back to article India's telecoms given ten years to pay $22bn in back taxes they've already disputed for a decade

India's supreme court has given the nation's telcos a decade to pay billions of dollars in back taxes. The case dates back to 1999, when India introduced a taxation model that required the country's telecoms companies to share a percentage of revenues with the nation's government. A decade-long dispute over how that sum should …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given my experience with Vodaphone....

...specifically getting them to return money they grabbed then one hopes India has better laws than the UK

1. Flak

Re: Given my experience with Vodaphone....

Hope is a lousy strategy.

2. Jay 2

Yes, that does still annoy me somewhat. Something like the following wasn't it?

HMRC: You owe us £LOTS

Voda: What!?

<lots of to/fro>

Voda: How about £notsomuch

HMRC: OK

I suspect anyone else attempting something like that would be told by HMRC in no uncertain terms that it's not going to happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Jay, India's tax regime is even more chaotic than HMRC.

Most people don't pay tax because it has to be paid in person and nobody trusts the tax collectors to not trouser it, so nobody pays it.

Have a look at:

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/14/india_honoring_the_honest_tax_scheme/

India total tax revenue last year was £58bn for the UK for comparison was £623bn

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Even most of Africa has digital payment methods.

Way to go India!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>> Most people don't pay tax because it has to be paid in person

Complete and utter bullshit.

For eg

https://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Banking/onlineservice/online-services/online-tax-payment/online-tax-payment.page

3. GioCiampa

I assume they'll take the taxman out for a nice meal or two... worked here after all...

2. Duffaboy
    Joke

I think that

a payment of £2 a week should cover it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Power of big corporations

If you're big enough, you can tell countries to ef off when it comes to taxes. A decade of dispute and another decade to pay. And, one assumes, one or more reductions in the amount during the next decade. Plus the possibility of further delays.

India will be lucky to get enough to pay for tandoori chicken for Modi and his staff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Power of big corporations

>> If you're big enough

Yeah "IF" - Voda just ain't big enough...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241577/number-of-vodafone-mobile-customers-by-markets/

India is their largest market.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like