back to article Brit mobile network EE follows O2 by ending trading relations with retailer Dixons Carphone

BT is ditching a two-decade trading agreement with Dixons Carphone in preference of selling services via its own network of high street stores, months after O2 called time on its contract with the retailer. "We have taken the hard decision to not renew our EE Mobile contract with Dixons Carphone, and shift our focus and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Carphone Warehouse

They aren't warehouses and they don't sell carphones. Might as well call themselves Horseless Carriage Electric Telegraph Emporia. At least they'd attract the steampunks

1. tip pc Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Carphone Warehouse

"They aren't warehouses and they don't sell carphones"

they used to sell carphones, and there is nothing to stop you buying a phone from them and using it in your car.

the warehouse bit was that you could actually get a phone from them that day as they had most of them in stock instead of ordering and awaiting delivery as per most of the other vendors at the time.

do you remember when pretty much everything was shut on a sunday?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Carphone Warehouse

"there is nothing to stop you buying a phone from them and using it in your car"

No rotary dial. No wired handset. No direct connection to Commissioner Gordon. No thanks

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"This means that EE now has contracts for airtime in place with Vodafone, (Voda MVNO) Voxi and Virgin Media."

should EE actually be carphone warehouse?

i got a couple of phones from them ~ 1996. An amstrad phone that was rubbish which i took back and replaced with a nokia 21xx

3. Andy Non Silver badge

Didn't know carphone warehouse were still a thing

No been in one or seen one for around twenty years. I assume most folk do the same as me - buy a SIM with the number of minutes, data allowance etc you need at the best price and buy a phone separately online. If you are desperate, most suppliers will do next day delivery.

Is that little section inside Currys PC World with mobile phones part of carphone warehouse? I did ask about a phone in one of those a couple of years ago but the bloke did his best to be as unhelpful as possible and get rid of me; I think it was time for his lunch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Didn't know carphone warehouse were still a thing

I've bought my last two phones off their website because they had next day delivery and good prices on the models I wanted ( which were the Moto G6+ and G7+ ).

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Didn't know carphone warehouse were still a thing

"I think it was time for his lunch"

You probably looked like someone who wasn't going to buy extended warranty.

4. Victor Ludorum
    Headmaster

But but but

Three ended its airtime contract with Dixons back in 2013.

I think you'll find that iD Mobile is CPWH's own MVNO running on Three.

5. Hoppy

A slow lingering death

Phones 4u Anyone?

1. CountCadaver Silver badge

Re: A slow lingering death

eurgh....I feel dirty just at the mention of that name...their mail order brethren Dial-a-phone were worse tho IMHO....

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I'm actually a little surprised

I'm no financial whiz or even a wannbe Gordon Gecko, but I'd have thought a reduction in phone sales would be all the more reason to consolidate into one seller, not to take your products out of one shop and open more shops to sell only your own product.

I can only imagine that their thinking is that once a potential customer walks into your shop, the hope is that you can hard sell/bamboozle them into not shopping elsewhere. Except those customers may never get to your shop because they popped into one of the other 6 phone shops on the street, all in a neat row next to each other, and got hard sold/bamboozled there first. It all sounds like a recipe for even greater churn where the only number they look at is new sign-ups.

1. DRue2514

Re: I'm actually a little surprised

Maybe if they can compare deals side by side in one shop they will more easily work out which is the rip off deal. Better try and hard sell/bamboozle them on a poor deal before they walk somewhere else.

2. tip pc Silver badge
      Boffin

"I'd have thought a reduction in phone sales would be all the more reason to consolidate into one seller,"

That 1 seller is making profit on the phone, the airtime contract and all accessories.

If the shop is yours you make all those other profits plus own the relationship with the customer who is likely to come to you with their issues and next requirements.

If only 1 shop is selling your stuff alongside other providers then how do you ensure that that 1 shop is not selling a competitors product in preference to yours?

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The big problem for resellers that the change in refresh rates removed their main source of revenue: commission. They used to get paid up front for selling customers new contracts on the back of a new phone.

Unfortunately, at some point customers realised that this wasn't necessarily in their best interests and started increasingly to treat phone and contract as a separate items: keep phone, renegotiate cheaper tariff directly with the network; no middleman required. For many of us, phones have become just another piece of consumer electronics equipment.

7. David Roberts

BT or EE?

Does anyone else remember when there were BT shops on the high street with a range of branded products and services?

Not sure if this is the future aim, or if the purchase of EE has given them all the high street presence that they need.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BT or EE?

There were shops on the high street? How quaint!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like