back to article Astroboffins reckon evidence of Martian life has probably been destroyed where liquid acid flowed on the Red Planet

Evidence of ancient microbial life in Martian soil will not be easy to find, and some of it may have been destroyed by the flow of liquid acid, according to research published in Scientific Reports. The idea of life on Mars has tantalized astronomers for hundreds of years. Although no concrete proof of extraterrestrial life …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Windows

So there's no problem then ?

Okay, where acid flowed biosignatures are destroyed in the clay, understood.

But Perseverance is not landing in a acid-washed clay basin, so everything is good then ? If there are signs of life to be found, Perseverance might find them.

Do I need to use this as another reason to panic ? Because I have enough of those at this point in time.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two microphones

If we can *hear* the life talking, that will be impressive. Especially in stereo.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Two microphones

Hopefully it doesn't hear something similar to "Insert the Illudium Q​-36 Explosive Space Modulator..."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If we can *hear* the life talking, that will be impressive.

I await with great eagerness a recording of the Martian equivalent of the "Four Yorkshireman" sketch...

3. sitta_europea Silver badge

"Perseverance is ... the heaviest trundlebot yet ..."

I do hope they don't have sinkholes on Mars.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Ah, well, actually ...

APOD, 1st march 2020, a Hole in Mars:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap200301.html

But it is a little one, only about 20m deep.

Fingers crossed.

4. JCitizen
    Devil

What!? No drill?

I was hoping we'd see more better drilling this time; maybe strike oil er sumpin'!

5. Brian 3

He is completely full of it! Just because the acidic fluid was carbonic acid, it's no longer acidic? Who is this jumping clown?

6. Conundrum1885

Aliens

Of course this assumes the life doesn't *like* acid.

Which wouldn't be unprecedented even on this planet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like