back to article What an IDORable Giggle: AI-powered 'female only' app gets in Twitter kerfuffle over breach notification

A “female social network” called Giggle whose operators left its user database unsecured has triggered a wave of Twitter controversy after its founder threatened to sue a UK infosec firm who pointed out the vulnerability. Over the past few days lots of tweets have been posted on the happy and friendly microblogging website …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"had I known then what I know now, I would have handled the situation differently."

That speaks volumes. If you want to collect PII there are things you need to know before you start, not discover as you go along.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Well... except it was more about the miscommunication (at least one hopes)...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is disturbing to me...

to see that app developers are threatening security researchers with lawsuits.

What's that old saying again?

"If security research becomes illegal, only the criminals will know the vulnerabilities"

1. robpomeroy

Re: It is disturbing to me...

Unfortunately thanks to the Computer Misuse Act the position of security researchers in the UK is a little precarious. Legislative reform is long overdue.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI?

Seems like a GDPR breach to me, using an automated system to make a decision is a no no. Also bet it doesn’t fucking work right even before you take trans people into account.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: AI?

>Seems like a GDPR breach to me

If only they weren't so far away in Australia the Eu would be rushing to prosecute - but it takes along time to organise an expedition to the southern oceans.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: AI?

GDPR applies for any EU resident, even if they are down under on vacation, business, long distance shagathon.

4. Noodle

Twits

I think the main lesson here is that Twitter is a mind numbingly awful communication medium at the best of times and should not be used as the main method of contact for a business.

1. LenG

Re: Twits

I think the main lesson here is that Twitter is a mind numbingly awful communication medium at the best of times and should not be used as the main method of contact.

Fixed

1. Bill Gray

I think the main lesson here is that Twitter is a mind numbingly awful communication medium at the best of times.

Fixed. No, hold on...

The main lesson here is that Twitter is a mind numbingly awful communication medium.

There! _Now_ it's fixed.

1. Robert Grant

The main lesson is that Twitter is a mind-numbingly awful communication medium.

Fixed.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Obviously the best way to inform an online business of an urgent and critical vulnerability would be a registered letter to their registered business address.

1. Barry Rueger

a registered letter to their registered business address.

Bravo Sir/Madam! A troll for the ages.

I am constantly appalled by companies that don't have a phone number, address, or email on their website. Only some pathetic Web form, and sometimes not even that.

The hard truth these days is that Twitter is very often the most effective way to contact a human being at a large company. Apparently public shaming motivates them.

As for the value or veracity of Twitter, that depends entirely on how you use it. Some very smart and very knowledgeable people use Twitter intensively, and if you choose who to follow you can get incredible insights.

Of course there's also @realdonaldtrump.

2. Jonathan Richards 1
        Thumb Up

> a registered letter to their registered business address.

I suspect that that might have been intended to have <sarcasm> tags, but I'll subscribe at face value. Remember to keep a copy for your records, too.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Remarkable

A Twitter argument that ended with apologies and a level of mutual understanding : is civility coming back into fashion?

1. Surreal
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Remarkable

Now there's coffee in my nose and spewed on my screen. I hope you're proud of yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Remarkable

Oh, please accept my apologies. Having recently lost a laptop to errant coffee, the last thing I would would want would be to inflict such a fate on someone else.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there a jurisdiction where it is allowed to have a discrimination on sign up on the basis of gender?

1. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

How does being a member of a women only social app give these women and advantage over anyone else? How does it adversely impact those who are not allowed to join? I can tell you that if they allowed these Trans "people" to join they would be a disruptive force on the app, possibly causing the apps demise.

When places like Augusta National were forced to allow women members it was because this organization was determined to be a place where business and employment opportunity are routinely conducted. Thus, disadvantaging those who are not allowed to join. There are many men only and women only organizations that are legally allowed to exist.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How lovely.

"Whilst we disagree with your views..."

What a self-righteous prig. I'm sorry, but common shared humanity should surely dictate that you help someone regardless; your opinion of their views is utterly irrelevant, on a par with whether you like a different brand of ketchup in terms of relevancy. Do we really have to virtue-signal in absolutely everything now?

What next? "Before I save you from drowning, what is your opinion of the Black Lives Matter movement?" "Yes, I can see that you're trapped in the wreckage of a burning car, can you tell me first which way you vote?"

Anon, because I'm going through enough shit in life right now without having the usual pathetic keyboard trolls pile on me for stating the bleedin' obvious.

8. johnrobyclayton

Being a minority

We have done a lot of work to enable minorities to be included in our rich Internet culture, and it has only made our Internet culture richer.

There has been a significant downside though.

The Internet was initially created and populated by a group of people that to a large degree were conditioned to believe that they were the apex predator in the room. Flame wars, Religious crusades, Trolls, they always existed, either in reality or in perception but because a large number of us knew that we were the apex predators in the room, we did not care.

The inclusion of every minority we could find or be discovered by, though, introduced a lot of people to the Internet who have been conditioned that they are not the apex predators in the room.

They are conditioned to take seriously every indication that they are under some form of attack, whether it is real or not.

The rough and tumble of the Internet is a big part of its richness. The determination by a lot of well meaning individuals and groups to cover all of the hard and pointy surfaces with polite, gentle and politically correct foam is reducing the cultural richness of the Internet.

We need to teach more people that the belief that you are the apex predator in the room is simply a state of mind. You do not need to be the apex predator to believe it, and the belief can give you the freedom to simply ignore the sharp, uncomfortable and pointy bits of the Internet you might not enjoy and enjoy all of the richness that remains.

9. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

This is what happens because of the butt-hurt cancel culture of the ALPHABET crowd. I am sure that there are Trans only websites and apps but just because someone wants to create a female only social app then they are labeled as some kind of fascist Nazi. I am sorry to all you Ts in the ALPHABET crowd, no matter how many drugs you take or how many surgeries you have you are still what you were born, that does not change,

So I will give the owner some slake for her reaction, but not for the obvious incompetence of her security team.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like