back to article Nominet promises .uk owners it'll listen to feedback on plan to award itself millions... as long as it agrees with it

UK internet registry operator Nominet has responded to criticism of its plan to overhaul the distribution of expiring .uk domains by promising to listen to feedback… and then immediately refused to accept a petition calling for the plan to be scrapped. At a testy online roundtable between Nominet’s staff and members at one of …

1. Mark192

Self serving [redacted].

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Not to mention self serving profits.

Can't have that golden shower interrupted.

2. Dacarlo
    Thumb Down

FTFY

“In the end, I know our ultimate decisions are unlikely to satisfy anyone,” Bradley wrote.

1. Psmo

Re: FTFY

I dare say the board and the board's various fund managers are satisfied. Who else is there?

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

Does absolute power corrupt?

Or is it simply that once you have absolute power you can demonstrate with impunity how corrupt you always were?

1. Psmo
      Mushroom

Re: Does absolute power corrupt?

Probably. That's depressing.

4. Big_Boomer Silver badge

No longer fit for purpose

Sounds to me like Nominet has outlived it's usefulness and that UK domain registrations need to be passed to a company more fit for purpose. Seems like everywhere you look these days someone is lying, cheating, deceiving and conspiring just so they can squirrel money away in their offshore bank accounts.

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account
      Unhappy

Re: No longer fit for purpose

That pretty much sums up the Internet these days.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: No longer fit for purpose

The ultimate owner of the .uk namespace is the UK government, NOT Nominet - and nominet is only entrusted to operate it as a steward

The question is, Do you want operation of the .uk namespace to be picked up by a government department?

5. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

If its a member based organisation, when is the next election for the board? And why arent the normal members already starting the campaign to remove every person currently on the board?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I think they screwed that option fairly early on otherwise they'd already have been turfed out.

2. David Nash Silver badge

Sounds like they are not "members" in the usual sense, if they are pretty much powerless in this regard, as it seems.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Nominet is copying ICANN

"the board has stopped publishing minutes and reports, and refuses to break out the different businesses in financial reports "

I just checked out Nominet's Board page and found that, apart from the two youngest members (who apparently haven't had the time yet), all of them are affiliated with PwC, ICANN or HP. Most of the oldest are also on other boards.

Obviously, they have forgotten the job they are supposed to do, and decided that, like ICANN, they have a structure and a market at their disposal, and they are going to make the most of it.

This is the UK, obviously, but I wonder how many of these sleazebags would be Republicans of it were the USA.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: Nominet is copying ICANN

Because the Clintons are as pure as the wind-driven snow?

You just _had_ to make this political, didn't you? Endemic corruption is endemic. It's not a partisan thing on your side or on ours.

1. Hollerithevo

Re: Nominet is copying ICANN

When was a Clinton last a president? We are talking two decades FFS. And Clinton as Senator: one senator. So how 2 x Clintons = all Republicans makes sense I do not know.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it going to do one of those 'consultations' where 99.9% of the responses indicate they would prefer it not do something, which it then does anyway except claims it has 'listened to feedback'?

1. Anonymous Coward
    2. X5-332960073452
      Unhappy

The Ajit Pai methodology.

8. MudFever

Looks like they've been reading the lessons learned from the Internet Society dot-ORG sell-off fiasco to Ethos Capital in the US.

1. Psmo
      Thumb Up

If they follow it right through to the climb-down that would be great.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tax?

Perhaps the Government should step in with a special tax - all the excess revenue from auctions beyond the £4 fee goes to the Exchequer?

That way the UK benefits from a UK resource, denying both Nominet and registrars a get-rich-quick scheme on the back of domains that have value by virtue of being a nice ordering of letters.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Robert Grant

Re: Tax?

Ofwat sets the water price. The companies then try and be efficient within that.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

But they remain monopoly suppliers. Would be better to adopt the open access model so that more effort would be spent on improving the pipes rather than squeezing costs.

2. Tony Mudd

I thought they were bringing in choice of water supplier, but it looks like that's only for business users.

I was looking forward to selecting which company received my "waste water".

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Forget tax, it will just wind up being passed out into the usual pork barrel. How about everything beyond the £4 fee goes direct to an independent charity?

1. Cynic_999

"

How about everything beyond the £4 fee goes direct to an independent charity?

"

You mean such as the ones where the charity's CEO is on a 6-figure salary?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

> You mean such as the ones where the charity's CEO is on a 6-figure salary?

Example: nearly every speed camera "charity" in the UK (and guess how they get that money?)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

promising to listen to feedback…

they promised, they listened, they ignored, what's new? Fairly common in some fields (politics always comes to mind as the first example), where those who promise, listen and ignore are PERFECTLY AWARE they're not accountable, and the whole exercise is simply one of many everyday irrelevant steps called "social interaction" (handshakes, smiles and howareyous, etc.) that's supposed to demonstrate how friendly and "engaging" we are.

Which is not to say such hypocrisy should be ignored. But, back to the matter - is nominet accountable?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: promising to listen to feedback…

Politicians are eventually accountable. They face regular elections. As well as getting shouted at a lot in various places.

I suspect the Nominet board have managed the situation so that they are now only accountable to themselves, rather like ICANN. So the bonuses can just keep on rolling in.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Politicians are eventually accountable.

I think the problem is that the "eventually" becomes "never", as the election span is much longer than voters' memory. Or rather, politicians' major and minor failures become the new normal. I mean, (where are the snows of yesterday), every single figure from the current gov would have been out of their jobs in the goode olde days. Not because of their incompetence, but because their incompetence is out in the open. Nowadays - so what?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When Nominet said they would listen to YOU....

What nobody noticed is that they were pointing at the guy in the corner, holding a brief case bulging with hard currency!

12. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Devil

To Serve Us All Its Days

Bradley wrote. “But I am confident that by inviting as many inputs to our thinking as possible to inform how we evolve the .UK domain will ensure it continues to best serve those who rely on it.”

It's a fucking domain. People rent it by the year to route their websites. What other way does it 'serve' users ?

13. Alan Brown Silver badge

Echoes of DOMAINZ

For those with long memories.....

14. cipnt

What a joke

55 votes to an open consultation is embarrassing when you have 100+ member opposing it by petition.

If Nominet wants change, let's start with their wasteful finances and their CEO's ridiculous £639.5k (10 % of total annual salaries at Nominet)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like