back to article So... just 'Good' then? KFC pulls Finger Lickin' slogan while pandemic rumbles on

Savvy battered bird flinger KFC has made sure no one will forget its greasy wares during the coronavirus pandemic by ditching its Finger Lickin' slogan. Addressing fast food fans, a YouTube video published yesterday (below) implored: "That thing we always say? Ignore it. For now." The clip shows KFC packaging and advertising …

1. sanmigueelbeer
    Happy

Pull my finger ...

2. IGotOut Silver badge

You missed

Kan't Find the Chicken

1. Steve K

Re: You missed

Kan't F@ckin' Cook

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse

or Knuckles, Feathers and Claws

2. Mark 85
        Mushroom

Kan't F@ckin' Cook

I haven't done KFC in years. After the Colonel sold it, most of the time it was under cooked, sometimes raw, and that batter... best left untalked about. Horrible stuff. So I think yours is most appropriate.

Icon: Fire. Heat. Apparently they forgot about using it.

1. Hollerithevo

I stopped when I found out (1) I had high blood pressure (2) a single breast of FKC chicken was my total daily salt allowance.

2. Precordial thump Silver badge

Kid Fattening Centre

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    WTF?

Toxic Correctness

We are entering into an epoch when correct is not enough...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Toxic Correctness

It's worse than that - you don't have to be correct to be PC.

Being correct is hard - and rare - enough.

Being PC has little or no relationship to facts or truth. The C part of PC is just wishful thinking rationalization. Fixing a blame without doing anything to fix a problem is enough to quality for PC.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Toxic Correctness

And me thinking the C part comes from cunts c*nts.

4. UCAP Silver badge
    Joke

On the other hand, they may never speak to us again

Do you really believe that you are going to be that lucky???

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about "We give you the bird"?

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
      Flame

Surely explains their surly/lazy customer service, particularly how the locations are always running out of items, their menu isn't structured for a la carte, it always takes forever to get anything and items are often missing.

Bitter, me? No... (lights a torch and grabs a pitchfork)

6. Khaptain Silver badge

Stats

A récent survey found that 1 in 30 people thought that KFC was slightly better than dog shit.

1. Frederic Bloggs
      Unhappy

Re: Stats

For the record, I am one of the 29 that prefers dog shit. And I like that as much as my dog does.

2. druck Silver badge
      Coat

I'm pretty sick of the food bigots on here that every time KFC or McDonald's is mentioned feel the need to bleat on about how bad it is. No one is saying its the best food in the world, or suitable to eat every day, but a lot of people enjoy the occasional fast food meal. If you don't like it, just don't eat it, and STFU.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
        Go

Where I live we can have alternative for the same price so why bother with the fast food.. It's not always faster and it's definitely not always satisfying.

Personally I prefer Thai Bao rolls with duck or some Belgian fries with samurai sauce and a fricadelle or two.... All around the same price, pretty quick but far more satisfying...

1. skeptical i
          Meh

re: "we can have alternative for the same price"

Lucky you, Khaptain, and me too. But please spare a thought for people in the vast suburban generica who do not have easy access to downtown or whatever away-from-the-shiny part of town where the mom-and-pop shops and other local-made goodness blooms. There are teenagers who grew up thinking that the chain restaurants (Darden, Yum Brands, &c) are all there is. Not that all chains are bad, of course, but ... meh.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

> Where I live we can have alternative for the same price so why bother with the fast food

Well where I live, I'm fucked. I have either shitty hole-in-the-wall dives that serve hair-in-the-eggs and sweat-in-the-coke or I can go to a chain where at least corporate sets SOME sort of minimum standards.

That's what I get for moving to a town of less than 45K where I can drive around the whole place in 25 minutes.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
            Black Helicopters

Where I live there's an Indian takeaway open occasionally, or a 45 minute drive to somewhere with 'fast' food.

But then fast food isn't for when you're at home, so it's largely irrelevant. If I'm out in a town I may well succumb though.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

I'll bleat because KFC has very definitely got worse over time. The staff seem to lack any motivation whatsoever, routinely get the order wrong and couldn't give a flying F when something goes wrong. Staff in McDonalds are superstars by comparison.

I'm not a fast food fascist - I actually enjoy fried chicken, McDonalds, BK and their like. But KFC is dire...

3. Poncey McPonceface
        Happy

Jim Gaffigan on fast food snobs

JG: I reference McDonald’s a lot cause I go to McDonald’s. I love the silence that follows that statement. Like I just admitted to support dog fighting or something.

"How could you! McDonald’s?"

JG: It's fun telling people you go to McDonald’s. They always give you that look, like,

"Oh! I didn’t know I was better than you."

JG: No one admits to going to McDonald’s – they sell six billion hamburgers a day. There's only 300 million people in this country, it's like... I'm not a calculus teacher, but I think everyone’s lying.

etc. Very *very* funny imho, here's the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYKGFujJp6Y

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sick of the food bigots on here that every time KFC or McDonald's is mentioned feel the need to bleat on about how bad it is.

Well, KFC is pretty tasteless. Popeye;s spicy chicken is the only fast food worth eating.

5. Chz

I wouldn't rate KFC with McDonalds, for two reasons:

1 - Quality control. McD's is famous for this. A Big Mac is a Big Mac, everywhere. Franchisees who don't keep the standard are quickly disposed of. KFC is horrific for this. They can't even manage to keep their franchisees in line with 5 ratings for food safety. A McD's with a food safety rating of 3 is put into emergency measures, while it's quite normal for KFC.

2 - The actual food. See this is the thing, and it relates to the quality control. KFC, when it's good, is really, really good. Unfortunately, it's rarely so and frequently quite awful. McD's food is so-so, but at least consistently so.

Side note: I grew up in southern Ontario, where we had our own KFC. Officially known as "Scott's Chicken Villa" in tiny letters, but "Kentucky Fried Chicken" in giant ones, it was set up by Col. Sanders himself when he fled the States to Canada for tax reasons. We famously had the best KFC in North America because of it. Sadly merged back into the PepsiCo empire after the Colonel's death. When I visit home, I still miss when you could get a loaf of warm, buttered bread with your chicken.

7. zmxknveokb

What the cluck is this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about Medicinal Fried Chicken?

[Cartman - redacted] I'll f**kin' kill you! [remembers where he is] Uh sorry, sorry. I just, you know, when I've been waiting too long for the Colonel's chicken I get easily agitated. You're a f**kin' a***hole Kenny! Oh oh oh, sorry sorry. Oh here we are! Here we are!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How about Medicinal Fried Chicken?

Disciplining Cartman using KFC:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cartman+kentucky+fried+chicken+dog+whisperer&t=chromentp&atb=v185-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Du1rHLz_4IiI

1. Keven E

Re: How about Medicinal Fried Chicken?

However, Cartman is spot on about the gravy.

8. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

Different countries, different flavours

Its funny really, but I've eaten KFC in a few different countries and it tends to taste very different depending on the country, which is a little weird from a global supply chain.

Growing up in Australia, the KFC tasted great. And i had a friend who worked there and was more then happy to take the chicken home at the end of the shift to eat (my mates who worked at mcdonalds and hungry Jacks (Burger King), would not touch the stuff at their joints).

But having eaten KFC in Germany and the UK, I can honestly say its ... disgusting might be too strong a word, but not by much...

KFC - It's possibly, sometimes, Good!

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Different countries, different flavours

As I was told it, most of the variety in KFC is just down to frying temperature. With all frying, if the fat isn't hot enough when the food goes in, it doesn't crisp up immediately and the batter absorbs shedloads of grease.

It was suggested to me that many UK-based KFC branches let the fryers cool too much and don't wait till they're back up to temperature when the customers come in, and reuse the fryers too quickly when busy, meaning the cold chicken hitting the fat cools things back down to "greasy sponge" point again.

1. Teiwaz

As I was told it, most of the variety in KFC is just down to frying temperature.

First KFC franchise to open in my home town got closed rather quickly due to selling rather raw chicken (Kentucky Raw chicken?).

This was early 1990s. We had to wait another ten years for another to open.

I can hardly believe so many actually bothered to complain over a slogan they'd have heard for decades, and that during normal times they'd have logically realised was not meant to be taken too literally. Such people need to be noted. Any future police state, they'll be the first to report former friends and neighbours for anything.

2. beep54
        Happy

I'm lucky enough to live near a Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken (no, I've never worked there; I just like them). KFC is a glob of grease next to them. Gus's might be hard to find, but oh so good if you do.

3. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

Attention to detail is why our family prefers a small mom-and-pop shop with licensed/branded/trademarked Broaster Foods equipment and recipes. ("Broasted" chicken is pressure-fried; I'm not sure KFC's is.) They keep their whole fryer line ready at all times and their potatoes are amazing. Sure, it's greasy, so we don't get it often, but it's a decent price, the quality is steadily superb, and the service is friendly and courteous in a way fast food can't even come close to. (When we partook more often I swear the lady knew my voice ordering on the phone.)

4. chivo243 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Brilliant observation! Can't upvote you enough. Searing hot oil makes all the difference. I once worked in a kitchen that specialized in deep fried pizza dough.

I've seen the inside of couple of the US KFC kitchens, and they have plenty of fryers, (I don't think they could flash fry a buffalo) maybe franchises overseas have a lesser requirement?

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

Yes, but in Australia it's Kangaroo Feet and Claws.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In the UK it's usually Kentucky Fried Pigeon although there are documented instances of Kentucky Fried Rat.

2. lglethal Silver badge
        Trollface

It's Kangaroo? No wonder it tastes so damn good. I wonder how they change the meat from red to white?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I wonder how they change the meat from red to white?"

The ageing and refreezing cycle changes it all to grey.

3. Diogenes

There was a urban myth that Aussie KFC was allowed a % of 'chicken' to actually be rabbit. There were some mighty strange cuts doing the rounds in the early days,

4. Aussie Doc
        Pint

To be fair, roo meat's absolutely great. Goes great with one or two of these->

3. julian.smith
      Happy

If you were in Australia and KFC tasted better than dogshit - you need to get out more

Most Asian / Turkish greasy spoons are far superior

Get real mate

BTW if you need to broaden your culinary horizons try a MacRendang - Maccas Malaysian answer to dogshit

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Go

Grew up in the country and we are talking 25+ years ago. There was one asian restaurant (generic chinese), no turkish, lebanese, malay, thai or any of that sort of goodness. Couple of fish and chips shops and the fast food places. Not a great selection. I'd like to think that things have improved on the food front in Aus, but outside of the cities, I'm not so certain.

Still I havent lived in Oz in 15 years, so what would i know...

2. Diogenes

Nothing could be worse than the turkey "bacon" sold at Maccas in Singapore. Deep fried dogshit would taste better

9. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

KFC

It's Bucket Chuckin' Good.

10. Dave 144

It's fowl?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

It's Covid-Sickin' Good!

Or...

"If you inhale deeply over your bucket of chicken a few times, a thin coating of grease will coat your pulmonary system, providing protection against absorption of the coronavirus."

12. Mr Dogshit

"It's less chavvy than McDonald's"

13. Vincent Ballard
    IT Angle

Cinema tie-in

My strongest association with KFC is the time I saw Chicken Run at the cinema and the back of the ticket had a voucher for money off the Colonel's menu. It seemed somewhat inappropriate.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Cinema tie-in

Chicken Run at the cinema and the back of the ticket had a voucher for money off the Colonel's menu. It seemed somewhat inappropriate.

Yup!!, the farmers in the movie made chicken pie.

2. Zarno
      Pint

For sure, since they won't let you into most cineplexes with outside food and bev anyways, so you lost out on the chance to bring a bucket and enjoy the show..

I did once smuggle some rum balls into a LOTR movie when it was showing on the silver screen.

No, I don't remember which one, or much of the movie. I think it may have been the one where they forgot to remove a car from the theatrical release?

Beers, because that's a thing I can do at the house while watching a film.

1. SkippyBing

Cineworld are if not happy, perfectly accepting of you taking your own food in, even heard their MD or some such interviewed about it on the radio a few years ago. They also serve alcohol and have a much bigger screen than I do.

14. Billa Bong
    Pint

It's just me then...

All this hate for KFC, but for me it's like CMOT Dibblers merchandise... At times, I can't get enough...

1. Robert Moore
      Thumb Up

Re: It's just me then...

Me too.

It way too greasy, and far too expensive. But once in a while I NEED IT!

15. Robin

Nostalgia

"could encourage the spread of coronavirus"

I miss those good old days* when everyone happily went round licking other people's fingers in restaurants, door handles, metro handrails etc without any consequence.

1. julian.smith
      Paris Hilton

Re: Nostalgia

People licked a few other things in the good old days

YMMV

2. Zarno
      WTF?

Re: Nostalgia

There was also that one airhead that live-streamed licking an airplane loo seat...

Icon because that's the ONLY thing going through my mind when I try to contemplate that through the lens of 2020...

16. TeeCee Gold badge

How about;

"It's finger lickin'* good.

*and if you have a problem with that you're very sad and you can fuck off."

17. NullDev

Greasy McGreasy Face

18. carolinahomes

and another....

Kentucky's Fightin' Covid!

Covid can't survive when KFC's inside!

19. muddysteve

I love it.

There, I said it.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: I love it.

Don't worry, most of the people slagging them off to sound cool are probably surrounded by empty McD boxes and Dr. Pepper bottles.

20. disgruntled yank

Can't improve on the Colonel

Colonel Sanders himself described the corporate product as "damn fried doughball stuck on some chicken." I believe that KFC then took him to court.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Once and once only

Back when I was around 14, me and a couple of friends had been allowed to go on the bus to the big town (about 15 miles away) for a night out. I think there was a movie we all wanted to see or something. While waiting for the obligatory parent to arrive to drive us all home again (last bus home was about 8pm) we went into the newly opened and somewhat exotic KFC. (exotic to those of us who grew up outs in the sticks alongside the tress, sheep and cows)

I recall whilst eating it that it was the most disgusting thing I had ever tasted. About 5 minutes later I barffed it all up over the pavement. Then about 5 minutes later said parent duly arrived with me feeling a bit queasy.

That was 40 years ago (+/- a bit). I haven't touched the stuff since. Even the smell when passing one of their shops makes me want to barff.

22. wjake

Member of the Pentavirate!

"Ooh I hated the Colonel, with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face! Ohh you're gonna buy my chicken! Ooh! (Dad, how can you hate the Colonel?) Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly, smart ass!"

23. Androgynous Cow Herd

Mystery Chicken...

Not a KFC, but in my old sketchy neighborhood in San Leandro, CA...a local mom-n-pop chicken house got shut down for serving that famous San Leandro fried chicken,..

The daily special was four legs, no wings...

They did seem to have a handle on the feral cat problem, though.

24. RedneckMother

heard in the US in the 70s

Throw us a buck, and we'll flip you a bird.

25. Jeffrey Nonken

The last two times I went to our local KFC, the chicken was underdone.

Not sure that Covid is my greatest threat at KFC.

26. Mr. Moose
    Happy

"Try it: What The Hell Have You Got To Lose?"

I couldn't bring myself to say "It's Finger F****in' Good!".

It appears the Colonel invented pressure frying in order to get chicken cooked rapidly. My experiences with KFC (NY Metro area) haven't been bad.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Knowingly Foul Chicken

In the Philippines, KFC chicken is soggy and tired. Usually just across the road there's a Jollibee with infinitely superior chicken, and it's like the KFC staff know they're onto a loser and just don't care any more.

1. Pangasinan Philippines

Re: Knowingly Foul Chicken

Or, in the local SM Southmall, Kenny Rodgers chicken.

Whole chickens spinning over the flames!

28. skybat
    Happy

KFC or what?

Last night I was talking to a young, good looking woman.

She asked me if I liked breasts or legs.

I told her what I really liked was a shaved snatch.

Apparently I'm not welcome at KFC anymore!

1. Ken Shabby

Re: KFC or what?

Well, you do get a greasy box as well.

29. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

It's Toe Good...

It'll knock your socks off.

30. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

We've put our suggestions to KFC so await their response eagerly. On the other hand, they may never speak to us again. ®

That's gonna be a clucking shame.

31. JDX Gold badge

Good PR

Instant free publicity for KFC making a semi-joking CV concession to attract headlines.

Pretty smart. I wouldn't mind a couple of pieces after reading this...

32. hoola Silver badge

Finger lickin good

One assumes that the customers buying this are eating it with their fingers, it is not as though it is supplied with a nice plate, cutlery and and a serviette (not that a knife and fork is much use in this case).

Of course everyone will have used hand sanitiser on the way in, way out and before they eat it then you need some industrial strength cleaner to get the grease off at the end.

As someone else has said, it looks to be more of a PR stunt.

33. Piro Silver badge

Cluckin' Good

I Can't Believe It's Not Chicken

Grease 'n' Gristle

Cluck 'til you Chuck

34. BigSLitleP

If they are replaing "finger lickin", maybe they should use "we used to be".

There is a pancake place near where we live, they make savoury pancakes. Their "texas chicken" pancake is finger lickin good and we haven't touched KFC since finding them!

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to KFC! Home of the six-breasted, four-legged chicken. :)

36. Frank49

Keeping Fingers Clean!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon