back to article Microsoft's OS joins macOS and Linux at the Flutter party, but guess which one performs best? Hint: It's not Windows

Google's Flutter team has introduced the first alpha release targeting Windows, extending the cross-platform development tool to enable the same code to run on Android, iOS, Linux, macOS and web apps. Flutter is an open-source project designed to meet the challenge developers face in supporting web and mobile platforms without …

1. Sin2x

Who the hell cares about Flutter. Dart is a dead language since Lars Bak left Google, there's just no future for it. None.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you think that because you believe Google will drop Dart with Lars gone, or because you think that they will mangle the language without him around to keep order?

1. nautica Silver badge
      2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Google will drop Dart "

Why break the habit of a lifetime?

2. Bill 21

Flutter's very easy to work with, though. Haters hate I s'pose.

1. Sin2x

Micrsoft FrontPage was easy too. Your point?

3. Tom Graham

Does that mean Chrome is also dead? Since he created that.

Am I going to have to switch to Edge? Damn.

1. Sin2x

If you take a look at V8 development (Lars did not coordinate the development of Chrome as a whole). you will see that it's pretty stagnant nowadays. The difference is that V8 does not have competition at the moment -- unlike Dart.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Boffin

Performance

Alpha code on Windows performs less well than mature code on Linux? Why is this a story?

1. davidsh

Re: Performance

Because Android uses surfaceflinger which is very different than Gtk+.

The rendering engine uses skia anyway, the rendering engine of Chromium, so it's battle tested in any case.

3. RobLang

I had a play, then hit a wall

I enjoyed learning Flutter and Dart for fun hacky-home projects (it is cool) and then wondered what the commercial drawbacks might be - the first one I always check is developers. Are there any even remotely nearby. The answer was: no. I could find Dart/Flutter agencies who would "build a front end for your backend" but recruitment seemed to be a dead end. If they keep pouring money into it, perhaps it will pick up over time.

4. Rich 2 Silver badge

Compile dart to JavaScript?

What a messed up world we live in.

By the way, if you want cross platform native execution, take a look at JUCE - written in C++ rather than some obscure “nobody uses it, or have even heard of it” language

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: take a look at JUCE - written in C++

Great! Memory management is for wimps, I need something that hides lots of obscure buffer overflow vulnerabilities!

5. d3bug
    Mushroom

I say we use BASIC

PureBASIC is cross platform (Windows, Linux, OSX, and even Amiga). Forget these fly-by-night languages... C? pshaw.... who wants to learn all that cryptic fprint and double symbols for math when you can just PRINT and say a=b+c?.... nobody, that's who...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like