back to article Upside down, you turn me, you're giving bork instinctively: Firefox flips as a train connection is missed

Welcome to another instalment in The Register's ongoing coverage of unhappy digital signage. Today, the world has been turned upside down by the curse of Bork. Spotted by a Register reader on one of the newer Northern Trains Limited trains (possibly a Class 195?) Firefox is having a bit of an off day, with the onboard screen …

1. Chris G

Arriva tarde

Arriva is German owned now and operates(?) in 14 countries, arriva in Spanish and Italian means arrive or arrives; tarde means late.

More than a few Spanish people use the two words together to describe the company.

1. entfe001
      FAIL

Re: Arriva tarde

Arriva does not mean that in Spanish, in fact it is not even a word. The correct one for arrivals is "Llegada", from the verb "Llegar". So the correct way to say it in Spanish would be "Llega tarde".

However, in Catalan there is "Arribada" with that meaning, with b instead of v. Here we have "Arriba tard".

OTOH, "Arriba" in Spanish is an actual word, but meaning "up".

P.S: as for how trains run here, the state-owned railway company Renfe used to be known as "Rogamos Empujen Nuestros Ferrocarriles Estropeados", literally "Please push our broken trains", or with "Esperen" (wait for) instead of "Empujen" (push).

1. logicalextreme

Re: Arriva tarde

There's the less-common "arribar", which is regular and conjugates to "arriba". Much more common in Latin America than Spain. The verb has the same root as "arrive"; the v–b swap is obvious in European Spanish's pronunciation of the two letters.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Firefox is losing the plot full stop

Baby, meet bathwater.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The baby started growing and toddled of to pop ants with a magnifying glass. It is now playing with matches. Emptying the bath is no longer a problem. Firefox has become increasing more irritating over the years and convinced me to go elsewhere. If it is doing what you want, fine but otherwise I recommend trying out the competition.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Makes sense. The latest version of Firefox for Android is a complete POS. So bad after using Firefox since the get-go, I finally moved to another browser.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I am using Bromite on android

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. MiguelC Silver badge
    Coat

Maybe that particular train was supposed to be sold to Australian railways but somehow ended up in Blighty?

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

˙˙˙ǝɯ oʇ ǝuᴉɟ sʞool

1. W60
        Happy

....bit harsh all the down votes that comment got :)

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Oh, you... I see what you did there, touché!

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Happy

Rotate 180

?? Seems someone was playing with the screen rotation?

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Rotate 180

It is often beneficial to turn a display upside down for better readability when looking up at it rather than down as it would be on a desktop then have the software or display driver correct that. Viewing angle may supposedly be symmetrical but I've found that not to be the case.

That of course can lead to a crazy mixed-up upside-down world when things go wrong as appears to be the case here.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Rotate 180

Or the connectors were at the bottom of the screen and it attaches to the roof.

5. This is not a drill
    Big Brother

Proxy down??

Port 8080 is one of the common ports used when people set up proxies, So I'm guess either the proxy or a network connectivity issue.

Have they tried turning the Northern Trains on or off again.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Proxy down??

Yes, on 1st march 2020, apparently...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Proxy down??

You really want it turned back on?

6. Warm Braw

The UK government was forced to step in

Much of the Northern saga results from (a) delayed Network Rail electrification projects preventing rolling stock being released for other lines and (b) the government not funding the Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road Capacity Scheme while insisting extra trains be forced through the congested Castlefield corridor. So it's more the case of the government stepping in to scapegoat the TOC in order to divert blame from the government.

Ironically, one reason the "Nodding Donkey Pacers" are being withdrawn is - not that they're noisy, uncomfortable, draughty, slow and polluting - but that they don't meet accessibility criteria as they lack, inter alia, electronic displays ...

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: The UK government was forced to step in

I have heard that another reason for the delayed introduction of new rolling stock is lack of training schedule/space/places for drivers, and that was before March. Who knew that converting from one train cab to another was the equivalent of switching between Airbus and Boeing? (p.s. I have never driven a train larger than 00 gauge).

1. Badbob

It’s far more complicated when switching between older and newer stock. The pacers were remarkably simple trains, with a lever for every power and brake operation.

Newer trains have far more computer control, complex door control and coupling systems as well as single lever power/brake control that takes a bit of getting used to.

That combined with different power and brake efficiencies.

Doesn’t take to long to show a new driver the controls and give them a chance to learn them, but imagine that, one at a time, over the course of hundreds of drivers, without interrupting the standard service. Also, a lot of new aircraft come with a Sim package for the airline, trains remain quite bespoke to the operator, so an SIM type facility is usually quite generic and more to do with learning how to deal with specific conditions rather than specific trains.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Meh, surely a few hours playing training on BVE is all you need to learn how to drive a different type of train… ;-)

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

The new trains are tricky to stop smoothly, judging by the experiences i was having before The World Changed.

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

Hope the new trains have better seats and interiors than the ones GWR have had forced on them. The government picked the seats which have virtually no or padding even in First Class. My arse started to go numb on my last trip and that was two hours of hell. I had somebody else paying for the tickets so I paid to upgrade to First Clas. I figured there would be less people in the carriage because in this new normal that seemed safer. Well that was true it was empty but stil not comfortable. The only other person in my carriage had brought a cushion which was very sensible.

Also they've got blinds instead of curtains and the blinds don't block much light. They also don't reach all the way to the bottom of the window. Therefore working using an electronic screen was uncomfortable with reflections from the blind. You'rr supposed to sit in the window seat so that didn't help either. On the return the sun was also an issue. The large gap between the bottom of the blind and the window let the sun's rays through.

3. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Westminster government not funding a trasport project North of Luton? Whodathunkit!

"Northern Powerhouse"... Ha!

But we still get to buy another London to Birmingham railway.

7. Adam 1

Upside down with an error message is still preferable to the trainwreck that is the new version of Firefox on Android.

8. Alister
    Thumb Up

One of these is deserved for the headline, definitely.

9. DrXym

Another explanation is for god knows what reason, they installed the screen in upside down and then rotated the web page 180 degrees to show it right side up instead of rotating the whole desktop. Weirder things have happened.

1. Annihilator

Was covered further up the comments, but in that installation I would well imagine installing the screen upside down makes more sense.

Permanently rotating the desktop is less persistent (a reboot, a rogue config change etc) - much easier to flip the web app.

10. Dave559 Silver badge

an unholy alliance between the body of a bus and the base of a freight wagon

That's a disturbingly accurate description of Pacers, from what I know of them (fortunately they were never inflicted where I live: reportedly the BR sector manager rightly refused to allow anything offering such poor passenger comfort (although basic Sprinters weren't an awful lot better, but when given only the choice of the lesser of two evils)).

From that description, I'm now worried that, somewhere gathering dust in the Awdry attic, there is a whole collection of Railway Series books deemed far too debased, and featuring all manner of wheeled abominations, to ever be accepted for publication or for Thomas or children to ever find out about…

11. Yes Me Silver badge
    WTF?

Optional

Register, I hate you. I had to turn my computer upside down.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trains

Best run by governments, dictators and non profits.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like