back to article Samsung says it makes the world’s best holes. Yes, holes. Holes so good they even get a brand

Samsung’s Display business has claimed the mantle as the maker of the world’s most advanced holes. The company today announced that independent science safety company “UL” has just “verified its new OLED hole display as having image quality low in color deviation in terms of ‘hole area clarity,’ providing a balanced level of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Show me your holes!

Uh huh... I can *totally* see that becoming a marketing phrase on everyone's lips.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Show me your holes!

I've, ah, well, ah, heard rumors that there are certain anatomically oriented websites where that phrase is on everyone's lips (or chat comments). Just a rumor though, I won't admit to being able to can't personally verify it.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Coat

Patents?

I hope they've checked that Apple doesn't have a patent on round holes.

3. KittenHuffer Silver badge

So if it's the 'Best' hole ....

.... then it must be the 'A' hole!!!

Other manuf*cturers can only manage a 'B' hole, or even a 'C' hole!

-----> We really need a Goatse icon ........ NOT!

1. MarthaFarqhar

Re: So if it's the 'Best' hole ....

Bit of a stretch to ask for that.

4. Piro Silver badge

A notch by any other name

Is still a defect in part of the screen.

No thanks.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"OLED hole displays matter because they allow a selfie-shooting camera to be embedded below a smartphone’s screen, "

Which actually is done so you can't tape the camera shut. To better to watch you, my dear friend phone user.

No way to shut it otherwise either, I can already predict.

6. devTrail

Just the starting point

All right, now let's wait for the pen that can write in zero gravity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just the starting point

You all know that's been done? The patent has probably expired already.

I kind of like the practicality of the Russian fix for a zero gravity pen of just using a pencil.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Less practical than you'd think. Pencils shed graphite dust, and in not-so-extreme cases they can shed pretty large chunks. Graphite is highly conductive, and if that stuff gets in your instrument panel, you're going to have problems. Aside from that, the entire pencil is flammable as well, which isn't a great property in the oxygen-rich atmosphere of a space capsule.

It's all a myth, anyway. The "space pen" was invented by a chap called Paul Fisher, who saw a tremendous sales and marketing opportunity when the space race was kicking off, and invented a nifty pressurised pen system that had a multitude of uses beyond just working in microgravity. The US and the Soviet space programs both bought his pens in the late 60s, because they didn't want to use pencils.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
          Boffin

All true, but consider that they could have simply used wax crayons instead.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

The Marines had bought up the entire supply.

7. heyrick Silver badge

What they need to do

Is figure out a way to overlay the image sensor with a transparent OLED matrix, so when the camera isn't being used as a camera, it just vanishes entirely and doesn't leave an annoying missing bit in the screen.

8. ThatOne Silver badge
    Devil

The world's best holes

Holes in your wallet, yes...

9. Mike 137 Silver badge

"... a selfie-shooting camera ..."

The basic universal problem with all smart phone cameras the quality of the lens. There's a very good reason why an even moderate quality SLR lens has ten or more elements and is quite large (massive by smart phone standards). You just can't do it in a few millimetres on each axis.

It's worthy of note that those huge iphone landscape adverts on the London tube posters are described as something like "enhanced for reproduction" in tiny print on one corner. But I suppose the quality expectations of a "selfie" are not that high.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: "... a selfie-shooting camera ..."

Personally, a selfie needs to be low quality and out of focus otherwise it will capture too much detail of my face and nobody wants to see that.

10. fidodogbreath

Call me when they have developed a portable hole, a la Wile E Coyote.

1. amateriat

But just ask WEC how well those really worked for him

11. Zebo-the-Fat

Problem?

What's the big problem of having a "notch" anyway What are you watching that must use every millimeter of screen?

12. tip pc Silver badge
    Coat

Hey A Hole

i had my coat on already!!

13. Robert Grant

Such tarnishing is unacceptable when 5G smartphones are now making heavy demands on high-resolution and high-speed content, requiring an enhanced level of image quality throughout a display

Ah, marketing. Pointless mention of 5G? Check.

1. Shadow Systems
      Pint

Re: Bullshit marketing.

(Sorry, I know that's being redundant.)

I was going to post a similar comment, but you've beat me to it & I'll give you a pint in agreement.

*Hands you a tankard & taps rims*

Here's to filling out your bullshit bingo card!

14. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Not satisfied with just the Bixby button

Samsung is diversifying their line of premium features that customers didn't ask for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like