back to article India makes buying a used cow easier than buying a used car

India has launched a new app to help farmers access information about livestock and expects it will cut the cost of cattle and make farms more efficient. The app, called e-Gopala, will enable farmers on the ground to register and access information about their livestock using ID-tags linked to the Pashu Aadhaar database …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if the same tech used to track human livestock was used here?

2. 9Rune5

Holy Cow!

I came here just to see if anyone had already stated such. You guys forced my hands.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: Holy Cow!

Sounds like a load of bull; pull the udder one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Holy Cow!

You can bet that whomever gets the contract will milk it for all its worth. The PHBs at the top will cream off the profits and hoof it off to the next cash cow. We've all herd it before.

3. xyz Silver badge

As a farmer and IT bod...

The main problem with all these city based whizz bang jobbies is that there is never ever any mobile signal in fields. They'll have to take their cows to a local bar with wifi.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As a farmer and IT bod...

If you tell a cow a joke, does it shoot milk out its nose?

1. Andy Non Silver badge

La vache!

2. 9Rune5
      Pint

They'll have to take their cows to a local bar with wifi.

...and the problem is?

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

...take their cows to a local bar with wifi.

"The Milky Bar"..?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Buying a used cow now easier than buying a used car

I'm not surprised. It is difficult to take two bashed up cows, cut them in half and weld the back end of one onto the front end of the other to make a new cow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is difficult to take two bashed up cows, cut them in half and ...

Wasn't that an old Damien Hirst installation? :-)

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Buying a used cow now easier than buying a used car

Too right, Igors are hard to find these days.

5. Shadow Systems

If you drive your cow over rough roads...

Does it make a milkshake?

If you scare a cow so bad that it screams, does that make curdled milk?

If a cow gets indigestion & constipation, does that mean it's cottage cheese?

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the pockets full of a-moo-sing puns. =-)P

1. 9Rune5

Re: If you drive your cow over rough roads...

I upvoted you, despite the sudden craving for milk shake that your post induced in me.

6. Jay Lenovo

At the Cow Dealership...

(Thumping background music)

Bad credit, no credit...Bring in any cruddy, ornery, cantankerous old cow, and we'll give you 5000 rupees toward the purchase of a new cow.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: At the Cow Dealership...

WeBuyAnyCow.com

(any any any any, WeBuyAnyCow.com, com com com com)

7. MachDiamond Silver badge

All assuming...

There is an app for everything although I find most apps useless bits of spyware. To use them you have to assume that there is signal where the people would use it. You have to assume that the people have access to the tech and are savvy enough to understand it. It has to bring enough extra value to make it worth using in the first place.

Every time I grab some fast food there is a banner telling me to download their app. Why? In 1/4 of the time I can tell the PFY I want a #1 without pickles much faster than poking about trying to learn the latest layout of the bloody app. I don't find ordering in advance to work either. The food has either been sitting around getting cold and manky or it isn't ready when I arrive. (I've learned all this via lemmings that love to download apps since I refuse to compromise my phone). I expect that before too long voice ordering will be done via kiosk at the restaurant with a touch screen to help sort out glitches. I'll just walk up, hit a button to start a new order, say "#1, no pickles, Sprite" and it will appear on the screen and when it looks correct, I hit "order", pay and retrieve my food. I always pay with cash to minimize tracking and useless ads.

8. shade82000

>> The database, which takes after a similar system made to track Indian citizens, provides each animal with an ear tag containing a 12-digit identification number.

I call bullshit, I've never seen an Indian with an ear tag.

9. RobThBay

So if someone in India calls tech support.... which country does it go to?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like