back to article Sorry we shut you out, says Tutanota: Encrypted email service weathers latest of ongoing DDoS storms

Encrypted email biz Tutanota has apologised for accidentally shutting its own users out while fending off the latest of a series of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks. Tutanota has been forced to defend against the assaults since August, with the service experiencing various levels of downtime as a result. "It is a …

1. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Happy

I Hadn't Even Noticed...

... Then again I usually only check my email twice a day.

Or less if I can get away with it.

2. vogon00

SSL?

"require access to Tutanota's SSL certificates, something the firm is not willing to do."

I wouldn't be willing to either - I'd be too ashamed to have to 'fess up to using SSL when (The majority of) other allegedly secure services have long since advanced to using this new-fangled TLS stuff instead.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: SSL?

Aw, c'mon dude – it's a shorthand.

1. vogon00

Fair point - 'SSL' has, I supposed, become the accepted term for connection-securing encryption.

My dry sense of humour may have been too dry here...In part, that comment was aimed at the author as I felt he should have used 'TLS', if for no other reason than his credibility (At least with me!), especially as he's writng on El Reg. Who among the cognoscenti takes 'SSL' seriously?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's just a different way of starting pretty much the same process, and it has the same requirements: someone would have to allow an untrusted third party to decrypt the traffic for inspection before re-encrypting it for sending it on.

If you're offering secure facilities, this is naturally not A Good Thing™, and we already know that authorities just can't help themselves when they hear rumours of decrypted data being handy - actually, they then DO help themselves..

3. AnAnonymousCanuck

Sounds Like My Kind of Service

Subject says it all.

AAC

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best advert ever

I’ve been looking for a privacy respecting email provider.

I think this might be the one!

1. pc-fluesterer.info

Re: Best advert ever

tutanota is webmail only, no access w/ normal e-mail client. Same holds true for protonmail.ch, which I recommend as well.

Further recommendations w/ access by e-mail client: lavabit.com, mailbox.org, posteo.de (other languages available).

1. NATTtrash

Don't forget to mention that protonmail does have the possibility to send a new mail notification to another email address when desired, while Tuta doesn't do that.

By now, both have (access through) phone apps, I think (sorry, flip phone here, so only vague memory).

Furthermore, Proton and Tuta can be free (as in beer, although supporting a good cause is recommended), while some of the other alternatives you mention are not (e.g. Posteo).

1. pc-fluesterer.info

yes, that's true, I forgot: tuta lacks notification. And free accounts not used for six months are deleted. So, advantage for proton. Still tuta has its place for "special" purposes. ;-)

yes, lavabit, mailbox.org and posteo all cost. Huge amounts such as 15$/year (lavabit) or 12€/year (the other two). For more money you get more features.

I for one have paid accounts with ALL providers mentioned (incl. tuta an proton). And I can say: They are worth every single cent!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like