back to article China makes treatment of its 5G vendors an issue to rank with climate change or disarmament

China has made treatment of its 5G vendors an issue of the same rank as its aspirations on issues like climate change and trade liberalisation. The nation’s position emerged yesterday in a new Position Paper of the People's Republic of China On the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations that spells out China’s 14-point vision …

1. sanmigueelbeer
    Thumb Up

Uh-huh. Sure. Pull the other leg ...

"China wants ... respect for intellectual property"

Cool story, bro.

1. Chris G

Re: Uh-huh. Sure. Pull the other leg ...

Since the industrial revolution and probably beyond, name a nation that hasn't stole the IP of other nations and businesses.

I am in no doubt that hasn't changed.

1. Danny 5

Fair enough, but few have been so blatant and brazen as China. There are recorded cases of companies suing Chinese manufacturers for making direct copies of their products which got thrown out of court. I can't think of any civilized country that has institutionalized theft on the level of China, nowhere near it.

For China to make statements like this is downright laughable, they have absolutely 0 credibility when it comes to stuff like this.

1. sanmigueelbeer
          Pint

Have a beer.

What the heck, here, have another.

2. Xalran
          Pirate

Well they finally managed to give 9 years jail time to the founder of Lepin... a Chinese Lego Clone... after more than 15 years of legal wrangle. They are making progress.

Oh and it hasn't stopped Chinese Lego Clones... instead of one there's now several.

2. martinusher Silver badge

You're probably not old enough to remember when Japan used to do the same thing. It was so bad that "Japanese" was a byword for "shoddy knockoff".

Nobody can say this about Japan in recent years. Japanese products are invariably excellent.

China isn't Japan but is evolving in the same way. Based on my observations they're past the "copy and worry about quality and IP issues later" phase and are now producing excellent products that include locally generated IP.

1. sanmigueelbeer

are now producing excellent products that include locally generated IP

I agree. I've never came across of report(s) of compromised network made by Huawei.

Seriously, I can't wait for paying customers to fly around COMAC C919.

2. DavCrav

"China wants nuclear disarmament"

China has nuclear weapons.

"gender equality",

According to the 2020 WEF global gender gap report, China is in the bottom half of countries for gender equality.

"respect for intellectual property"

Well, say no more.

"settlement for refugees"

Number of refugees per 1000 inhabitants (mid-2015 figures, the latest comparable):

China: 0.22. UK: 1.87. US: 0.84.

Physician, heal thyself. (One good start would be to take every Syrian refugee from Turkey. That would bring China closer to, but not equal to, the UK's refugee figure.)

1. StickThatInYourPieHole

"One good start would be to take every Syrian refugee from Turkey. That would bring China closer to, but not equal to, the UK's refugee figure"

Why would it even want to do that? The EU is right on the door step and is *paying* Turkey to take them. Its not like China is obliged to take them of their hands.

Gender equality. Japan is lower. So what's your point?

It's not like suddenly the UK is settings some gold standard.

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

Ah, whataboutism... Never fails to make me smile.

Japan is not clamoring that The UN should focus more on ending violence, discrimination and poverty and bridging the digital gender divide, and increase the representation of women in the UN system. as China is.

The hypocrisy is so blatant it's funny

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Physician heal thyself"

I'm pretty sure there's a quota on American movies in China. Google services are non-existent. Forget BBC and news sites. They've got a way to go in the hypocrisy standards.

Still, the Orange One did wrong (shock!). Huawei invested in 5G heavily, US companies did not. The market should decide who should be rewarded with the sweet green stuff. National security is an orthogonal, larger problem to 5G.

3. Jay Lenovo

And at the end of day, we're left with what?

All great position points for U. N. contemplation.

Next up, we await the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's position paper on the importance of democracy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Pot calling kettle

The message is, by and large, correct. The messenger is, shall we say, a bit tainted.

Welcome to the modern world of independent fiefdoms where the size of your castle determines your power.

Deliberative and collaborative bodies are falling to the wayside. Like the Houses of Parliament and America's Legislative Branch, the UN has become a political arena ruled by strongmen (and women) who use it to push their agenda and attack others. The Chinese are used to this as the National People's Congress has always run this way. But let's not pretend that they are the only ones at fault. Too many countries are participating in the destruction of the UN Charter.

5. martinusher Silver badge

A little history

Back when I was little I had an interesting collection of books that I'd got from junk sales and the like. One was 'electrotechnoloy', it was about the generation, distribution and use of electricity in industry and dated from 1903. It was interesting to see that back then a lot of the state of the art examples were German.

We all know the story. The UK was the world's premier manufacturing hub by the middle of the 19th century but other countries, most noticably German, started catching up by the turn ofthe century. In fact by the first couple of decades of the 20th century much of the scientific literature was being published in German, a language you needed to be fluent with if you wanted to be a chemist. Germany went off the rails a bit by listening to the siren song of Empire and the resulting commercial and imperial challenge to the established order (UK #1, France not #1 but don't tell them, they'd be upset) eventually spilled over as World War One. The result of the 20th century conflicts was to rebalance the world but it didn't stop Germany from continuing to grow and eventually dominating Europe (leaving the UK where?).

We're in the same position now. We have a dominant colonial power, the US, which was the world leader in manufacturing, science and technolgoy that's being challenged by another power, a country that seeks to be regarded as a peer rather than a vassal. This is a bitter pill to swallow but like the experience with Germany and Great Britain fighting wars doesn't actually achieve much except to cause a lot of distruction and loss of life, it doesn't alter the fundamentals. We in the US are now like the UK in 1900 -- we've got the military, we own the world and we know we're Number One and we're going to stay that way because, well, we deserve it, we're Number One. History is never kind to Empires.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A little history

Not an issue if those in power feel like "if you can't beat'em join'em". Except China is not a modern day Switzerland for old money to hide out.

They've managed to piss off both the working populations in other countries and the big business cronies (who sold their local workers out) to feed off the rock-bottom Chinese labor pie. Now, no one is feeling like they have a reliable partner in the CCP aristocracy. The rules of play, all seem to be getting gamed.

Maybe it's time to find Fredo and get the heck out.

6. Mark Exclamation

Seems like China is writing a comedy, starring itself. I wonder what episode two will bring?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like