back to article Microsoft adds 'Here's what we may have broken' screen to Windows 10 Insider PCs

While eyes were on its new phone, Microsoft slipped out a pair of updates to the Insider version of Windows 10. The Beta Channel (formerly known as the Slow Ring) received a round of security updates as well as a UWP authentication fix for the 20H2 release of the operating system (due at some point in the back half of 2020). …

1. DJV Silver badge

"Assuming, of course, the thing still boots – this is preview code after all."

Given that normal users are the beta testers nowadays, this applies to the non-insider versions of W10 as well...

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Re: "Assuming, of course, the thing still boots – this is preview code after all."

Agreed. They also don't seem to listen to their "insiders" when they say they don't like something. For example I can't imagine the insiders ever say "rape us more with your telemetry Microsoft. We love it!".

The insiders scheme is purely so Microsoft can see what non-ethical crap they can get away with before enough people moan. If it doesn't get noticed right away, they ship it to the rest of the plebs.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

4MB Ram!

I get bigger emails than that!

By the time Windows ME was released it had mysteriously increased to 32MB. As it was pretty much the same OS, I guess they'd decided to start telling the truth.

3. all ears

I think that word does not mean what you think it means

Microsoft's new "features," as usual, are more about customer lockin and revenue generation than what I would regard as improvements to the OS. And apparently most users agree with me, which is why MS wants to push them into your face.

MS would be thrilled to make Windows into a smart TV, where users simply consume content, and occasionally click the "buy" button.

4. iron Silver badge

> it could be made to work on an Intel 80386-powered PC with 4MB of RAM

As someone who owned a non-Intel 386 with 4MB of RAM in 1995 I disagree. Such machines were much better off sticking with Win 3.1.

I still have that 4MB of RAM and the 4x 256K sticks that it replaced. It's always fun to show to younger colleagues who think anything less than 16GB is unusable.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 says: "Things We may have broken.."

#Your privavcy

#Your Spirit

#Your Freedom

#Your budget

#Your Desktop

#Your security

6. VicMortimer Silver badge
    Big Brother

You think that makes us feel old?

I mean, sure, we joke about Windoze 95 = Mac '87. But the reality is that by 1987 the Mac was so far past what M$ was doing in '95 that it wasn't really a serious comparison.

It's only in the last few years that they've even started to catch up.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Mac now is unrelated to Mac back then.

I think you'll find that Windows was ahead when it came to multi-tasking too.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

And Linux was designed for multi-tasking from the start.

As with most aspects of computing it blows Windows out of the water.

2. Sanguma
        Facepalm

Windows could multitask back then - somewhat. General Protection Fault was already ready and waiting in the background to take the money and run ...

Admittedly the Mac could multitask equally as badly by then - which isn't saying much at all. System 7 was a pain in unmentionables ...

7. simonlb Silver badge
    FAIL

Start Menu?

Oh yes, I remember that. Was very useful until they completely fucked it up after Win7.

8. nagyeger
    Linux

1995, the year of linux on the desktop!

I think that's around the last time I was regularly booting windows for real work(TM), anyway.

Or as I probably said to win95 users: "You've got preemptive multitasking, finally? When are you expecting to get real symbolic links and filesystem permissions?"

9. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

High security

Was that the OS where security could be bypassed with the Escape key?

10. Sanguma

the operating system kind of did away with the separate MS-DOS on which its predecessors tottered

Andrew Schulman's Unauthorized Windows 95 is the authoritative source on information on the relationship of MS DOS 7 and MS Windows 95, and yes, the DOS intx-Win16/Win32 thunking every now and then crashed or froze the computer, just not nearly as often as with MS Windows 3.x. I muxh preferred IBM OS/2 and SLS and Slackware Linux - later moving to Mandrake since it had KDE and I was needed to help maintain a community cybercaf running the blessed MS Windows 9.x, and the similarity of the Win32 and KDE desktops' appearance meant less time thinking, "Now where does that go? Where do I find this or that?"

11. willi0000000

i remember, back in the day . . . wait a second . . . sorry i don't actually remember.

[ i is an old ]

12. steviebuk Silver badge

WIn95

This always (possibly a bit sad to say) brings a tear to my eyes. Just found this the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okt9GcWiWmE

As we were stuck with a 386sx for years because we couldn't afford anything better. Then the next machine we got were were able to get Windows 95 for it and most amazing of all, it had a sound card. This was the first video and sound I came across and it brings back nostalgic memories.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like