathetic. Who's writing/porting games for it anyways? What games does it have?

Just saying.

1. Danny 2

I miss my Atari. Cohen and Ceelow.

Ah, they'll never, never reach the moon

At least the one that we are after

It's out there on the broken sea

And it carries no survivors.

Yeah I'm sorry, I can't afford a Ferrari,

But that don't mean I can't get you there.

I guess he's an Xbox and I'm more Atari,

About the way you play your game ain't fair.

2. Cuddles

Atari was put out of its misery a long time ago. The problem is that once a company is dead, there's nothing to stop someone else running a company with the same name. In this case, the name had basically no value so whoever happened to own the corpse once it stopped twitching was happy to sell it off for peanuts. The current Atari has nothing to do with the old one, it's just some random who scribbled the word "Atari" on their name badge in green felt tip.

1. Sam Therapy
        Thumb Up

True. The current owners are my former employers, who were back then known as Infogrames.

1. Mike 16

Current owners?

Still? That's got to be some sort of record for "Holding rights to Atari name and logo without producing squat". At least way ahead of JTS, Hasbro, and maybe one more before this bunch.

3. redpawn

December 24

What Year or decade?

Gosh I wish I had one, and the old games to play on it. Oh wait, I have an emulator and an original which comes out of the box every few years. What was the $399 for again?

1. Danny 2

Re: December 24

To hug and to kiss and to call it George.

The 1980s were awful, nasty, and I would sell my soul to get back then.

4. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

This whole thing sounds a bit pointless

5. RM Myers
    Unhappy

"...traveling by ship from China to Chicago"

I have a feeling this is going to be "on a slow boat to from China".

1. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge

Re: "...traveling by ship from China to Chicago"

And then they'll be impounded under a Chinese tech import embargo...

6. Little Mouse
    Headmaster

What's the difference between...

a normal photo and an exclusive photo?

1. TheProf

Re: What's the difference between...

and a naked photo?

1. BebopWeBop
        Devil

Re: What's the difference between...

Well from what I read, many many naked photos are not exclusive - whether the participants want it to be or not.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Photo as proof. Like a well-known courier offering a picture of a parcel on a doorstep as proof that they'd delivered something to me. Only snag - sufficient detail to show it wasn't my doorstep but insufficient to show whose doorstep it was. Odd coincidence - in the middle of reading these comments I had to go and receive an equally heavy parcel from the same vendor, despatched yesterday but delivered by a different courier.

8. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni

9. tin 2

"It is unusual for a company to post pictures of its product being boxed as proof it exists"

So true. But if they're so close to shipping, why not just ship and have them land at peoples houses as definitive proof, rather than jump around a few days earlier about boxes on pallets? Weird.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

I'd guess that it has something to do with the link at the bottom where clueless people could pay for one. Maybe they're hoping to rope a few more people into the scam before they go hide.

10. aje21
    Joke

404 not found

Was I the only one who got to the bit where they were talking about units which were meant to be shipped and never turned up and thought the 404 was somehow significant?

1. Anonymous Custard
      Trollface

Re: 404 not found

Nope, that one raised a wry smile here too...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 404 not found

Glad I wasn't the only saddo!

11. Sykowasp

Pointless, underpowered device.

It could have been so much more, but the company has misfired at every step. There was a lack of vision and the delays never made sense. The cost is astronomical for what you get - a very low-end embedded system.

They should have made a nice Atari-styled case for an off-the-shelf small form factor motherboard, and provided a matching styled controller.

They'd probably get more positive vibes selling the case and controller as a Raspberry Pi 4 enclosure, and including RetroPi in the box.

1. Mike 16

Pointless?

Perhaps you were under the impression that this was a scrappy and creative bunch getting ready to open on Broadway with a Hamilton-beater.

Cast your thoughts more in the direction of "Springtime for [redacted lest moderators ban me]".

As for empty boxes, I recall in the 1970s a semiconductor company shipping empty (ceramic) packages in places of Chips, on a contract with harsh penalties for delayed delivery but none for QA rejects.

At least they weren't shipping (briefly) working chips with corrosive contaminants that ate the bond wires after a month or so powered on. If you transpose that tale to the current subject, I hope the eager recipients have a venomous snake handler handy for the unboxing.

12. Steve Todd

Given that you can buy a 4 core, 8 thread Ryzen (2500U) mini PC

For less money than Atari are asking then you have to wonder why you’d want one of these in preference.

13. NanoMeter

Get a Spectrum Next instead

It can run Atari 2600 games and of course games for ZX Spectrum (Next) and other Z80 machines.

The "photos" from the productions is probably just CGI anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like