back to article iPhone soon to be Hecho en Mexico? Taiwan's Foxconn, Pegatron mulling going south of the US border – report

Taiwanese electronics manufacturers Foxconn and Pegatron are, along with other equipment makers, reportedly considering building factories in the sunny climes of Mexico. Reuters cited three sources familiar with the matter in reporting that Foxconn is considering the Latin American nation as a potential home for a massive new …

1. Shadow Systems

Wouldn't that be ironic?

A major manufacturing facility located South of the border to tempt an immigration rush in the other direction.

A mass exodus by the millions of unemployed Americans fleeing the pandemic for greener Southern pastures.

Hey Trump, how's that MAGA goin' again?

*Sigh*

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Wouldn't that be ironic?

Easy:

Factory in the USA -> Made in the USA

Factory in Canada -> Made in Canada

Factory in Mexico -> Made in America

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

yeah, well, I expect 'Hecho en Mexico' or similar to be proudly displayed on the package someplace. There's a bit of pride in what they do, south of the border, and they'll do a good job.

And I bet there will be the opportunity for more automated assembly in Mexico, newer equipment etc. If you're going to make a capital investment in buildings, equipment, and hiring, the cost of transportation and "other things" make Mexico a sensible choice. And, let's face it - more automation means you don't have to hire quite as many new people to do the same job...

[I'll avoid a mental image of hundreds of people hand-placing components with tweezers and magnifiers, because I don't think they actually do that any more in China... or do they?]

1. martinusher Silver badge

>I'll avoid a mental image of hundreds of people hand-placing components with tweezers and magnifiers

A modern pick and place system is a lot faster and more accurate than any human being, even assuming a human can actually place the parts in the first place. The units I'm familiar with are German, BTW, which explains why the German economy has been doing OK, they're big in industrial automation.

Not all parts can be placed by the machine. Typically what will happen is that the bulk of the board gets placed and soldered in a very long 'oven', the board will get cleaned and any parts that can't go through this process due to size or intolerance to being cooked in a ten zone oven will be placed and soldered manually. (A factory's procedures will vary depending on the product volume.) After cleaning and testing the board will then be given a conformal coating. Its wonderful to watch and while we're aware that there's Chinese facilities that are sub-standard any serious one will be using the same state of the art equipment that we do.

There's nothing stopping the same kind of lines being set up in Mexico but why would you bother? We're the other side of the border in California and so you wouldn't be surprised to discover that if you're on the shop floor the most common language spoken by the workforce is Spanish**. The workforce is reasonably well paid but that's only part of the story -- its the setting up and supervision of the lines that's the skilled work -- its seriouisly skilled work (and diagnosing problems isn't trivial, either).

(**Obviously everyone being a local is totally bi-lingual. Its a cultural thing.....)

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Fender do this very successfully, with guitars. I'm sure there are car makers and others already doing this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You assume correctly. Ciudad Juarez and Reynosa have a lot of manufacturing clustered just across the border. You'll find plenty of OEMs along with top and mid-tier contract manufacturers.

2. RobThBay

My 2017 VW Golf was made in Mexico.

Blackberry used to manufacture some of their BB10 phones in Mexico.

3. Graham Lockley

At last, Apple can truthfully say 'Made in America'

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It makes sense. South America and Africa will benefit massively from the Chinese Communist Party's tantrum.

5. NeilPost Silver badge

Hecho en Sunderland/Hecho en Bridgend

There will be a 2 deprived area’s soon for consideration when Ford close and Nissan leaveZ

Indeed in Bridgend you could either poach some staff from Sony - make high end broadcast equipment, Contract electronics manufacturing (the make Raspberry Pi’s there) and repair centre. I’m sure many of the Ford engine plant (internal and contract for JLR) staff can be retrained.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like