back to article Unexpected Porthcawl in the borkage area: Riding an indoor Power Truck to nowhere

Blighty is re-opening after a good few months spent staring at the wall and wondering just how much ice-cream is too much ice-cream. Be warned, however, with a restart comes the prospect of unexpected Bork. megatrends bork Click to enlarge Today’s entry comes from Andy, a Register reader enjoying (“sort of,” he told us) a …

1. MJI Silver badge

Have you actually been there?

Look on map, "ooh a seaside town", not too far away, day trip time.

It is basically a Welsh version of Bream.

I think we stayed about 2 hours before we headed elsewhere.

Appears to the a giant static caravan storage area.

Stuck to Pembrokeshire afterwards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Have you actually been there?

My family comes from the area - well North Cornelly when we used to visit - but family legend had my grandfather growing up in the first house in Kenfig with electricity (might now be the clubhouse on the golfcourse). His story* was that in the 20s his dad used to charge the local kids to stick their fingers in the electric sockets while he turned it on....

*He had a reputation for embellishing stories and died years ago so have no way to verify now.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

OK, as a half-Welsh Flapper I'm probably not impartial, but I recall some great rock pools on the beach at Trecco bay.

Upvote for Pembrokeshire too. Any coastline that complicated deserves your support.

1. wyatt

Yep, we found loads in them! Wife managed to locate a crab, kids caught loads of little fish and shrimps.

1. DaGriff

I caught crabs in Porthcawl too.....

1. MyffyW Silver badge

(puts on best Nessa voice)

I knows. I'm not being funny Dave, but you're infested.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PC game makers take note. An arcade game on an AthlonXP.

I have an old computer that is struggling to run Windows 8/10 but this arcade game is using the same CPU.

If only games and O/S were highly optimised for the platform.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: The platform

This game may have been optimised for a specific CPU + Motherboard + Memory + Graphics Card with the added assumption that will not be attacked over the unconnected network connection and the user will not click on the attachment from the sexy girl excited to meet up for tea and scones with jam and cream. Other games may have to deal with whatever hardware they find and the OS has to clean up after the user downloads and installs pr0n viewer software.

2. Korev Silver badge
      Terminator

If only games and O/S were highly optimised for the platform.

They are optimised for the platform, only platform = console these days :(

3. Stuart Castle Silver badge

I follow a few companies who restore old arcade games on YouTube. The pc based arcade games tend to have very tightly defined specs (in some cases even limited to a specific revision of given hardware items). Thus the software can be much better optimised than on a standard pc, where it might have to cope with tens of millions of combinations of hardware.

4. Blackjack Silver badge

A light version of Linux plus emulators might be what you want.

3. wyatt

Chuckle, I was there last week..! As with any location, it has its good and bad points.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

The Good is that there are plenty of exit roads. The Bad is everything else?

(Just joking - I mean I have no idea if there are plenty of exit roads...)

1. MJI Silver badge

One main road in and out to M4.

My advice, keep going, then turn off for Gower or keep going for Pembrokeshire.

4. 9Rune5
    Pint

Nice little error code you got there

And good luck googling your way out of that one. My googlefu was certainly not sufficient to find any authoritative answers.

I'm guessing the CMOS setup experienced a power failure and needs to be reconfigured.

Or somebody forgot to plug in the keyboard. :) Always a classic.

Either way, here's to nonsensical error codes and the people who write them. (see icon)

1. GrumpenKraut
      Holmes

Re: Nice little error code you got there

> I'm guessing the CMOS setup experienced a power failure and needs to be reconfigured.

Old system, BIOS battery almost dead, disconnected from power long enough, BIOS settings lost. Just guessing, but I have seen that exact scenario plenty of times.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Yeah, you have to change the battery then make sure nothing else, like the hard disk is damaged..Then you configure the BIOS again.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Had that CMOS battery fail problem on a £30k spectrum analyser that, of course, has an embedded XP machine to make it work :(

5. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Early Arcade Games

Still, the presence of video game arcades reminds us of times gone by, when 10p coins ruled the roost and games needing graphics cards costing more than the price of a week away in Wales

I can remember the very early arcade games introduced colour by having fixed coloured bands running across the screen.

1. waldo kitty
      Boffin

Re: Early Arcade Games

I can remember the very early arcade games introduced colour by having fixed coloured bands running across the screen.

yep! green on the bottom for grass and blue up top for sky... i remember those days :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon