back to article It's the year of Linux on the... ThinkPad as Lenovo extends out-of-the-box Ubuntu support to nearly 30 machines

Lenovo is expanding pre-installed Linux support to more of its machines in a bid to court the sizable developer pond. Available globally, punters will be able to order roughly 30 different models of PCs across the ThinkStation and ThinkPad lines that come with Ubuntu pre-installed. All devices will come with the latest LTS …

1. Joe W Silver badge
    Pint

As in the text

Linux on Thinkpads never was much of a problem (except mine, bloody own fault). They source non exotic parts, and usually don't cut corners (yeah, mine excepted, a cheapskate bought it). Sort of certifying it for Linux (or shipping it with Linux installed) is another step up though.

Well done!

1. Lon24

Re: As in the text

Which was the dodgy Thinkpad?

2. sad_loser

before thinkpads

It was always the Toshiba Portege that was my go-to for laptops ans they always played nicely with linux.

Damn fine machines as well - had two 7200 series with decent screens, keyboards and formidable magnesium alloy chassis.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: before thinkpads

Toshiba's historic problem was soldered-on mainboard RAM on many models. RAM problems meant either biting the bullet and paying for a costly repair or tossing the entire unit.

Hmm. Proto-Apple!! Never thought of it like that before...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: before thinkpads

Me: Stares lovingly at my ancient business class Dell

There's even has a downloadable .iso of Ubuntu 10 in Dell's drivers and support webpage:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-e6420/drivers

3. Chris Miller

Windows licences, after all, represent a not-insignificant chunk of any PC's retail price.

Do you think Lenovo (or any other manufacturer) pay list price for their tens of millions of licences each year? I'd be surprised if it's in double digits of £ per unit.

1. Snake Silver badge

Licenses

Exactly. Anyone who thinks that Windows licenses, purchased in the millions, is expensive per unit in comparison to hardware units costs, I have a bridge over the Thames to sell you.

1. ICL1900-G3

Re: Licenses

Downvoted for cliché.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Licenses

Incredibly banal cliche, and not even a valid cliche because McCulloch knew what he was doing and to this day the Lake Havasu Bridge is proving to be an astute purchase.

A cliche that makes a fool of everyone that uses it.

2. Tom 7

They'll probably be paying a lot more now!

3. steviebuk Silver badge

Isn't the point that they past the cost on to the buyer. Even if they got it for a few pounds per device, they can slap 50+ onto the list price and claim "You're paying the extra for the Windows license innit" when really they are just using that as an excuse for extra profit.

4. Ryan 7

"18:04"

"Loenovo"

Short of proofreaders at Vulture Towers? :D

5. deive

Is that the first laptop you can buy with Linux and AMD? I'm very tempted!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

No, but it's still tempting.

1. deive

Oh yeah, they were beaten to it by a few months! I totally missed this https://twitter.com/TUXEDOComputers/status/1263862722564960256?s=20

6. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

Windows licences, after all, represent a not-insignificant chunk of any PC's retail price.

Citation?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows licences, after all, represent a not-insignificant chunk of any PC's retail price.

I can tell you that the company I work for started shipping our products with a custom flavour of Ubuntu a few years ago, because many customers were tired of paying for Windows. Unfortunately I do not know how much shipping with Linux shaved off the price (and we are talking about hundreds, maybe low thousands, of units).

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Windows licences, after all, represent a not-insignificant chunk of any PC's retail price.

Dodgy vendors sell OEM windows licenses on their own for under $30 and I expect they are doubling their money at least.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like