back to article Intel screams Tiger Lake is 'world's best processor' (then quietly into its sleeve: for thin Windows, ChromeOS laptops)

Having celebrated the arrival of its 11th-generation Core technology last month, Intel on Wednesday held a virtual event to announce the official launch of what it has already discussed, its latest line of processors for laptops. Developed under the code name Tiger Lake, the nine-member chip family received a fresh coat of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Munch crunch munch crunch

The sound of AMD already having eaten your lunch and now they're reaching for your cake so they can eat that too.

1. Julz

Re: Munch crunch munch crunch

Surly than should be, nom, nom, nom...

1. Oh Matron!

Re: Munch crunch munch crunch

Surely that should be NULL, NULL, NULL?

2. oiseau
    WTF?

Just asking

Intel screams Tiger Lake is 'world's best processor' ...

Hmmm ...

Don't know.

Does it come with the new and improved Intel® Management Engine?

You know, the little black box with full access to your PC’s hardware, system memory, display, keyboard input, and network.

Yes, that one.

Which cannot be disabled.

Just thought I'd ask.

O.

3. nautica Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Couldn't happen to a more deserving company...

WOWEEEE!

All of TWO comments (not including this one) in FOUR FULL HOURS!

You're in deep shit, Intel.

You're getting everything you deserve.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Couldn't happen to a more deserving company...

To be fair, TOA was posted at 23:24 UTC ... Europe was asleep, most of the US was winding down for the day. That's, what, probably 90% of ElReg's commentards? Commentardary usually slows way down between about 4PM Pacific time and around midnight Pacific, when Europe starts getting to work in the morning.

2. GrumpenKraut
      Trollface

Well, the intel announcements are getting boring. It is hard to even make a lame joke. OK, I'll bite.

intel "We are still there, really!"-edition.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Intel: the "I'm not dead! I'm getting better! I feel fine!" edition.

4. RM Myers
    Unhappy

Treat these benchmarks with an enormous amount of salt.

Treat ANY benchmarks from the manufacturers with an enormous amount of salt, whether for CPU's, GPU's networking gear or any thing else.

1. Contrex

Re: Treat these benchmarks with an enormous amount of salt.

Don't we **take** things we are sceptical about with with a pinch of salt? And **treat** icy road surfaces with the stuff?

1. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

It's best not to be ambiguous - "Swallow" these benchmarks with an enormous amount of salt.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Happy

Now you're just Larking around

1. jake Silver badge

Somehow I suspect the dodo has no egrets. What do you want to bet the tit decides to crow about it? Hopefully for us all he knows that honey makes a better flycatcher ...

5. TWB

What's wrong with "times"?

When did '3 times' become '3X' (said 'three-ex')?

Or is he reading dumbly from a script?

Or am I getting old?......

1. Roger Anderson

Re: What's wrong with "times"?

I thought I must of misunderstood what he meant the first time. Then he did it again another '3-ex' times. WTF is that all about?

2. jake Silver badge

Eh? That's been a common abbreviation for as long as I can remember.

1. Roger Anderson

Yes, in the written form. Said out loud though?

1. jake Silver badge

Yes. Out loud. Ever need to take a prescription drug 2X/day? I remember it used in many other places, too ... For example, 2X or 3X stock performance was common marketing bullshit in aftermarket car parts for a while. Etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm a Brit, and i've never heard anyone say "ex" when pronouncing 2x etc. , It's always pronounced "times"

1. jake Silver badge

Too young to have used a DX2 or DX4 processor? Same concept, different order. (I suspect this is a "separated by a common language" moment. Vive la différence.)

1. Andrew Molyneux

The X in DX2/DX4 doesn’t mean “times”. A 486DX just has an integrated FPU missing from 486SX models - I’m pretty sure “SX” and “DX” don’t stand for anything meaningful at all. And even if you interpret “DX2” as meaning “2 times” (because the external clock was doubled - eg a 486DX2-50 had a 25MHz external clock), the 486DX4-75 and -100 ran at a 3x multiplier, not 4x.

1. jake Silver badge

The X in DX2 certainly did mean times. See the advertising of the era. The DX4 was supposed to be called the DX3 (signifying 3 times clock speed), but Intel was stopped from using that name because of ongoing litigation with AMD, and thus went with DX4 ... so naturally all the wags laughed about how Intel couldn't do math, and of course Intel Marketing, in the long tradition of the Technical World[0], declared that it didn't mean that at all and never did, often in a print interview in a rag currently running advertising that clearly showed it did.

Dontcha just love Marketing?

[0] See Redmond and "NT doesn't stand for New Technology" ...

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

No, x doesn't mean times or multiply in sx and dx.

SX means Single word eXtension (16bit)

DX means Double word eXtension (32bit)

Introduced for the 386 line.

Carried on for the 486 line as the differentiator between with and without Co processor.

Also the DX3 was an unreleased CPU with a 2.5 FSB multiplier.

2. Bela Lubkin

> I’m pretty sure “SX” and “DX” don’t stand for anything meaningful at all

Oh no, it was amply demonstrated over time that 'SX' stood for 'sucks'. (Which meant that 'DX' stood for 'doesn't suck as much'.)

Sometimes 'SX' meant 'we removed half the I/O bus', sometimes 'we removed the integrated FPU'; whatever the tech details, it was clear what it meant to the user.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Course, technically it should be 3× and not 3X (or 3x). Most people haven't got that as a shortcut on their keyboards though (AutoHotKey is awesome).

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

I seem to remember we once had a very similar argument about thousands separators (commas, apostrophes or full-stops) and the use of the full-stop instead of the proper decimal·point for decimal·fractions.

1'234.567

1,234·567

etc.

M.

1. jake Silver badge
                  Pint

Which is just as pointless as arguing over the proper way to order a beer ...

Haluaisin olut, kiitos!

Hoffwn gael cwrw, os gwelwch yn dda!

Chciałbym piwo, proszę!

Mi ŝatus bieron, mi petas!

Me gustara una cerveza, por favor!

I used to know over 50 translations ... This round's on me.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
                    Headmaster

Re: What's wrong with "times"? @Jake

"Haluaisin olut, kiitos!"

'Olut' is the nominative case for beer, and doesn't work grammatically in that sentence. You'd need to use the accusative case, 'oluen', or just simplify it to "Olut, kiitos!".

BR,

Pedantic Grammar Nazi

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

All wrong, if you ask me. If you're a scientist publishing in most major journals, it's 1234.567 (no separator for four digits) and 12 345.67 (specifically a thin space for >4 digits... another exciting use of AHK, although I suspect this forum system will not honour its rendering). Or 1.234567 × 104, if you like.

3. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Perhaps it's really been developed for xxx-rated videos?

4. AIBailey

I'm with you there. I've literally never heard anyone say it as "three ex" before.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My times wife said it all the x

1. GrumpenKraut
          Thumb Up

Fucking brilliant.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

The only times that I say Ex out loud is when referring to XXXL T-shirts, pronounced "Triple Ex El Fat Bastard".

... But that's an abbreviation of Extra, not Times, sorry, coffee hasn't kicked I yet.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Four ex was a popular expression once, especially in relation to Aussie lager...

1. hopkinse

usually accompanied by "eugh that tastes like p*ss" :-)

2. Old Used Programmer

Dos Equis and Tres Equis...both beers made in Mexico.

6. Maelstorm Bronze badge

I'm not impressed

Given the performance (or lack of) from the company and it's products, and the problems with it's fabrication as of late, I am not impressed by this at all. Other manufacturers have successfully cracked the 7nm scale of lithographic semiconductor fabrication which means that Intel is behind the curve. This is just a way for them to buy some time so they can play catch up. It is also a way for them to replace revenue from dwindling chip sales as people switch to AMD. All the various fiascoes and blunders with their products (including hardware security issues), this might be the last big hurrah for the company before its' inevitable decline.

Wasn't it Bill Gates who said that all companies will eventually be replaced?

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

Re: I'm not impressed

The AMD-Intel balance has ebbed and flowed for as long as I can remember. There are times when AMD are on top and other (generally more frequent) times when it's Intel.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: I'm not impressed

"Other manufacturers have successfully cracked the 7nm scale of lithographic semiconductor fabrication which means that Intel is behind the curve."

The 'cracking' means that the other manufacturers bought the very expensive EUV lithography systems from ASML who did all the 'cracking'. Intel instead hedged their bets on developing the tech in-house. Intel failed under Krzanich's watch ...and he was let go.

Intel still has all the money and muscles to develop bleeding edge lithography, but they just lack the know-how.

7. LeahroyNake

Imitators ?

"The 11th Gen Core processor is the best processor Intel has ever built. It's the best processor on the market. And it certainly rises above all the imitators."

The 'imitators' that are shipping products in volume while Intel is probably going to use TSMC as they can't sort their own fabs out.

I am looking forward to some actual reviews on a retail product by a third party. Until then it's just marketing bollocks to try and keep the shareholders happy.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Imitators ?

I am looking forward to some actual reviews on a retail product by a third party.

Your best bet is probably to keep your eye on Phoronix then.

Here is his first take on the matter.

M.

8. Binraider Silver badge

I'll be waiting for the proof in the pudding,thanks. Zen is quite a wall to climb

9. Cosmin Roman
    Coat

EVO or Evo

After mentioning that the Evo name for Intel's products is not all-caps (to distinguish it from Samsung's EVO), you wrote EVO all caps at the end of the article :)

Will get my pedant/OCD (not Ocd) coat now ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like