back to article Oracle hosting TikTok US data. '25,000' moderators hired. Code reviews. Trump getting his cut... It's the season finale

In a business dance oddly reminiscent of reality TV twists and turns, it appears an offer by Oracle to handle TikTok in the US may have tipped the scales and tentatively gained White House approval. For several weeks, speculation has been rife over who would win the TikTok challenge, with one contender after another dropping …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"handling the software's backend"

Fnar fnar chortle

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Unless they genuinely ‘lost’ the biggest belly-ache is that Microsoft stared down Oracle and made them over-bid for this piece of arse.

Microsoft shareholders must be praying to the Gods they did not spaff a HP/Autonomy with tens of $bn’s.

IMHO Tik-Tok will prove worthless... and a huge distraction to Oracle’s strategic aims. ... unless they have years of Oracle Cloud computing time they need to desperately shift.

2. Clunking Fist

Okay, okey (chortle) So: who's handling the front-end hardware?! (harrp-harrp)

(Oh, it is distributed? Each Tik-Tok user will be responsible for their own hardware front-end? That makes sense.)

2. Lyle Dietz
    Facepalm

My head hurts

I don't blame the way the article was written, I blame the facts contained within it.

If you wrote a fictional book with these sorts of goings on 10 years ago you'd be told it was unbelievable.

1. quxinot

Re: My head hurts

I don't understand why? It's very simple to understand.

"Originally, the brown envelopes went to the wrong people, and the government got upset. This has been rectified, and will now be business as usual."

2. doublelayer Silver badge

"If you wrote a fictional book with these sorts of goings on 10 years ago you'd be told it was unbelievable."

I think that people would get confused and return the books. The current system makes no sense, but not because it's unbelievable, just because I have no clue what is happening. The premise I understand: the current American administration likes having bargaining chips and is making up pretenses to get them. The rest is totally unclear. What exactly Oracle is doing: I don't know. What ByteDance is doing: I don't know either. What the president thinks: don't know. What the executive departments are doing when they don't know what the president thinks, what the president is going to use to make his final decision when we know he won't be reading the bureaucratic report, who is fighting ByteDance's lawsuit and how, what happened to the deadline of Tuesday which didn't get met, what members of the president's party are willing to put up with, what the members of that party actually think, whether anyone else is going to interfere, I don't know any of this. At least when other political events are happening I can understand enough of what people think and plan to do that I can marvel at the audacity or hypocrisy. With this, I can only sit there and puzzle through how anyone can make plans when there's little or no information from anybody.

1. Joe W Silver badge

You seem to imply the members of the president's party think.

OK, maybe about the brown envelopes...

And Trump's statement sounds a lot like blackmail. At least he says the money will go to the government - maybe (ok, surely) in addition to a healthy check to the campaign by Larry.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

President wants to look tough on Jina

Advisers point out that turning off the favorite cat video habit of 100M addicts just before the election might not make him look like Santa Claus

China was going to block the sale anyway, Oracle could't afford it and would fsck it up

So Larry donates a few $M to the Don, gets a few $100M contract to run some servers for TikTok and suddenly security is not a problem

It's just like the deals for restaurant services in New York by certain Italian-American family businesses

3. ciaran
        IT Angle

That's exactly why its more like a relaity show than anything else.

Bravo to el reg for having spotted the link.

Not sure about the IT angle in the end, this is pure fiction... right?

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

President does not like China - no Trump Hotel deals :(

President punishes China with trade.

China hates President, loves TikTok.

President fears TikTok will make him look bad

Oracle loves President and money

TikTok pays Oracle to manage US content

Oracle makes President look "good".

Happy ending :(

1. Clunking Fist

Hang on: I thought it was B Clinton who got the happy ending in the Oval Office? ... I'll get me blue dress. COAT! I meant, coat!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            Headmaster

I thought it was Dubya Clinton, not B Clinton.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"President fears TikTok will make him look bad"

That already happened is probably what kicked this all off in the first place.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Confused? You will be after this weeks episode of.....Soap!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If you wrote a fictional book with these sorts of goings on 10 years ago you'd be told it was unbelievable."

The Vertigo comicbook series "DMZ" was pretty good and seems very prescient, looking back at it now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why????

Seriously, not a rhetorical whinge, but how can they make money off this?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Why????

"I said I want a cut of the money to the US government because we made the deal possible."

This means:

Trump said Trump wants a cut of the money to the US government because Trump & friends made the deal possible.

And it's been in the news lately that his campaign has been hemorrhaging money.

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer what he wants out of this.

2. James Anderson

Like every other Web 2.0 by scanning your posts and comments and selling the data to advertisers.

Although for the most part companies that pay for “targeted” ads are the ones being conned.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

"Although for the most part companies that pay for “targeted” ads are the ones being conned."

Completely agree; we all run ad-blockers, everyone hates ads on webpages. I think there are three reasons than people in 'digital' marketing continue to push forward with this losing strategy:

1. They're all stupid. Have you every met anyone in 'digital' smarter than a sea cucumber? Exactly.

2. They're all herd animals; too unimaginative to think of anything even slightly better.

3. The slightly smarter ones realise they'll be out of a job if anyone finds out how pointless they are.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Ah... one marketing droid's wandered into the wrong lane of the information superhighway.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

exactly this, 'Big Data' is as dumb as a bag of bricks. I use an ad blocker, and the few places I don't use it, when I see ads, it's for stuff I've looked at online, sure, but it's not demonstrating any insight or understanding, if 'Big Data' understood me it would show me adverts for dodgy rock music and army surplus, not whatever gadget I last looked at on Bangood.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Oracle has a sizable ad analytics platform FWIW.

https://www.oracle.com/data-cloud/solutions.html

C.

1. Kane
        Joke

"Oracle has a sizable ad analytics platform FWIW."

When you say sizable (sic), do you mean it generates a lot of revenue, or that it just occupies a lot of space like a particularly large data centre?

Icon, because some people...

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Sizable

why_not_both.gif

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks Chris, that's an interesting angle I hadn't known about.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cloud is the future for tech growth. This holds your applications and data to ransom if you don't continue to pay for hosting. No more of the "buy a licensed copy of software and run it into the ground for the next 10 years, aka sweating thew assets". So to maintain growth and impress investors (growth and shareholder returns are more important than customer, product and other such frivolities after all).

So Cloud is dominated by Google, Microsoft and Amazon. Oracle needs to be seen as a tier 1 cloud suppliers to keep it's business afloat, hence anything that Oracle has that connects to the internet once in a while is counted as cloud revenue. Now they need big companies choosing Oracle Cloud over the three main players. They don't necessarily need to make money out of them, they need the publicity out of it, Oracle know how to extract the money at a later date with subtle licencing changes and unannounced audits.

For Oracle they win a big cloud contract, they become 'super hip' by having some part of a contemporary youth phenomenon that includes both likes and shares and they can think about data mining the hell out of it if they want to really impress wall street - somehow AI and ML (yes, not one but both) will be mentioned at some point to really ice the cake (everyone lost interest in Big Data way to soon).

Oh an Trump, well he needs to fall back on his Straight Talking, No Compromise, Super Smart Businessman persona that he makes deals happen and they are in the interests of the US people for a small event in November. The issue is the US population is too smart to fall for that a second time.

1. hopkinse
        Coat

"The issue is the US population is too smart to fall for that a second time."

Evidence? ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oh, I left that last line hanging there for the bants.

2. PhilipN Silver badge

I was with you all the way until the last sentence.

I wish I was wrong but the current incumbent seems to appeal to the rich seam of carpetbaggers and snake oil salesmen in the nations strata (with all due respect to Kieren and his fellow Irish colleagues etc)

1. Clunking Fist

Whereas Joe Biden appeals to...? Genuine question.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Joe Biden is not-Trump

That's it. His platform is "getting things back to normal" (i.e. the same corporation and lobbyist controlled governments we have had previously)

Biden has said he would veto any Medicare-for-all proposals that came to him, despite 69% of Americans (even 46% of Republicans) wanting it.

5. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

By charging more than it costs them? Oracle is really good at that.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Larry is one of the few fans of Trump in Silicon Valley.

Larry does the orange one a big favour and now Trump has control over a popular social media platform (which is no longer full of just teenagers dancing!).

Larry/Oracle will no doubt receive benefits.

1. Clunking Fist

"which is no longer full of just teenagers dancing!"

Now it will be RUSSIAN teenagers? Shaking their bots?

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

So Oracle are going to handle US users data but the ROW will still be handled by Bytedance? So who gets to store the data when a US user communicates with a Chinese user on the platform?

1. DavidRa

Stop trying to look behind the curtain! There's nothing behind the curtain. Also, the emperor's clothes are fantastic.

5. Chris G

I wanna cut

Who would have ever guessed that a US president would model himself on a street tradrr from Peckham?

Even down to the blingy lack of taste.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: I wanna cut

> a US president would model himself on a street tradrr from Peckham?

I think he's modelling himself on Marlon Brando in the Godfather - unfortunately he has achieved Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

This lays the foundation for Tok Tik whereby every other country demands local data sovereignty of all the US social networks with a local corporation getting a slice of the action to go with it.

1. matjaggard

Sadly/happily no other countries in the position to do that are so wily.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

You think not?

The SCCs have been sunk as a means of stopping the Privacy Figleaf from shrivelling completely. With that and the playbook already written it's the next obvious step for the EU. Apart from that, India seems keen on having its own offerings. And, of course, China.

I suppose for the UK trying to pull such a deal would get in they way of the much sought after trade deal although touting the UK as the best place in the world to run such a service might appeal to BoJo.

7. RobLang

"I want a cut of the money to the US government"

Isn't that usually called tax?

Re: "I want a cut of the money to the US government"

There are other names for it.

8. Just Enough

Key fact missing

The most important detail is missing from this report.

Will TikTok users still be allowed to be mean to little Donnie?

Let's face it, this is what this is all about. Trump hadn't heard of TikTok until it helped messing up one of his rallies. He did not care if it was spying on its users. He gives not a jot about security concerns. But it made him look silly, and Trump never forgets when someone hurts his delicate ego.

Re: Key fact missing

The even more important detail is will he be able to find who did it?

2. Julz

Now it makes some sort of perverted sense. I hadn't groked the TikTok no show at the Trump rally campaign.

3. Boo Radley

This!!! Trump's feelings got hurt, and his ego can't allow that to happen. This entire deal wouldn't be happening if the Tik Tok teens hadn't made him look stupid. I'm certain that any postings critical of Trump will be flagged and deleted immediately.

1. JudeK (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Key fact missing

We borderline considered flagging you for saying "This!!!"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

First!!!

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
          Coat

"We borderline considered flagging you for saying "This!!!""

QFT.

4. MacroRodent

Yes! It is painfully obvious this is what it was all about. The net is strewn with silly platforms for teenagers, but only this one caught Trump's ire because of the fake rally attender stunt some of its users organized. Can't go after them, so go after the platform, and make an example of it.

"Can't go after them, so go after the platform, and make an example of it."

Or go after the platform as a means of going after them.

9. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

See what sticks

The Chinese are throwing this up to see if it sticks, because the data will still end up in Chinese hands, mark my words.

They're trying to see if Trump falls for this conspicuous ploy, or if he's not as stupid as he looks / sounds.

10. loneshark64

Trumps cut

Oracle should give Trump a piece of the action.

Send a big honkin Exadata rack directly to him at Mar a Lago.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

Re: Trumps cut

Then audit him over the number of cores of his license.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Apparently Donald Trump is not paid salary for being President. I can only suppose that it would be conflict of interest if he was paid.

1. Chris G

I take it he's presidenting on a commission basis then?

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Send a big honkin Exadata rack directly to him at Mar a Lago

Delivered directly by B-52?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the UK Trump would now be a shoe-in for an executive director role at Oracle when (if) he leaves the White House.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Would they change the Oracle colour from red to orange?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like