back to article Samsung reveals new folding stuff for people who like flaunting wads of folding stuff

Changed banks lately? Samsung thinks you're more likely to have done that than to have changed from iOS to Android. The company's inertia-buster is its new Galaxy Z Fold2, a 5G device that will cost around $1,799 and unashamedly be marketed as a luxury item. "It really is a status symbol," Samsung staff told The Register at a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I will buy one when it can also

Toast very small sandwiches

Press trousers for pixies

Act as a robotic PacMan toy

Punch holes in A4 paper

Crimp the edges of Cornish pasties

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I will buy one when it can also

I played with one in the Samsung store, check out the case, it covers 1/4 the body, the right hand side rear, the one and only part that isn't a delicate screen waiting to be smashed is the part it protects.

You can't carry it in your pocket because it is too big and will break, and you can't put it in your bag with your keys and coins and cards because the case won't protect it, and coins lint and sand will get into it.

It's nice to 'open' and pose, but once its open it looks like a small cheap thick Chinese tablet, so you'd have to keep opening it and closing it in your fancy restaurant hoping people will notice its a foldable, and be impressed.

I've ordered a Tab s7+ tablet, you'd think the salesman would be keen to let me play with their zfold2 phone, given I just bought their most expensive tablet with accessories, yet he was very reluctant when I started even opening it and trying to see if it would fit in a jacket pocket... I think his face tells me all I need to know.

I think if I need to impress, I'll whip out my 12.4 inches, and start doing air gestures with my pointer. "It has enough energy to go for 12 hours!" I'll say out loud. Man will I look cool! Only problem is, it's rigid all the time and I can't fit it in my pants, but that's normal for me. "Does this tablet come in blue?"

1. Gob Smacked
        WTF?

"I played with one in the Samsung store, .... bla bla"

Don't lie, you AC. It's just announced. You "might" have fondled with its predecessor, but I doubt even that now.

1. Triggerfish

I fondled the previous one, and TBH I thought it is a device that has potential. Right now yeah I wouldn't buy one even if I had that money to throw around. But I can see something like this (with a stylus) or the MS surface duo being a useful little tool for emails and light office stuff when out and about, or entertainment also if about when not wanting to carry a laptop or tablet.. i didn't think it was that big pocket wise although I didn't try and put it in my pocket, but it didn't seem a lot bigger than a s20+

i just right now think the price is too high and the tech too new.

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

" I'll whip out ..."

Was I the only one getting a Blazing Saddles fashback....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When it can defend me against the Evil LawnGnomes & their pointy hats of doom!

*Notices a hoarde of them sneaking up through the grass*

AIEEE! Run away! Run away!

Dried frog pills. It's what's for breakfast.

3. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Go

It can probably do at least the first two if you get it nice and warm streaming video; tiny ironing board and tiny panini press seem like achievable functions. #3 is up to your imagination, and #4 and #5 will probably be optional add-ons if the device succeeds.

1. EVP
        Pint

You stole my exact ideas, i.e. confirmed that they are feasible and great. Shall we establish a startup together to design and market accessories for #4 and #5? Seed of 10 M€ / 8.9 M£ should be okayish xD

Have a —>

2. PhoenixKebab
    Trollface

Extortionate pricing

Ridiculous price. I could get an Apple monitor stand and a set of Mac Pro wheels for that much money!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Extortionate pricing

Fancy a race then?

3. Mark192

What price would you put in being able to read the screen without glasses?

Stick adverts in places where mostly older people gather - bingo, Facebook etc...) and Samsung'll see these things fly of the shelves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good point

I will add 'double as a glasses case' to my requirements

1. John Jennings

Re: Good point

Stick a sheet of clingfilm inside your specs case and you are sorted..... Noone can see what you are doing at range anyway.... Snaps closed with a reassuring thwauup....

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Ooh look!

It's two phones stuck together! Just what I always wanted... er...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ooh look!

The Microsoft thingie is 2 phones stuck together. This is 2 phones that have conjoined. The only question is, when they reproduce, will Samsung bill you £1700 for each of their spawn

2. druck Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Ooh look!

That's an idea. I'll just duct tape my old S5 to my S7, for a far more affordable foldable.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Pricing

Apple seemed to do well enough when they put the price up to > $ 1000 for their phones and for some people the price is what makes it a status symbol. I would the market for these devices would skew very much to Asia where mobile devices are used for more services than in the West. And also, outside Japan, where Apple has less cachet. Certainly Samsung thinks so to have adopted a yearly release schedule. It would not surprise me to see them do even bigger ones if they think they have the material problems solved / can live with the lower yields, because the next iteration is the notebook killer.

I have a Planet Gemini so I understand the appeal of a device that can replace a tablet at times, though admittedly it was the keyboard that I thought would be most useful. Unfortunately, Planet have dropped the ball on QA and after sales: I've had to replace the keys twice and it's only had two firmware updates, which haven't resolved all the problems. So, while I had it with me on my last holiday, I found I actually used my S10e with a cheap external keyboard instead, not perfect but certainly usable.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Pricing

Gemini has had loads of updates, if you chose Sailfish and not chavdroid.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Pricing

Mine didn't come with Sailfish and I don't see how that would fix the various hardware problems: I don't use it much, but it's now getting difficult to switch on via the Escape button.

6. FatGerman

Ludicrous

Phones started off massive, but computers were even more massive back then. Then everything got smaller, then computers kept getting smaller while phones started getting bigger again.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between this and a macBook Air in terms of how useful it is as a telephone.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Ludicrous

I'm not really sure what the difference is between this and a macBook Air in terms of how useful it is as a telephone.

Your arm will get tired faster holding a Macbook Air to your ear.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung kit is shit

It never works; it's never supported; it's never as good as the price implies; it's never thought through; Samsung never respects the buyer; you'll never be satisfied with a Samsung. Samsung is the sex cancer of the soul.

Avoid.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Samsung kit is shit

"Samsung is the sex cancer of the soul."

Ouch.

2. RM Myers
      Coat

Anonymous Coward?

Mr. Cook, why are you so tim(id)?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Childcatcher

Re: Anonymous Coward?

The Two Ronnies sketch about a timid man being questioned by his boss (Paraphrased).

RB: Married, with two chiildren.....so you have been adventurous at least twice in your life then!

RC: Yes...Well..the wife was asleep on both of those occasions.

3. Apprentice

Having owned scores of Samsung phones, tablets, smartwatches TV's and other tech over the past decade, I can vouch that they have ALL worked, have been supported and in most cases have lived up to the expectations of the premium price. I am very satisfied as a consumer of their products.

Your rather childish statement...debunked.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh well, if a single person on the internet says something's true, then it has to be true.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Yoda

As Yoda might say - "Flashy or not flashy; there is no function."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yoda

"Function there is none; flat there is much"

9. Dave 126 Silver badge

Well, there's a place in the market for the 'let's build it just because we can' approach - there's 8 billion people on the planet, so someone might buy it.

There's also a place in the market for extensive studying of what people need to do, devising a good way of doing it and then imposing these ways on users.

And neither approach is perfect, and the companies involved won't ignore the market for ever.

The result? Samsung phones are now less likely to incorporate features nobody asked for, and, coming from the other direction, Apple eventually made bigger phones and allowed 3rd party keyboards.

10. Tim99 Silver badge
    Gimp

Er, no

I'm not even a moderately dedicated fanboy, but I am moderately monied, and there is no way Samsung is going to pry my iPhone from my hands with that...

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Er, no

Yeah pretty sure approximately zero iPhone owners are going to buy this thing. When people switch from iOS to Android it is not because "oh I really wish there was a folding phone that's heavy and unfolds into a nearly square shape which is the most useless form factor of all!"

I'll bet this sees fewer sales than their first folding phone. The hype for folding phones in the popular press is over, and the kind of people who like to be the first to try something new already tried one last year. Maybe there's a tiny band of dedicated believers who have been waiting for the second generation Fold, but not enough to sustain Samsung's R&D for a third one.

1. Gob Smacked

Re: Er, no

> I'll bet this sees fewer sales than their first folding phone. The hype for folding phones in the popular press is over...

I just got more excited.. Guess it depends on your preconceptions and what you seek in personal tech.

Wish I got the money, but I could try and have the boss buy it for me instead :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like