back to article Square Kilometre Array signs off on construction plans – UK last holdout before building phase begins

The Board of the Square Kilometer Array has signed off on plans to build the colossal radio-telescope. A note from chair Catherine Cesarsky posted on Tuesday says that a meeting conducted on September 17th and 18th considered the three core documents that describe the project – the “SKA-1 Construction Proposal”, “Observatory …

1. Roger Kynaston
    Go

Pure science benefits us mere mortals

This sounds like a seriously cool project. So attempts to probe the deepest recesses of the universe will have direct benefits to us microsocpic dots on a microsopic dot!

Hopefully the Johnson and his other idiots can find time from buggering up Blighty to sign off on this.

1. Gordon 10
      Unhappy

Re: Pure science benefits us mere mortals

I dont know which might be worse. Them not knowing about it and leaving it alone, or them noticing it and embuggerancing it up in some way to profit Dom and chums.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge
      Joke

No, as of 2020, UK policy is to create a new universe for exclusive British use (and Northern Ireland maybe) instead of using the European Galileo universe.

Well, I hope I'm joking.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A shame really, it could celebrate a very English musical style.

Although one that did rely on immigrants which could be a problem for the current government

1. Majikthise
          Joke

No ! That would be sheer Madness!

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I thought you were making a point about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Herschel at first. Music of the spheres and all that. Though I had him muddled with the Halley Orchestra. ;-)

2. Admiral Grace Hopper

"a pair of supercomputers mightier than any currently in existence"

Please tell me that they're called Deep Thought and Deeper Thought.

1. Andy Non Silver badge
      Coat

Re: "a pair of supercomputers mightier than any currently in existence"

And the answer is: 3 x 7 x 2.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: And the answer is ...

I thought it was 6x9 ...

... in base 13, naturally

2. richardcox13
      Coat

Re: "a pair of supercomputers mightier than any currently in existence"

I don't think these will be quite up to that level (it seems unlikely either singly or together they could persuade a legless Arcturan Megadonkey to go for a walk).

So perhaps The Great Hyperlobic Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler and the Millard Gargantubrain? After all, relatively speaking, this is packet calculator stuff.

(Mine's the one with the radio scripts in the pocket.)

3. Jellied Eel Silver badge

How to make a planet from pebbles

Or make a fascinating addition to FlightRadar. Prospectus reckons the array could detect airport radars light years away.

From a quick skim of the prospectus, it looks fascinating. And Jodrell Bank! And with my engineer's hat on, looks relatively simple, ie lots of antennas to mass produce. Then with my network engineer's hat on, fibre those back up to an ODF, add switches and the rest becomes a software engineer's problem.. Such are the joys of scaling. Seems a bit like a phased array radar on steroids, and when they break down data rates to 'only' the equivalent of 600 blu-ray discs an hour, seems vaguely manageable.

But then processing and interpreting that data falls firmly in my 'I want!' category. No real idea what the data will mean, but I'm sure I'll find some of it fascinating..

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Roger Kynaston

Re: Of all that data...

Shirly that is the Musk Ox's satellites?

5. JetSetJim
    Paris Hilton

Units?

>130 petabytes of it each year

what's that in units of pr0n? We have no standard data unit

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Units?

Isn't data represented as the amount of text in a library of congress?

2. renke

What about a Lenna (768 kB)? If I'm not totally off this should be 169 TeraLenna for SKA's yearly output.

3. Yes Me Silver badge

1) Why Paris, please?

2) 130 PB/yr is less that 10 times what the Worldwide LHC Computational Grid can already achieve, so it isn't much of a stretch given the rate of change in the technology.

1. Kobus Botes
        Boffin

@ Yes Me

130 PB/y...

The prospectus is old. According to SKA's Fact Sheet they now anticipate 600 PB/y.

The growth in antennas are equally impressive: they plan to ultimately have 250 stations in Australia, with 10 000 low frequency aperture array antennas per station.

Mind-boggling all-over.

To think how impressed I was in my youth with my big plans: I think the ultimate hyper-biggest I could conceive of would probably have amounted to one dish antenna connected to a mini computer (if that).

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I wonder about the smaller array in SA. If the objective was long baseline interferometry I'd have thought the two arrays would have been more or less the same size.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

From skimming the paper, they're 2 different antenna designs covering different frequencies. And presumably there'd be scope in future to expand the number/area of the antenna array(s) as more partners get on board. Presumably whatever's learned from the SKA will help shape number & type of future antennas.

1. Kobus Botes
        Boffin

@ Jellied Eel

...to expand the number/area of the antenna array(s)...

3000 antennas with a base-line of 3000km across southern Africa. See the illustration of the layout on the bottom right of the page.

See also here for more info on SKA participation in Africa.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Different science goals.

VLBI lets you get incredible resolution of very bright objects at the expense of a lot of observing time.

This is about studying a lot of faint distant objects in lots of wavelengths simultaneously to study lots of different physics. You can still get pretty good resolution across the size of the sites but I don't think there are plans to do VLBI.

7. tullio

The largest radio telescope today is not Arecibo but FAST, the 500 meters antenna in China.

1. renke

Or the RATAN-600, as largest individual telescope (though not a filled dish, unlike FAST and Arecibo).

8. Pete 2 Silver badge

spinoff?

> remove irrelevant data that will flow from each antenna

Any chance we could apply that sort of filtering to social media, too?

Just think! An entire year's worth of warbles reduced to no more than a handful of useful, relevant, inoffensive, grammatically correct and factual messages.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: spinoff?

The difference is that in radio astronomy you can add up lots of low signal<noise data and come up with an answer. If you sum up the internet you get "cats are funny/cute" and "people are idiots" which we already knew.

9. Roger Kynaston

SKA

I hope this is their theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA1ZRIQuHy4

1. Kobus Botes

Re: SKA

@ Roger Kynaston

No Israelites, I'm afraid (not in an official capacity, though I am sure some individuals may be).

10. DS999 Silver badge

I've been hearing about the square kilometer array for so long

I was genuinely surprised when reading this article that it hasn't even started construction. I would have been willing to bet money that it had been operational for a few years...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: I've been hearing about the square kilometer array for so long

I was of a similar mind, then I read the bit about sovereign nations signing treaties...

2. Kobus Botes

Re: I've been hearing about the square kilometer array for so long

@DS999

MeerKAT has been in operation since July 2016 and has already made some significant discoveries.

It was designed and built as a proof of concept, as well as to serve as a test bed. It will form part of the mid-range antennas of SKA eventually.

11. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Finally, better late than never, something able to enable the changing of everything?

That's not TS/SCI, is it?

Article 11 [Intellectual Property Rights] of the Convention establishing the Square Kilometre Array Observatory is a particularly hopeful read, with paragraph 2, 3 and 4 all normally being extremely tricky to guarantee do not suffer from wanton abuse and/or wilful misuse.

Although of course, if/when such wanton abuse and wilful misuse of killer projects/absolutely fabulous fabless programs is always to prove suddenly fatal upon discovery, and is well enough understood by any and all who would be involved in such projects and programs to be so policed and protected, is such as good a guarantee of compliance as one is ever likely to get from participating entities.

Ye olde, one strike and you're out forever incentive/00 bond :-)..... works wonderful well, every time if you are licensing to thrill.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Finally, better late than never, something able to enable the changing of everything?

And Article 19, paragraph 1 is a short interesting list.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon