back to article Larry Ellison abruptly pulls rug from under philanthropy foundation after two years to 'focus on COVID-19 fight'

Larry Ellison's generous philanthropy is as famous as his bulging $78.2bn net worth and mahogany complexion. Well, almost. Except in these uncertain times, the Oracle CTO and founder has struggled to know where best to focus his do-goodery. According to news outlet Vox, two years' work on the Larry Ellison Foundation, his …

1. Robert Grant

But for now, the man who made wearing grey sweaters without a shirt the look for the over 70s is preoccupied with COVID-19

When bad sentences happen to good readers :-)

2. Alister

Well he has to be careful with his money you know, can't just splash 2bn around willy-nilly.

3. xyz123 Silver badge

I remember

I remember a documentary. Bill gates was talking about how he's fighting malaria and helping with sanitation in the developing world.

Sergey Brin mentioned how he's trying to develop tech so everyone can access the internet regardless of wealth.

Larry Ellison showed the presenter how many expensive things he has, how much his things are worth, where he got his rare stuff from and what junk he was planning to buy next.

1. Nunyabiznes
      Meh

Re: I remember

So Larry was the only one not trying to make himself look good? At least he's forthright.

1. Tomato42

Unlike Ellison, Gates is actually contributing his (and Amanda's, his wife) time to the foundation. So no, it's not just to "make himself look good", he's actually doing good.

1. DavCrav

"(and Amanda's, his wife)"

Melinda.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I thought Gates was responsible for spreading COVID via G5 networks?

1. You aint sin me, roit
            Trollface

That's the Chinese, specifically Huawei.

Bill Gates is responsible for the microchips in each shot of covid vaccine, fulfilling his ultimate plan to track everyone on the planet.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Oh, so now he's focusing on something ?

The difference between Ellison and Gates is that Gates was an opportunist who became a philanthropist who is actually making a difference in this world.

Whereas Ellison is just an asshole who does the minimum for his image but is way more interested in his money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, so now he's focusing on something ?

I don't think we can call a rich bloke out for simply being minted.

Ellison is simply a person who has access to more money than you and me and possibly the UK. It does not matter. When you get to numbers like that, then value ceases to be an issue. There is no value any more. There is simply a number.

1. Keythong

The problem is neither, it is that, anyone, or any organisation, is allowed to rentier * accumulate such obscene sums of currency; more so than some significant governments, allowing them dangerous private power

* Corporate Capitalism is the embodiment of rentierism, for its workers and society.

Personal donations by the obscenely rich are in no way adequate compensation, and can be abused like Gates and Soros have been doing, without classical virtue checks to limit damage, or even for nefarious purposes.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

This.

In the Age of Kings, when they limited the power of over-mighty subjects they were accused of lopping down the tallest poppies, but they were then acting in the interests of their subjects as well as themselves.

Another perspective on Billy-Boy's fabulous generosity --- which just touches on the fact the capital never seems to go down even as he gives massively to pharmaceuticals that other branches of his empire are invested in:

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/bill-gates-foundation-philanthropy/

He saves more in taxes by giving than most people will ever have in their bank account in a lifetime *, and by depriving the State of the disposal of such monies evolves NGOs into parallel states.

Larry flies straight compared to Gates.

* $4 billion by Gates' own estimate.

1. Chris G

For some philanthropy is the word they use to describe molding the world into their preferred image.

2. James Anderson

Give the guy a break.

Eradicating Malaria will save millions of lives and help lift the third world out of poverty.

If the money went on taxes it would likely be spent on giving serious military kit to untrained police in the name of "Homeland Security".

Besides after you first couple of million the amount of tax you pay (or not) is entirely up to you and your accountants -- just ask Donald Trump.

2. HMcG

By your own reasoning then, there is every reason to call him out. He could contribute a vast amount of money to improving the lives of others, without making any difference to his own, as he would still have the same 'value', his personal wealth being 'just being a number'.

5. macjules

a "laboratory for health and wellness powered by data"

a "laboratory surrounded by liquid magma where we train sharks to use frikkin' laser beams"

FTFY

1. PPCNI

Re: a "laboratory for health and wellness powered by data"

Best quote ever! (One of those wee smilies with tears running down face).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: a "laboratory for health and wellness powered by data"

Hate to break it to you, but Bezos probably got there first ....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like