back to article MP promises to grill UK.gov over revelations that Uber handed '2,000 pieces' of user data to London cops a year

Conservative backbencher David Davis has vowed to ask questions in Parliament over Uber's seemingly unregulated sharing of data with police and transport regulators as it battled to save its London private hire operator's licence. The outspoken one-time Brexit Secretary took to Twitter on Friday, sharing a story from The Times …

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Dirty business?

Sadly, no. Just normal business these days. The only offence is getting caught.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Dirty business?

It's been that way since the days of Nixon... he just got caught.

2. big_D Silver badge

Re: Dirty business?

Passing the information onto the police or TfL without a valid warrant or the informed consent of the identifiable persons whose data is being shared is a grave breech of GDPR.

I guess that their only hope is that Brexit goes through and the UK data protection laws are castrated, before this gets to court.

2. Chris G

The sooner Uber goes under the better.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>The sooner Uber goes under the better.

What we need is an app to allow ordinary black cab drivers to report people they suspect to be undesirables

1. Gordon 10

Im sure Priti is working on that as we speak.

Papers Citizen!

(Fortunately Track and Trace debacle shows us a Govt immygrant tracking app wont be worth the paper its code listing is printed on). People still print code listings right?

2. DaveEdi

Which would be just about everyone!

2. codejunky Silver badge

@Chris G

"The sooner Uber goes under the better."

Why? And this article seems to read that the public bodies abusing their position. 'Wanna work here give us what we want'

1. Gordon 10
        FAIL

Re: @CodeJunky

Errr. Because Uber was the data controller - hence the responsibility to guard the data was theirs.

1. Oh Matron!
          Happy

I come here expecting opinions, and finally find someone who actually understands GDPR! What is the world coming to!

@Gordon 10

"Errr. Because Uber was the data controller - hence the responsibility to guard the data was theirs."

Ok thats fine. No dispute. So the public regulators say 'nice business you got there, shame if we hobble it'. Under the pressure of having the weight of the state applied against you and rolling over as demanded by said state which is most likely for most people and businesses?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bunch of corrupt cowboys desperate to meet their productivity targets at any cost. Take your pick.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
      Devil

A bunch of corrupt cowboys desperate to meet their productivity targets at any cost.

That doesn't really narrow it down.

Actually, now that I come to think of it, there's quite a few others who meet that description as well...

>A bunch of corrupt cowboys desperate to meet their productivity targets at any cost

And uber is enabling them

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My surprise alarm did not go off with this. Which is strange because it has also never gone off with any revelations of companies sharing information with the authorities and being allowed to continue in their nefarious activities. One day I may yet be surprised. I also doubt it will go off when it is ruled they can continue their business.

5. EveryTime

A deal like this makes both sides look corrupt. But especially the cops.

"We do not have a warrant, but we will pull your license to operate if you don't turn over the data" is far more corrupt than "I will turn over rider data if you ignore this infraction".

1. Cederic Silver badge

However, do we have any evidence that the conversation wasn't a combination of:

"We were rather hoping you could share some information on this individual." "Sure, no problem."

and

"Hey, this chap's been flagged several of our fraud detection systems. You couldn't take a look, see if he's being naughty could you?" "Well, we'll be able to do him for money laundering at the very least, so sure, it'll help boost conviction rates."

No corruption, no illegality.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>A deal like this makes both sides look corrupt

It's really unbelievable - who let Uber join the masons anyway ?

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Megaphone

Don't feed the Beast

Dale Gribble was right! Or was that Rusty Shackleford? In any case, don't feed the beast!

7. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge
    Joke

Aw, Man!

You've forced me to agree with David Davies!

You bastards.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Aw, Man!

David Davies was fine apart from the Brexit aberration.

1. You aint sin me, roit

"Fine" is probably pushing it, but he has always had a thing for protecting civil liberties.

@Doctor Syntax

"David Davies was fine apart from the Brexit aberration."

I think he did pretty well there too. Another instance of our liberties are not for sale.

2. General Purpose

David Davis. David Davies is another kettle of fish entirely - well, apart from being a pro-Brexit Conservative MP, but that could happen to anyone.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Police units supporting Uber's appeal"

Well duh. The Police these days are just an extension of the NSA - they want all the data they can get whether it is pertinent to the case or not.

And it's very nice to know that Uber sends thousands of user data to the police - how much of that sharing actually brought a condemnation ?

How much of it was actually useful in court ?

That's the other problem I have with all this data sharing going on. Law enforcement all over the world now steadfastly declares that it is very useful to them, but never declares how many cases they won because of it.

Re: "Police units supporting Uber's appeal"

>How much of it was actually useful in court ?

It is necessary to protect against viking invasions - the details of which we can't tell you about for national security.

1st millennium - no warrantless wiretaps = lots of viking invasions

2nd millennium - increasing number of privacy violations = significant decrease in viking attacks

3rd millennium - total police surveillance = no viking attacks !

2. big_D Silver badge

Re: "Police units supporting Uber's appeal"

"We'd like to prosecute you under GDPR, but the information is very useful... Just keep it coming, nudge is good as a wink to a blind bat!"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Medway towns now part of London?

Apparently Uber drivers have been plying their trade in the Medway towns area, claiming it to be part of Greater London and, therefore, covered under their licence. Don't know why they aren't subject to legal action by the appropriate authority.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Medway towns now part of London?

Because Reading tried it, and failed.

London Stanstead airport ?

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Flame

Or London Oxford Airport, which is in neither of those cities, and closer to Birmingham than London.

11. Sam Therapy
    Coffee/keyboard

David Davis?

Blimey. He's been trained to take people out, you know.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are the search warrants for this?

mumble-muble nationalsecurity mumble-muble think of the children streetcrime drugtrafficking mumble-muble terrorism and extremism mumble-muble. I hope I have fully answered my "dear and honourable" colleague's question?

13. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Police support Ubers appeal?

Why would any Police organisation, or "unit" support Ubers appeal? Surely at best, Police should only ever be objecting or not objecting? It's not the place of Police to support any commercial organisation, be it a taxi operator or a pub. They should be consulted and if necessary lodge an objection to a licence application, but that is all.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Police support Ubers appeal?

@John Brown (no body)

"Why would any Police organisation, or "unit" support Ubers appeal? Surely at best, Police should only ever be objecting or not objecting?"

Yup. But if you give a little power they always want more. 'Nice business you got there, shame if it was banned. We can put in a good word... for a price'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like