back to article Singapore to pay its citizens to wear Apple Watches

Singapore and Apple have cooked up a scheme that will see the city-state’s citizens rewarded with gift vouchers if they wear the Apple Watch as part of a national health promotion programme. To score any rewards Singaporeans will need to download and use an Apple Watch app called LumiHealth that delivers “weekly activity goals …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This will decimate the birth rate

Financial incentives for prolonged bouts of vigorous wrist movement

2. _LC_
    Headmaster

Dystopian (nt)

.letters.

3. Insert sadsack pun here

I wouldn't trust my personal data to an authoritarian regime that dislikes dissent and privacy, and whose former leader built a cult of personality around himself. And I wouldn't be that keen on Singapore having my data either.

1. Dr Scrum Master

Strangely, I felt a lot more comfortable with the Singapore gahmen holding and using my personal data that I do with the prospect of HMG holding such data, particularly related to my identity...

4. Hubert Cumberdale
    Big Brother

Yay! Free telescreens for everyone!

5. Natalie Gritpants Jr

Think you forgot something

The cost of an iPhone to go with the Apple Watch

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: Think you forgot something

So... Let's say someone never updates the thing, just wears it, how long until it gets borked?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

I have a 3 series, it was a gift, I’d never have bought one myself. It’s still supported by the last OS update. The previous generation may be supported as well, I have no idea. Older versions stopped being supported at last year’s version. The odds are that you get 3 to 5 years use before it can no longer be updated to the latest OS, plus a year or two of security updates, and then possibly another year before you can no longer have it connect to more modern iOS devices and/or Macs, and that’ll be it.

1. BGatez

You only get a year or two out of the sealed in battery so...

6. Clinical Waste

Anyone remember Max Headroom episode “Neurostim” ?

Just a govt initiative rather than an advertiser...

7. DS999 Silver badge

Alcohol, coffee and pasta

Thinking of it as "undoing the good work" is the wrong way around. One of the reasons I work out regularly and keep myself in good health is so I can eat and drink pretty much whatever I want without worrying about it.

I figure "everything in moderation" is a good rule, so long as the definition of "moderation" includes special occasions where I might drink myself into a near stupor and/or eat as many calories in a day as I'd normally consume in three. You just can't do those things too often, but if you felt you could never do them life wouldn't be worth living.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Alcohol, coffee and pasta

I cut out caffeine and chocolate. Now the medical advice is that a moderate daily intake of caffeine and very dark chocolate is good for me.

8. doublelayer Silver badge

How much did Apple pay for this?

I want to know how much Apple has provided to Singapore's funds or to the funds of its legislators to get this to happen. It sounds as if they now have Singaporean taxpayers covering the purchase of their products while their competitors whose devices could do the same thing get nothing. I want to know how expensive buying a flood of Singaporean money is just in case I ever start a company and want to get more customers.

9. Intractable Potsherd

Vouchers

My experience of these voucher-reward schemes is that the participating outlets are usually tacky chains that I don't use, e.g. Subway, Café Nero, Nando's, or some tat-shops selling expensive soap and freshly-knitted aardvark cosies. I don't think I've ever actually gained from them.

10. BGatez

couldn't pay me enough

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like