back to article FCC: Remember that confidential paperwork you gave us, China Telecom? Yeah, well, we're handing it over to the Feds

America's comms watchdog will hand over confidential documents on China Telecom to US government officials probing the state-owned communications giant and its operations in the Land of the Free. Since at least as far back as 2002, China Telecom's American subsidiary has been authorized by Uncle Sam to provide international …

1. Fazal Majid

Er, the FCC *are* Feds

The F stands for Federal

2. Neoc

"...the FCC has warned the Chinese giant, in a written notice [PDF] this week, that it will give that supposedly private information to Uncle Sam's prosecutors."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the sort of thing US.gov is accusing the various chinese telecom/manufacturers of potentially doing? A confidential piece of information given to one agency (or company) being demanded by the government. Chinese or US, I see the same over-bearing pattern.

1. ExampleOne

They are judging everyone else by their own low standards.

This has been fairly clear from the start with the stream of innuendo a d the complete lack of any evidence other than "they might..."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why would any government do any different? A foreign entity is under investigation and the relevant branches share the information they get.

It would be foolish to think otherwise.

3. julian.smith
    Mushroom

The swamp is not the high ground

The (Disunited, covid-ridden) States of America reveals it's exceptionalism

Trumpistan would never demand secret access to communications .... (cough) Cisco .. it's not a bug, it's a feature

Good luck in November

We're not laughing with you .... we're laughing at you.

1. stiine Silver badge

Re: The swamp is not the high ground

Was Trump president when the Cisco hardware was intercepted?

1. julian.smith
        Black Helicopters

Re: The swamp is not the high ground

No, fortunately

But backdoors and covering them up is an area where the (Disunited) States is still Great

4. EnviableOne

SS7

I Suppose the cheeto in chief and his cronies are too dumb to know that as china are part of the international telephone network, they can exploit the protocol to re-route calls in the US even if they arent operating there.

1. Neoc

Re: SS7

They'd never do that. And the number of times internet traffic was accidentally re-routed through China was not test-runs in any way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like