back to article Relics of the past to be found in Oxford: A medieval friary, a Saxon wall, and... Windows 7

Microsoft has many operating systems that simply refuse to die. MS-DOS can be found here and there. Windows XP continues to hang around like a toxic airborne emission. And Windows 7? Despite the software maker's best efforts, it lingers on. Microsoft finally pulled the plug on all bar the embedded versions of Windows 7 earlier …

1. N2

Other options

Are just as likely to bork.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Other options

Indeed. Like these two problems with ... *gasp* ... Linux systems!

1. jake Silver badge

Neither were Linux, per se ... The first example was a Chrome+Gnome issue (whodathinkit?) and a hardware failure. Linux was still running just fine in the first, and the hardware failure would have taken down any OS.

The second was a pair of software updates, one for the kiosk software itself and the other for a Firefox update. Linux was still running quite nicely, and letting the user know that updates were ready.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

True, true – but arguably Windows was running just fine in this bork too: it's just that Microsoft actively decided that it shouldn't be any more.

1. jake Silver badge

The difference is that Linux wasn't claiming to have a problem. The applications (and hardware) were. In the Windows case, it was Windows itself that was claiming to have the problem.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

(Ooh... I've upset at least three people. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux myself. I just sometimes like to see how predictable the downvoters are. Answer: very. Now you have a dilemma about whether to downvote this post because you don't like what I'm saying, or to not downvote it just to prove me wrong.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Greatest Hits? Yup.....but not the way you might think!

Quote: "...Microsoft's greatest hits..."

My vote goes to the "Microsoft Client Licence". This rip off cost $5 per seat for every user connected to Microsoft Exchange.. The $5 simply bought "the right to connect".......no software, no support.....and that was after you had already paid a fortune for Exchange itself and the annual support fees.

Yup.....a HUGE hit for M$.....and a huge hit on corporate bank accounts across the world.

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: Greatest Hits? Yup.....but not the way you might think!

CALs in every form are a fucking abomination.

3. Real Ale is Best

Westgate

I think the new centre is rather nice.

Good food options, and the view from the upper level is nice in the summer.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: Westgate

As with all such contrivances, I should prefer the block to be razed and the Franciscan Priory to be restored.

1. jake Silver badge

Concur. Having spent entirely too much time in Oxford, I can honestly say that I never, not once, said to myself "What this town needs is a major shopping center!".

Out o'curiosity, has the Covered Market been destroyed in the hunt for the dollars of Millennials and tourists?

2. Clunking Fist

Being of Italian extraction, family originating just outside Rome, I would prefer the Priory to be razed and my Great-great-great-great Grandfather's villa be restored.

I'm just going to pass the mike to my wife, who is of Jute origin, as she wants to add a few words.

1. Citizen99

Re: Westgate, Obligatory Monty Python reference

I have fwiend in Wome. His name is ... Biggus D*ckus.

He has a wife, you know. Her name is .... Incontinentia ...Incontinentia Buttocks.

1. Cynical Pie

Do you find his name amusing Centuwion?

1. Citizen99

Snort

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Joke

"Being of Italian extraction, family originating just outside Rome, I would prefer the Priory to be razed and my Great-great-great-great Grandfather's villa be restored."

Have you prostrated yourself yet for the sins of your GGGG-grandfather? He took my GGGG-grandfather and sold him into slavery.

4. karlkarl Silver badge

I found out that my mechanic's MOT software is running on an elderly IBM workstation running Red Hat 9. I noticed the Bluecurve theme in the buttons and mouse pointer. So I asked to have a poke at it. He just thought I was weird XD.

Plenty of old platforms out in the wild that are still working perfectly fine. Microsoft ones just happen to have official spyware on them so get caught more often ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like