back to article 'Work is an activity not a place' got tired on LinkedIn about three months ago, but Citrix just based its new logo on the idea

Citrix has “unveiled fresh thinking about what employee experience means” and launched a new logo to prove it. Ooh! Fresh thinking. All of us here at The Register love that. What you got, Citrix? “Work is no longer a place,” says Citrix executive veep of strategy and chief marketing officer Tim Minahan. “It’s happening in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Graphic designers would be lost without i

2. jake Silver badge
    Pint

Greatly impressed I am not ...

... Citrix has invented the Röckdöt

How very

Clearly I'm a better techie than I am a poet ... Beers all around in atonement

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Greatly impressed I am not ...

Your Röckdöt poem made me pout,

For surely it's called the "Metal Umlaut"?

Regardless, something about this article's wrong,

Not one mention of the word "whalesong".

Yes, my attempt at verse could be better,

What were you expecting - iambic pentameter?

3. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Ahhh I think i found the problem - "Citrix executive veep of strategy and chief marketing officer Tim Minahan"

Any firm that lets marketing anywhere near strategy, is bound to go through more rebrandings then a perpetually stolen cow.

Lets all say it together "Rebranding is not a strategy, it's a distraction...". So i guess the question we need to ask is, what have Citrix senior management done that they need a distraction for...

1. Dr. G. Freeman

" what have Citrix senior management done that they need a distraction for...?"

Let a version of their software out that actually works all the time ? I know, preposterous, right ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Citrus Strategy

When your only strategy is marketing (because making your products work costs too much) this makes perfect sense.

Citrix is a portmanteau of Citrus and UNIX (really). It's what you get when you dump orange juice on your computer.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Citrus Strategy

"It's what you get when you dump orange juice on your computer."

After you drink it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear

Now my CCA polo shirt is looking out of date

5. Simon Harris

A dot over the X?

That sounds a bit derivative.

6. gobaskof

Rebranding, an explensive way to rearange deck chairs?

Maybe I am cynical (I am) but changing logos to represent the brand changing is simply an expensive way to burn money. I am not talking about when companies update their logos because they look 20 years out of date. I am talking about these bold strategy ones. I volunteer for a small charity group which is owned by a larger (useless) charity the Canal and River Trust. CRT are the privatised version of British Waterways, but they were privatised into a charity, and most of the higher ups are a bunch of suits that give less than half a crap about canals. CRT were sad that no one recognised their logo or knew who they were. They decided it was a clearly because their logo wasn't snazzy enough and spent an insane amount of money on a new one, replacing all of the uniforms and signs to have the new one. There are things we have needed for years which we still may never see. But the 6 month old signs? They had to go.

I suppose at least businesses have the money to throw and these rebranding exercises. The sad thing is suited numbskulls that move into Charities to help them run their business bring these "innovations" with them.

1. hmv

Re: Rebranding, an explensive way to rearange deck chairs?

As a resident of a seaside city, I believe you are unnecessarily trivialising the importance of getting deck chairs /just/ right. I would say nobody is dumb enough to buy a product just because the company has a snazzy logo but the existence of Trump voters would seem to indicate that I'm wrong.

On the other hand when a /company/ has spare dosh, redesigning a logo will at least keep the Marketing department happy and out of trouble.

1. gobaskof

Re: Rebranding, an explensive way to rearange deck chairs?

True, but if you survey says no one has heard of you or recognises your logo (that is less than a decade old), perhaps you need a new strategy not a new logo? Maybe you could invest in better promotion of your charity activities, or invest in your actual charitable mission?

7. Kane

"the subtle gesture of the dot moving over the X to depict a human-like form"

I wondered why my eyes started twitching when I first looked at it. It also left an uncomfortable itch in my brain.

1. First Light

Re: "the subtle gesture of the dot moving over the X to depict a human-like form"

The dotted X looks to me like a guy whose arms are crossed cos he needs to pee so badly. Or his budgie smugglers came off in the swimming pool. I don't know why I think it's a guy, but that's what I see.

2. jake Silver badge

Re: "the subtle gesture of the dot moving over the X to depict a human-like form"

Were you thinking along these lines? Because that's the first thing that crossed[0] my mind ...

[0] Must be one of those days ...

1. skeptical i
        Devil

I was reminded of the scene in _Braveheart_ wherein the executioners were describing how Robert the Bruce would be drawn, quartered, beheaded, and various bits of him tarred and stuck on posts as a warning to others. Not sure that's the message Citrix was aiming for ....

8. IGotOut Silver badge

Is they an online course...

...to learn how to talk marketing / artist bullshit?

I need to earn a lot of money for essentially doing fuck all.

9. Jay Lenovo

But that would be silly, the dot would need to be below the "x"

So, the dot went from below the second "i" to above the "x", neither of which is where it ought to go.

For some reason, I look at the dotted "x" and feel like they're overtly declaring their allegiance to House Bolton.

10. William Towle
    Linux

Still awful...

...and now makes me think of http://one.laptop.org/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like