back to article There can be only one: Visual Studio Codespaces 'consolidating' into GitHub Codespaces

Microsoft has bitten the bullet and is to drop Visual Studio Codespaces in favour of GitHub Codespaces. Formerly Visual Studio Online, Visual Studio Codespaces brought forth Azure-powered development environments, with either a browser-based version of Visual Studio Code or its desktop equivalent. A private preview using the …

1. Robert Grant

I can't wait for the inevitable Azure Codespaces rebrand, until it finally becomes Microsoft Codespaces in 2022. Lots of breathlessly excited blog posts from MS management to come!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They'll find a way of anally inserting it all into Teams. Brace for impact, folks.

1. razorfishsl

Yep... becasue everyone is a "programmer"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I can't wait for the inevitable Azure Codespaces rebrand, until it finally becomes Microsoft Codespaces in 2022

You need to leave room for "365" to be squeezed in somewhere.

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

Oh the joys of "cloud"

'Developers have until 17 February 2021 to shift off the Azure incarnation and into the loving embrace of GitHub Codespaces. At that point the Visual Studio Codespaces portal will be retired and "all plans and codespaces remaining in the service will be deleted," according to Microsoft.'

All our code back to the mid-80s is archived locally in our workshops. No third party can suddenly decide to delete it or force us to "migrate" it. There's much to be said for DIY.

1. Tom 38

Re: Oh the joys of "cloud"

Codespaces is not code repositories, its an environment for developing changes and running the stack of software you are developing in the cloud. Its an evolution of things like docker-compose to do "local" development, but running the containers you need (and the ones containing the code you are changing) remotely instead of locally.

It solves the problem of "I've just been put on this team, what do I have to do to start making changes to the code and testing it out" - with codespaces, you just start editing code in either a browser based editor, or in a local VS editor, and the changes are automatically run on instances spun up for your work. The idea is to speed up the time before a developer can start contributing, and reduce issues around different environments for different developers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh the joys of "cloud"

"running the stack of software" - and the only reason there is a stack at all is because Microsoft has around 194 different frameworks for 'doing Windows' and, as it's impossible to tell week on week which is beta, supported, deprecated, retired or the one true implementation you really should be using right now people, us sad folks who have to use this crap just use as many different MS products as we can.

This changes so much that my CV has now become sentient, modifies itself and now programs me.

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Devil

Have they been taking lessons from Google?

"Are people using this yet?"

"Yes, quite a lot actually."

"Good - burn it down and replace it with something much more complicated"

"Will do"

4. razorfishsl

MS wasting hundreds of thousands of other peoples productive man hours yet again

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like