back to article Vinyl sales top CDs for the first time in decades in America, streaming rules

Vinyl records accounted for 62 percent of revenue derived from physical music sales across America in the first half of 2020 – the first time they’ve beaten compact disks in decades, apparently. Data released last week by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) reported $376m of revenue for music as “physical …

1. redpawn

You are all thieves

Stop copying our music to cassette. We will sell you cassettes at a higher cost than records and you will love that they sound worse than AM radio. Don't copy your records to high quality cassettes, that is piracy! FBI FBI FBI $100,000 fine and 10 years in jail.

Vinyl is nice in a science class though, lots of fun physics.

1. hopkinse
      Coat

Re: You are all thieves

You obviously weren't using Memorex :-P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS2nq2w09I8

1. sebacoustic

Thank you. Ella sounds just great on any medium

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Ella sounds just great on any medium

True, but you might find she sounds even better if you also use an oxygen-free gold plated ouiji board to call her up first. :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Curse that autocorrect. You of course meant ELO rather than Ella.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It looks like the VHS recording of that Memorex advert was probably not on Scotch VHS tape.

1. William Towle
          Coat

...possibly Scotch masking tape?

3. MrBanana

I preferred Maxell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjf5pdJJ44Q

4. Beeblebrox

... weren't using Memorex :-P

No, 'twas a C90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81c1L8SrXcU

5. Santa from Exeter

No, you need Maxell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEe0qqPAC6E

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

But you could play a cassette in the car which explains my box of cassettes in the cupboard, I still pull a few out and play them at home because some of the artists never went on to CD's. I love listening to a wide range of records and cassettes (Cream, Phranc, Prince, Simpsons etc) because all of the music is in a fixed order, an album - it sounds so much better then random songs.

1. MrBanana

Proper tape players in cars are 8-track, none of this new fangled cassette nonsense. Never mind that in my dad's car it was placed in such a way as to be blocked by the gear lever. You would have to be in 1st gear to be able to change the tape cartridge.

1. Mage Silver badge
          Boffin

The 8 track (Lear Jet Audio) had high tape wear , no FF and no rewind because it was a an always slipping endless loop. Though 1/4" rather than 1/8" CC and twice the speed, it wasn't better quality than decent CC using home recorded tapes because of high speed duplication and the track width may have been slightly less than CC as the head is physically moved each time the metal foil is detected. Home recording gear did exist. Also the program had to be split in four.

Experimental wire recording existed maybe 1899. US and UK used Wire Recording till after WWII. The Germans started tape use in the 1940s. Ampex was one of the first post WWII copies.

1: RCA 1/4" tape cartridge 1958

2: Compact Cassette 1962. Originally for dictation.

3: Lear Jet 8 Track 1/4" endless loop demos in 1964. A refinement of earlier loop cartridges. Also called Stereo 8. Only widespread ever in USA and because of a deal with a car maker. Some small sales in UK 1968 to 1970, approximately. A dead format.

Radio studios/DJs used an endless loop cartridge that seems to have predated the consumer 8 track

4: Micro Cassette 1969. At half the speed of Compact Cassette and usually mono (someone mad MIGHT have done a stereo version) it was only ever for dictation. Now dead due to Flash memory.

5: Sony Elcaset 1976 1/4" tape, superior design to CC and RCA cartridge. Technically good, but too large for portable market (there was one portable that looks like a competitor to Uher or other reel to reel portable recorders used by journalists.) About 10 years too late, so a failure. Dead format.

6: CD. About 1982 to 1984 introduction. Still best solution for physical music

7: Sony Minidisc. A great idea killed by DRM, inability to copy off your own recordings digitally (journalists etc) 1992. Now a dead format. Also Sony was too late adopting MP3 as alternative to ATRAC.

7: MP3 Players using Flash, battery backed RAM or HDD: Available solid state and HDD from 1997, though prototypes using other codecs may have existed from 1982. MP3 as a codec only existed from 1984.

SACD / DVD Audio / HDCD Audio etc: Variously 1995 to 1999 introductions. All dead. Aimed at Audiophiles, a fickle market.

8: iPod. A very late MP3 entrant (2001) successful due to iTunes.

There was also a very large stereo / two track version of the Lear Jet cartridge also using 1/4" tape that was only rented to restaurants and hotels. Certainly in use in 1970s.

Cassette players and tapes are still made and sold.

1. MrBanana

You are wrong about the 8-track cartridge, or maybe remembering something else. It had FF and rewind, and a button to change which of the 4 stereo tracks you wanted to hear. My dad's car came with it new in 1973 and it existed in the UK for years after that. And you say it is a dead format? Try https://8trackheaven.com/

1. Snake Silver badge

8-track only had FF, never rewind: you can't rewind an endless loop where the tape is levered off the center of the spool and wound back on the outside of the reel

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=8+track+player&t=fpas&iax=images&ia=images

What some models did have is Repeat, where the player would ignore the silver track change tape at the end joint of the tape loop and simply continue to play on the same track; or Continuous where the player would indeed follow the track change caused by the silver tape but not stop after making 3 track changes (that is, it would restart "Track 1" (or whatever track you started play at) instead of stopping after playing all the songs on all the tracks sequentially).

1. MrBanana

Yes, you're right about no rewind. I was thinking of the cassette adapter that we had for the 8-track. A chunky thing that I think was mono, or just very, very bad stereo. It had a tendency to make a gargling sound, and then spool chewed tape onto the floor every couple of weeks. Those truly were the halcyon days of Hi-Fi.

1. heyrick Silver badge

There was stereo 8 track. It used two tracks in tandem. There was also a quadrophonic version as well, believe it or not. I used to have a player, along with some obscure stuff from the 70s (sounded like a cross between Abba and Queen, only not as good as either) recorded with four channels, but the player died and I never managed to locate another.

2. DJV Silver badge

Rewind

Back around 2000 when I bought my mother a mini hifi system to replace her aging separates she'd inherited from all over the place, I had to carefully explain to her that CDs didn't actually need rewinding after they'd been played.

1. jelabarre59

Re: Rewind

So you weren't getting her the CD version of one of these? https://www.ohgizmo.com/dvd-rewinder/

2. Someone Else Silver badge

@ Mr Banana -- Re: You are all thieves

You are wrong about the 8-track cartridge, or maybe remembering something else. It had FF and rewind, and a button to change which of the 4 stereo tracks you wanted to hear.

You are 2/3rds right. FF and the track change button existed; there as no capability to rewind. That's because (as stated earlier in this thread) tape was pulled off of the hub to be played, and then deposited on the outside of the continuous loop after passing the heads. There was no way to get the tape to stuff itself back onto the hub1

1Well, at least not safely. Certain kinds of malfunctions would attempt to do that from time to time, resulting what was referred to in the industry as a "birds nest", also stretched tape and occasional broken loops. Nasty.

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge

"SACD / DVD Audio / HDCD Audio etc: Variously 1995 to 1999 introductions. All dead."

https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/shop/sacdcdplayer/sacd30n . £2699

https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/sa-10/review £5999

https://www.whathifi.com/chord/blu-mkii/review £6395

http://www.metronome.audio/index.php/en/metronome-range/gamme-classica-gb (Basically how much do you want to spend?)

2. Mike Lewis

That's a safety feature. It stops you from driving, quickly at least, and changing tapes at the same time.

2. Mage Silver badge
        Alert

Motorola was so named because they brought out a record player for cars, before WWII!

This proves that some trends are only fashion driven. There is no point at all to Vinyl over CD.

"RIAA historical data suggests 1986 was the last time vinyl revenue topped CDs, however that year was early in the life of the CD as a format and a time when the Sony Walkman and its clones were still cool. 1986 therefore saw cassettes account for 55.9 per cent of sales."

CD came out in force about 1985, though they existed earlier, demoed in 1982.

While cassettes are totally inferior in quality to Vinyl, they do have some advantages over CD and other formats. However the CC resurgence is also fashion driven, and nostalgia.

Ironically the really cheap or early cassette players have survived but the belts in the high-end ones turn to goo.

Easier to get steel needles for old windups and Stylii for 1950s to 1990s record players than some of the new ones sold. Most of which claim to do 78, but none have the fatter stylus needed for the wider grooves. A microgroove stylus thus picks up noise from the bottom of the groove, I doubt any use the briefly lived dual profile stylus for both.

3. Bryan Hall

TDK SA Metal with DBX for the win!

2. BebopWeBop
    Happy

It isn't surprising. Streaming/Audio files are fantastically convenient and eminently portable. CDs (except as a purchase/hard backup medium) are en par with vinyl, although with a little more durability and convenience. Vinyl is a 'lifestyle' choice in the main (I have to confess I still listen regularly and enjoy my vinyl on a Rega turntable (no directional cables foto the pre-amp though) and enjoy the experience -including raising my arse off the sofa to turn the record over). My eldest son (who only saw vinyl as a child and was encouraged not to play with Dad's collection and rather use the CDs and then the ripped versions), has acquired a turntable and enjoys it - as much retro novelty as anything else (although being a tad younger will have a rather better audio range than myself).

Besides, you need some sacrificial vinyl for the coming zombie apocalypse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just bought one of these: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/alva/alva-tt

Sounds great and only a mains cable. Your Rega of course remains an excellent choice.

1. BebopWeBop

Nice but ouch at the price :-)

2. MrBanana

"Besides, you need some sacrificial vinyl for the coming zombie apocalypse."

My family and friends have been donating their vinyl to me as they know I collect it. I nod, say thank you, but it is pretty much all fit for the zombie apocalypse pile, either through duplication (5 copies of Carol King's Tapestry), or because I really don't need another recording of German beer drinking songs from the 1970s.

1. jelabarre59

My family and friends have been donating their vinyl to me as they know I collect it. I nod, say thank you, but it is pretty much all fit for the zombie apocalypse pile, either through duplication (5 copies of Carol King's Tapestry), or because I really don't need another recording of German beer drinking songs from the 1970s.

Some 30 or so years back, when we frequented the local used/collectable record stores, we had thought of making a modified skeet/clay pidgeon launcher to throw 12" vinyl records. Save money on the clay targets, you have something bigger to shoot at, all the while disposing of the excess crap. (I used to use Readers Digest box sets as end-spacers in my record rack to keep the GOOD records from bending).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

A member of middle (not musical) youth babbles on below...

When I first saw CDs, including the 'plays even with jam on top' demo on Tomorrow's World, I was astonished. They were magic, and I really thought they'd be around forever. How could anyone improve on the space-age silver disc - great sound quality (sometimes), easy to store, play them anywhere. And when streaming started to be a thing, I was pretty certain that no-one in their right mind would rely on it - far better to own the physical media. Seriously, when would broadband ever be fast enough to support it? No-one would rent something as special as music.

Ah well.

I know what all this sounds like, but I don't actually work for Gartner.

1. Steve K

Re: A member of middle (not musical) youth babbles on below...

plays even with jam on top' demo on Tomorrow's World

I remember that one circa 1983! Thought it was cool until a school friend pointed out that the laser reads from the underside......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You. Have. Just. Ruined. My. Childhood.

2. dharmOS

CDs also deteriorate with time...

Some of my early CDs from the last 90s and early 2000s have already oxidised their Aluminium layer (visible blackness from the outer rim) and when I tried to re-rip them recently to FLAC/ALAC using dBPoweramp, failed on the later tracks that are arranged on the outer parts of the disc. These discs were always kept pristine in their cases in a centrally heated place, so no obvious causes for physical deterioration apart from the lacquer failed to keep atmospheric oxygen out.

So CDs don't last forever, and ripping them to a hard drive (and cloud upload or multiple backups) is the only way to keep them going. At least USB DACs that sound fantastic (and better than any Marantz CD player I had) and have dropped in price.

1. BenDwire Silver badge

Re: CDs also deteriorate with time...

Some of the earliest CD's were made by Nimbus, and I recall that they had production problems in the early years due to the use of Welsh mountain water. The layer didn't oxidise, but microscopic algae managed to grow and form blotches under the surface.

The error correction in early CD players was also much better than later units. I had a Philips top-loader from 1984 (A pre-production unit) and it could handle a 1/8" piece of masking tape being stuck radially onto the playing surface with no audible effect, but there was a little LED that used to blink whenever the error correction was being utilised. No other player I've had could manage that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Blinking error correction...

https://www.hifinews.com/content/cambridge-audio-cd1-vintage

^ This vintage 4 box CD player actually showed a count of errors. Fantastic!

3. jelabarre59

Combination CD and vinyl record turntable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxN2JSMpvCo

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Dude! I've got a Maxell XL90

Can you make me a tape! I'd totally swap you something!

1. redpawn

Re: Dude! I've got a Maxell XL90

Those were good. Give the 120s a miss though as they stretch with any use.

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

TDK red 90s for me, changing to blues once I got a job and could afford them and a decent deck to play them through. I binned about 200 of them when I went over to iPod and I regret it today. I remember my favourites clearly and when I went on holiday last year I recreated half a dozen of them in playlists - i.e. a playlist with only two albums on it plus the filler tracks I put in to use up the tape - which even now I still expect to come on when some albums end.

1. MrBanana

I can't find the old cassettes I "created" in the 1970s. But there are number of tracks from that era, that when I listen to them now, in my head I can still hear the great John Peel introducing the next song (often at the wrong speed).

5. de-em

The main reason I still buy CDs is just so I can rip them to FLAC on my NAS drive - after that they just sit on an ever-increasing pile waiting to be listed on eBay.

Personally speaking I like to own my own music and not be at the mercy of whatever licensing deal your streamer of choice has with the various record companies.

Yes I know I can buy FLACs of albums online, which I'd rather do and cut out the ripping process, yet for some reason it's still cheaper to buy them as CD! No, I don't understand why either.

1. Natalie Gritpants Jr

If you want to own the music you shouldn't sell the CDs on eBay. If you do keeping the FLAC files is a breach of copyright and morally not right. Just keep them (or destroy them if you don't have space).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But surely ...

Selling 2nd hand CDs is a breach of copyright? The rights holders make no money from the sale

1. BenDwire Silver badge

Re: But surely ...

No, it's not. If you buy a CD and rip it to a hard disk, then you legally have to retain the original disc in order to preserve the (copy) right to listen to that music. Or at least that's how it was for a few brief years in the UK. It's now technically illigal to rip your own music - something to do with the music iindustry wanting to charge a levy on blank media.

As a rule, I buy second-hand CDs, rip them to flac, and simply file them away in boxes. Morally I think I'm in the right, even if the law disagrees,

2. Steve Todd

No, ripping to FLAC, then selling the original media is breach of copyright.

Either deleting the FLAC before selling or keeping/destroying the original means the artist is paid for the number of copies in circulation (you are buying a license to listen to your copy). Selling the original media transfers that licence, so the artist makes no extra money but has been paid for all copies in use.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the answer.

I got downvoted for asking a genuine question to which I did not know the answer. You got downvoted for answering it. How odd

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

There's absolutely nothing morally wrong with selling the CDs after you rip them.

Copying is not theft. Copyright is theft.

2. Glen 1

For me, there are *whole genres* of music I would have never heard of if not for the "Continue playing songs like this after last song" thing on Spotify.

Kinda reminds me of the early days of internet file sharing where people would pad the file names with similar bands to aid discovery.

Hell, I'd never heard any Iron Maiden till the Carmageddon II soundtrack... These were the days where game music was extra tracks on the game CD, so you could play it on a regular player.

Radio used to be the primary means of new music discovery, "The rock and Metal show" on 12am on a weds isn't going to feature on peoples radars unless they seek it out... or come across it while channel hopping for music to fall asleep to.

Even when Kerrang Radio launched, it seemed to deteriorate into one sub-genre (emo pop punk), which in itself is fine, but when its gets difficult to differentiate between bands, let alone songs, that gets old fast. Add to that the fact you get at most 2 songs in a row without interruptions and you start wondering what the hell are you dong with your life.

Auto generated playlist with "continue playing" at the end, and suddenly a lot of the frustration goes away. A mix of the familiar and the new (to the listener).

1. BenDwire Silver badge
        Go

Radio used to be the primary means of new music discovery

It still is for me. Try listening to Radio Paradise (.com) - a very eclectic mix of music, all hand curated by a couple of real humans. No adverts, little repetition, and the ability to skip tracks you'd rather not listen to. They have FLAC streams for proper speakers, and compressed streams for mobile use.

Oh, and it's free - although you are invited to donate if you find yourself listening to it frequently.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Unlikely to be available (or if it is, not for long) in jurisdictions like the UK where broadcasters pay royalties per aitplay. Many of the internet "radio" stations I used to enjoy are either not available here or have adverts every few minutes.

1. BenDwire Silver badge

It's listener funded, and RP pays its dues. The fees for the US ar far higher than the UK, but there are enough listeners (about 10% of us) to pay enough to make the sums add up.

2. ICL1900-G3

Thanks for that - impressive, so far.

2. heyrick Silver badge
        Happy

"Radio used to be the primary means of new music discovery"

Radio is still around, although more in a streaming form these days. Not that that's a bad thing, I'm currently listening to PPN Radio (a lot of symphonic metal from somewhere in California, I think). I knew Nightwish and Within Temptation. Now I know a whole lot of other bands.

There are adverts (usually the same ones about "lock up your guns" and "don't drive when 'buzzed'"), but I consider them a necessary evil for the station existing. I take that as a good time to leg it into the kitchen and flick the kettle on...

6. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

I'd be more interested in unit sales, given vinyl is often sold at a premium / novelty price point. Also, the few vinyl albums I've examined often come with codes for digital downloads, so expensive vinyl is just a bulky gift card often, with little intention of it actually getting played.

Lastly, I still buy CDs, as I often go places that don't get a phone signal. Although, as I'm an old fart, I'm often picking up 2nd hand CDs that were released some time ago, by bands I'm late getting into. I use Spotify for the introductions, then buy the CD.

7. mark l 2 Silver badge

I used to own over 100 vinyl records from the 1990s as I was big into dance music and DJing, and appreciate the hands on you can get with vinyl is good for mixing. But while I am all for owning physical copies of music I don't get why you would choose to buy the vinyl version over the CD if its just played on a regular turntable. To get the same audio quality that even a cheap CD player can output you need to spend quite a lot on a turntable and amp. Then there is other inconveniencing of warping, scratches, jumps, flipping over the record, the space they take up.

1. Natalie Gritpants Jr

You will never get the same audio quality as CD. The RIAA equalization sees to that. You may get equivalent frequency response and signal to noise (unlikely unless you unwrap and keep your vinyl in a clean room) but those things are not the whole story with audio quality. Transient response is part of the experience too.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: signal to noise

The frequency response only for a few playings.

No, the S/N of Vinyl is worse. Which is related to dynamic range. The surface polish, track pitch and dust limit Vinyl S/N and dynamic range. The large hub area is to limit the drop off of frequency response towards the centre.

There are formats supposed to be better than CD, but they never succeeded because in the real world they are not needed. So since CDs are still produced, they are the pinnacle of consumer physical audio quality.

Note commercial CDs are pressed and home recorded use a change in a dye, so are very much less durable. Some CDs and DVDs are not well sealed so the reflective aluminium can corrode. Keep in a cool, dry dark place!

2. MrBanana

"Transient response is part of the experience too"

And so is huge amounts of compression, on way too many digital formats, CDs included. You have to pay attention to the whole chain - from recording to mastering to pressing, for both formats, to get the best from them. An original vinyl release can easily be better than some botched CD reissue.

8. Mike 137 Silver badge

Isn't it odd...

"Streaming was top of the pops, accounting for 85 per cent of revenue"

Strange how we've been brainwashed into never owning anything any more. Pay per view, pay per listen, suddenly find it's been withdrawn. Not so long ago IKEA mooted leasing flat pack furniture. The word "legacy", which used to mean something you looked forward to, now means something you want to scrap.

Soon there'll be nothing to bequeath to our descendents. Everything will have become ephemeral, so in a couple of centuries this one will appear as another dark age.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Isn't it odd...

Yeah, That's my take away from the story too. $4.8bn of rental fees with nothing to show for it other than a few fleeting moments of pleasure interspersed with a lot of "meh!". Nothing to pass on to your kids. I still have most of my dads record collection. All ripped to HDD of course after being carefully and lovingly cleaned. Some might even have a some monetary value these days.

2. heyrick Silver badge

"Soon there'll be nothing to bequeath to our descendents"

Oh, because they'd absolutely love CDs of Boyzone, Spice Girls, Ricky Martin, Beiber, and.........

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

You're paying for a transient pleasure, like going to the cinema or a pub or restaurant. Plenty of music isn't worth owning but is worth a few pennies for a period of time.

I prefer to own music myself, but I can understand those who prefer to rent and in doing so get access to a much broader range than I could for the same money.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Proper

The only proper way to listen to vinyl is on my father's *HiFi.

*HiFi =

1x Marantz preamp

2x thirty watt Marantz tube amps (One mono tube amp per speaker)

2x Bozak speakers that contain 2x12" woofers, 4x10" midrange speakers and 7x3" tweeters in each, enclosed in solid walnut cabinets.

Back when vinyl was king a proper HiFi stereo took up a third of the living room and componets were kept in furniture quality cabinets made of fine wood that matched the speakers that weigh more than the average person.

1. Already?

Re: Proper

Proper hifi is still around. Check out Naim gear - full size amps, pre-amps, and now just streamers - CD was dropped a couple of years ago. All sits on its nice in-house racking system called Fraim.

Don't go checking out the cost tho. ;)

2. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Proper

Well, I guess the RIAA messes with the sound enough that it doesn't matter about the particular frequency response of valves.

10. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Episode 5 of Ridley Scott's "Raised By Wolves" contains 32 seconds of copyright breach

On Episode 5 of "Raised By Wolves", between 9m 53s and 10.25s, Ridley Scott's musicians used 12 notes of my music which was posted on the streaming website Youtube in June 2020, and I have no idea what to do about it.

Despite the very extensive and expensive number they ran on my music, I recognised it from the very first note. I know my sound. The next 31 seconds saw me becoming more and more incredulous as more and more of the notes of my music played out at me. I didn't exhale until the final note had played, they had obscured that note the most with layers of effects, but it was the exact pitch of my final note. I couldn't enjoy the rest of that episode.

I called the Scott Free Los Angeles and left a message asking why they had used my music without my permission, nobody has called me back. I then called the Scott Free London number. The message said that because of Covid-19, I should ring mobile numbers if I have them, because everyone was working from home. It then quoted the office email address. I was very upset and wrote (I regret to say) a very angry email threatening legal action and attached my tune. I guessed at Ridley's email address and sent it to him - it didn't get bounced back therefore it must have gone somewhere. Other guessed email addresses such as "webmaster@", "info@" etc bounced back. Then someone changed the Domain Settings on scottfree.co.uk to forward to nowhere. And it's still down. Perhaps Ridley received an email at his personal email address and panicked, thinking that his website has been hacked. It also has the effect of deleting his email server and any evidence that he received my email notification of a copyright breach. Every subsequent email has been bounced back, including the one quoted on the answering machine at Scott Free London.

They could have simply used different instruments and played my tune, but they sampled it first and stretched the 12 notes out (originally 4 seconds, they simply chopped my tune and spaced them out in Ableton or something) to about 32 seconds. Then they added reverb and atmosphere by playing it through a guitar cab and recording it's output. You can hear the horrendous hiss of a 70s classic guitar cab as my very slowed down tune fades in, unusual in such an otherwise squeaky clean audio presentation. They then kept the order of the played notes but changed the timing to fill 32 seconds. After that, it sounds like they added pre-echo and impulse to some of the notes (because they had lost some attack in the sound, because of it being stretched), then added layer upon layer of reverb to create an atmospheric piece. I recognised my sound despite all of this, from the very first note.

Taking such a huge company to Court costs hundreds of thousands of pounds. The only proof I have is my music on Youtube and the files on my computer hard drive which I am shortly going to put into humidity and temperature controlled storage. Any advice would be appreciated, I have no idea what I can do about it, if anything.

11. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Ridley Scott's website is still offline. No contact details. Only the guilty run...

12. Binraider Silver badge

Anyone converted a LTO drive to stream audio yet...? LTO5, uncompressed, I could easy get my entire shelf full of CDs and Vinyl onto one turp.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon