back to article Microsoft nudges latest TypeScript iteration out onto the mean streets of JavaScript

The TypeScript team has released version 4 of the JavaScript superset to General Availability. Beloved by those who like a stronger bit of typing in their JavaScript lives, the release brings variadic tuple types and labelled tuple elements. It also supports a new ECMAScript feature to add three new assignment operators …

1. Anon

SQRL!

I'm not sure how reliable that Stack Overflow survey is, seeing as they forgot about VB.NET.

Mind you, it seems Microsoft might be forgetting about VB.NET too.

1. Tom Chiverton 1
      Happy

Re: SQRL!

Do you mean VB.Net Core or Core VB.Net or VB.Net Classic ?

2. J27

I was shocked when they announched VB.NET Core. VB is basically dead, as is it's just C# but without half the features. It's easy to move your code forward though. Automated VB => C# conversion can be done by an automated parser very quickly.

1. B83
        Stop

VB is Dead, did say Dead, how dare you!..................................That's the view point of some of my colleagues, not me.

The company I am working for has heavily used VB and if you try and get some of the developers to move, 'oh boy' you are in for some stick. They refuse to learn C# and they know they can get away with it because of all the legacy VB that needs to be maintained. The legacy works so its not getting replaced anytime soon, just long enough for them to get their pensions (fair enough).

My place is no different from any other place i.e. legacy, it just irritating when people dont want to move on and just get stuck in the past, which will probably be me in ten years time(haha, I hope bloody not!).

At the moment its a 'them v us situation', in my workplace, the pimply faced youth C# developers (all of them over 30, married with kids) and the senior VB developers (all of them nearing, or have hit, 50+). When a new project is announced they will insist on writing VB if the project goes anywhere near legacy. Eventually the tide will turn but its a pain in the arse, not all the time, but they seem to have the power.

Oh, there was a VB 6 job advertised for somewhere in Wakefield, anyone who wants to get back into VB6 have a sniff around.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"those cursed to support old versions of Internet Explorer and Safari"

That would be enterprise-internal stuff and they won't update anyway, it's been ages since you cannot update anything IE6-related because that will just end the application.

On the web these days, the mantra is Use An Up To Date Browser, so it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More ingredients added to the fetid soup of web development

How anyone can bare to work in webdev beats me. Talk about a lashup of disparate parts and then some.

1. RM Myers
      Headmaster

"How anyone can bare to work in webdev beats me."

It's easy now that most developers work from home. Just make sure your webcam is not on, take off your clothes, and start pounding out the web code.

However, I can barely bear the thought of some web developers going bare, since they look like a member of the family Ursidae.

1. Rob Gr

Re: "How anyone can bare to work in webdev beats me."

"However, I can barely bear the thought of some web developers going bare, since they look like a member of the family Ursidae."

Bear with me a second.

2. Efer Brick

Re: "How anyone can bare to work in webdev beats me."

As long as you stick to the bear necessities and not the faux leather chair

4. stuartd

Below FoxPro in TIOBE? Wow.

(Disclaimer: FoxPro all the way through for 10 years, up till 2005. Never since.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like