back to article Microsoft: We're getting rid of Flash by the end of the year - except you can still use it

Microsoft confirmed that it plans to end support for Adobe Flash Player in its three browser variants at the end of the year, but the company intends to allow corporate customers to keep the outdated tech on life support beyond that date. In a blog post on Friday, Microsoft program manager Suchithra Gopinath said that the …

1. karlkarl Silver badge

How about companies like Microsoft put pressure on Adobe to release the source so that the community can clean it up and keep all those childhood flash games running?

... oh and those few annoying sodding routers where the developers thought a flash config tool was a good idea. Bunch of clowns.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

nas devices.

old vSphere and other older vmware products

routers

switches

firewalls

Now will have to be managed by ancient out-of-spec boxes that we keep around for the crappy java interfaces that are_still_shipping_on_devices_we_bought_new_this_week.

I can just see the auditor come in, what is this security hole doing here! Wipe it! Noooo!

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Unhappy

New devices, yes! We just got one recently. I had to use Camino browser to connect to the web interface, and the client software needs admin rights in windows to do some tasks?!

Flash one of VMware's bad choices. Glad we have 6.5 in production.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

AFAIK in vSphere 6.7 the Update Manager plug-in works only in the Flash interface still.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

Yes, the old games are the ones to suffer.

How about companies like Microsoft put pressure on Adobe to release the source so that the community can clean it up and keep all those childhood flash games running?

https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2020/08/25/british_army_scrap_tanks_cyber/#c_4096502

1. jake Silver badge

If the old games are all that important to you ...

... that you must see them in situ, simply put them on an airgapped system. It's not like old hardware costs money, and the old code isn't going to suddenly stop working.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"updates that arrive in the summer of 2021"

Heh, heh. I'm on Windows 7. Borkzilla is no longer supporting that version, so I'm immune from Flash updates.

Ah, being obsolete is starting to feel good.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: "updates that arrive in the summer of 2021"

Soooo having one of the most insecure pieces of software running on an insecure OS is a good thing??????

OK. Can I have your IP address so I can add it to my black list.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Organisations creating new websites that use Flash are first into the block list.

Followed by those who fail to plan to get rid of Flash from their existing website.

4. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

And Lloyds bank, who have a bit of flash that tries to load whenever you try to log into banking. Why?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

re: Lloyds Bank

How do they do it for someone using IOS then?

Thanks (sic) to Steve Jobs, that platform has been Flash free for since birth (or thereabouts).

If you don't like that bit of flash trying to load why not try the mobile version of the site by pretending that you are running Safari on IOS?

Flash should have died over a decade ago. Adobe needs to hang its head in shame for keeping it around for so long.

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Re: re: Lloyds Bank

The Flash on the banking website doesn't actually do anything important. All my browsers block flash, but I can still use the banking website. It just *tries* to load it.

5. gobaskof
    Facepalm

Please install Flash so you can learn not to.

When I worked at the NIST I needed to install Flash to watch a mandatory IT training video which recommended against installing Flash. I not sure there is a better metaphor for the disconnect between NISTs security research/policy recommendations and the clueless numpties implementing the policies.

6. Roland6 Silver badge

"And Microsoft plans to make Flash Player loadable through its browser plug-in interface."

So back to how things were at the beginning when Flash, Shockwave etc. were third-party plug-in's....

7. Lorribot

It not just Intranet, there is a whole raft of management interfaces for firewalls, storages systems and other behind teh scenes stuff that needs to be updated to most recent versions to be able to mange those systems. Unfortunately for many those upgardes may require hardware replacement as teh the systems are no longer supported.

Yes, its shit but it is real life for many sysadmins, not the idealised world we all wished we lived in.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they still have flash apps they need to run, then let them run a fucking windows 95/IE6 virtual machine.

9. macjules
    Childcatcher

Disabling Flash Player by default won't necessarily kill off Flash apps.

When will this nightmare end? It looks like it is going to be easier to eradicate COVID-19 than Flash.

1. Dwarf
      Joke

Re: Disabling Flash Player by default won't necessarily kill off Flash apps.

When will this nightmare end? It looks like it is going to be easier to eradicate COVID-19 than Flash.

How about the other way around - dilute flash with warm water and wash regularly to avoid COVID.

At least if we dilute it, then it will gradually disappear.

1. macjules

Re: Disabling Flash Player by default won't necessarily kill off Flash apps.

Or, "Flash users must self-isolate for 14 days after exposure to www.adobe.com".

10. jake Silver badge

Never mind Flash ...

... people still use Adobe code? Why?

Yeah, I know, for the same reason that people still use Redmond. Poor things.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Never mind Flash ...

Unbeknown to most, Flash is still baked into Acrobat - it's used to display any form of multimedia, including video, audio and 3D visualizations. While these are certainly a bit niche, the 3D stuff is fairly widely used within that niche to display technical renderings of machine parts.

11. Mike 16

Dilution?

Are you suggesting that homeopathy doesn't work? Even for software copied off eldritch scrolls and translated in pieces by multiple people in a humor-free environment?

Oh dear, I seem to have lost the thread there. Exposure to Flash, or even discussions of it, can do that.

12. luminous

- The decision, she said, follows from "the diminished usage of the technology and the availability of better, more secure options such as HTML5, WebGL, and WebAssembly."

None of those things can do what Flash can, or at least as lean as it can...

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

... neatly demonstrating that you understand neither Flash nor WebGL.

2. Lee D Silver badge

Please give one example of something you want to do.

Because a few years ago (and I'm sure it's matured since then), I recompiled a 10-year-old GUI application for Webassembly and - with nothing more than minor tinkering to take account of the browser security DOM when accessing files or network ports (Websockets) - it just worked.

The problem with Flash is that it does nothing that those techs can't do, except when what you "want to do" is something you shouldn't ever be doing in a browser anyway (e.g. local filesystem access).

13. Lee D Silver badge

JUST.

DIE.

ALREADY.

I've banned my users from having Flash for the last 6 years and I thought even that was slow!

14. Lotaresco

To go, boldly, lately

Good to see Microsoft realising 13 years too late that Flash is a junkpit.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash, Flash, I love you!

But we only have fourteen weeks to save the.... eh, sod it.

16. I am the liquor

Everybody! Everybody!

Homestar Runner is all on Youtube, I think we can safely throw Flash down the garbage disposal now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like