back to article Brit uni's AI algorithm clocks 50 exoplanets hidden in Kepler space 'scope archives

A machine-learning algorithm has sniffed out 50 highly likely exoplanets previously hidden in data collected by NASA’s now-defunct Kepler space telescope. The system uses a gaussian process classifier that crunches through a list of possible planet candidates, and assigns a percentage describing how likely each object is an …

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Timeline of exoplanet discoveries...

... in an animated video:

https://www.businessinsider.com/extrasolar-planet-nasa-discoveries-data-animated-map-2019-7?r=US&IR=T

2. Ragarath

EVE online Project Discovory

Machines are just better at finding alien worlds than us humans

EVE Online's project discovery found 37 in the first few weeks using fleshbags like you and I. I'm pretty sure many many more candidates were found over it's lifetime. I've not looked for a while though.

Are yo sure your strap line is correct?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: EVE online Project Discovory

so a large collective of humans found 37 in a few weeks, an algorithm found 50 and is presumably continuing to look.

So yep.

2. gatheringclouds

Do humans play EVE anymore?

I thought it was all bots in supercarriers now. Which would make the headline correct!

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Are you sure your strap line is correct?

Considering I often can't find something when it's right in front of me, my personal opinion is yes.

[Does anyone else have the technique of pretending to use what you're looking for to improve your chance of finding it?]

1. TrickyRicky

That's called a pantrymime. Walking around making scissor-motions while looking for the scissors.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
          Happy

A name for it! Thank you.

3. NohSpam
    Black Helicopters

I never understood why Kepler detection was even a solution, mainly because of the tiny proportion of planetary planes of rotation actually intersecting with Earth to enable a measurement to be even attempted. If, as it seems, there are at least a measurable number of these instances, think how many planets there must be, assuming an even spread of random orientations!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like