back to article DDoS downs New Zealand stock exchange for third consecutive day

New Zealand’s stock exchange (NZX) has closed for a third day thanks to a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. The exact nature of the incident is not known: an NZX spokesperson told The Register that “network connectivity issues relating to DDoS cybersecurity attacks” were behind the decision to close the market after …

1. Magani
    Happy

Kiwis, eh?

...there’s a chance the cheese or UHT milk you enjoy today started its life in the lush and deadpan-irony-laden pastures of New Zealand.

So Footrot Flats is still alive?

1. freddagg

Re: Kiwis, eh?

I'm still around though, I heard from Sheila in Te Kuiti who works for Spark

"We had to revert back to the number 8 fencing wire network, as a result we had limited network capacity as it's bloody hard to shove those photons down the wire."

2. Little Mouse

New Zealand Stock Exchange down

Rest of world notices two days later.

1. Yes Me Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: New Zealand Stock Exchange down

Since NZ is always half a day ahead of Europe, that's a bit unfair.

(The first web site in the world with a f***ed up date on 1/1/2000 was Auckland Airport. If I recall correctly, they displayed 1/1/100.)

3. downUnderAndToTheRight

Anti DDoS anyone

Some may speculate that their ISP should have had it sorted by now, others scratch their backsides and have another bit of toast.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Anti DDoS anyone

According to the article their ISP is Spark who are not the worst ISP in New Zealand, but that is a very low bar.

4. stuartnz

"DDoS downs New Zealand stock exchange for third consecutive day : So much for NZ as the last refuge of civilisation"

Some may consider this as strengthening NZ's claim to that title, not weakening it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Luckily NZ must have one of the highest proportion per head of skilled (hands on) cybersecurity professionals in the world, and when Spark asks for help they'll fix it!

1. Yes Me Silver badge

...when Spark asks for help...

But Spark knows best, so they won't even think about asking for help. They still have Post Office DNA.

6. JCitizen
    WTF?

Akamai

Shouldn't Akamai or similar reputable DDOS blocking provider be able to take care of that? Or are they just too cheap to wake up and realize this is the real world now?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh ok...

I'll make the joke.

If they ever build a defense for this they should call it Gandalf.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

1. MikeFromNZ
      Alert

Re: Oh ok...

.... hmmmm.... maybe I shouldn't have named the corporate firewall that then? What the hell, it makes me smile every time I have to do a CR

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like