back to article Where there's a .mil, there's Huawei: Pentagon allowed to keep using Chinese tech deemed too dangerous for everyone else – report

The crackdown on telecoms gear from Huawei and other Chinese companies in federal networks will not apply to US Department of Defense, at least for a few more weeks. Under Section 889 of the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act, US agencies and the contractors they employ were supposed to stop having any dealings with five …

1. Mintyboy
    Coat

1 rule for ..... mines the one with the 5G Huawei Tower / Router / Dongle in the pocket

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Big Deal

The big deal is a Pentagon program that slipped by only a few weeks.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Big Deal

Yeah, but it was supposed to be a half day job for one guy!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

"That hasn't however, stopped the US and other nations . . ."

I think you meant "the US and other client states . . ."

Just another example of one rule for me and my friends, another rule for the plebs.

1. Brian Miller

Re: "That hasn't however, stopped the US and other nations . . ."

No, it's not a matter of rules, it's a matter of them getting off their lazy butts and doing what they're told. Yes, of course their IT budget has run out, it's why they bought cheap buggy kit rather than expensive buggy kit in the first place.

1. Kabukiwookie

The US military's budget has run out? You must be daft, just unobservant or a chest thumping USian (or all of the above).

The US' military budget is larger than the next 8 countries combined. It has not been able to account for some $21 trillion (look it up).

No money? They're the ONLY government branche that gets more than enough money to operate. Everything else, from public education to infrastructure and other public services are falling apart.

https://www.quora.com/What-percent-of-the-U-S-federal-budget-goes-to-the-military

1. Efer Brick

The budget things that go kablewie is still there, things that go beep, not so much.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"it has not been able to account for some $21 trillion"

That was adjustments, i.e., the value/charge an item was logged at, but in reality is this. It is the summation of the total amount of adjustments, so something was over valued by $1T, that's $1T on that list, something is under valued by $1T, that's another $1T, so now that adjustment count is at $2T even though they cancelled each other out.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

A trillion here, a trillion there, pretty soon you're talking real money...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The thing is, within the time period that 21T that is 'unaccounted' for, their total funded didn't come to 21T.

it just shows (for what ever reasons, intentional or not), that they have piss poor book keeping. That spending booked deviated (either way) over the total funding that they had.

3. Brian Miller

Sorry for reality, but I was in Signal Corp. We never got the massive funding. The radios I trained on were from WW2, and were in current operation and deployment. The satellite equipment was 1970s prototype crap. The most advanced equipment I used was used gear from AT&T. Seriously, they sold their 1960's transmitters to the US Army, and it was a big upgrade.

Communications infrastructure being state of the art? Hardly. DOD bought crap because they could only afford crap. If Trump wants Chinese comms out of the network, he can push the budget to do it.

You can shove your head in statistics and in the sand, but don't try to bullshit me, who was trained on equipment that was built 40 years before I enlisted.

1. Tom 7

I think your mistake was assuming that because the military in the US got the money that somehow meant you would get equipment at ground level. Its a very naive viewpoint to hold these days.

2. fajensen
            Pint

Trump wants Chinese comms out of the network, he can push the budget to do it.

But ... that would be Work. The Donald doesn't do Work, it's demeaning!

4. Boo Radley

The US government fiscal year ends on September 30, when I worked for the federal government we usually ran out of money for capex around August. Then, come October 1, we had plenty of money to spend. I assume that the military uses the same fiscal year, so they might not have money right this minute.

5. Mike Moyle

THAT money is for planes/tanks/missiles/ships built by generous campaign donors or stationed in various congressional home districts. Comms gear/base /infrastructure/family housing/schools/medical services (VA) doesn't see the big numbers and have to beg for the scraps.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Unhappy

I actually think it's a bit of both...

"One rule for me, another for thee"

and

"lazy stinking bureaucrats"

Probably the most accurate model. it describes MOST of gummint these days...

(sadly - see icon)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, let me get this straight

At civilian level it all gets stripped out but EXACTLY where it would matter (if it were true, which I doubt) they leave it in place?

Boy, they don't even BOTHER to pretend anymore, do they?

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: So, let me get this straight

Department of Defense has been granted a short-term waiver from the blockade until September 30.

Keeping up appearances an all that... you know!

And on September 30, they ask for another extension, and provide plenty of excuses as to why it didn't get done.

They pretend now because of the current business\political relationship with China. If they can wait it out until say ~ January when the new regime takes over, it may be a moot point. Someone will hit CTL Z and undo the stupid things that have been done in the last 4 years

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Unhappy

Sorry to add to my own reply, but one must always remember the military is its own entity, and will survive as they always have, regardless of the current political leader, they will always looking out for themselves.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Sorry to add to my own reply, but one must always remember the military is its own entity, and will survive as they always have, regardless of the current political leader, they will always looking out for themselves. .... chivo243

Imagining and realising the military is as just another client to offer overwhelming business opportunities to, .... and one that can have themselves looked out for,..... has all nation states and any wannabe lone tinpot star non-state actors systemically vulnerable to exploitation from within novel AI developments. And such is apparently of grave global security concern if one is to believe all of the hyperventilating hype being given to problems being admitted persist in a defensive preemptive strike attacking arsenal which does not exist in Currently Earthed SCADA Systems, that is, at least not existing for normal human leverage and activation.

It is though not all doom and gloom for there are just as many, if not considerably more future treats readily available, as there are present persistent active cyber threats to investigate and try render ineffective and phantom, with the following submission being just the tip of one of those titanic icebergs ......

amanfromMars [2008151623] ....... just saying about elsewhere commenting on https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/heres-why-impossible-economic-collapse-unavoidable

Here's some evidence in defence and agreement with the proposition ..... a whole new ball game is in play. .......

2008151502 ..... having a chat on https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2020/8/10/lawmakers-want-more-ai-for-military

A current quantum communication running use case of artificial intelligence capabilities that support efforts to improve the department’s “back office” business processes and systems.  ...... a ripe plum investment opportunity for/with DOD leverage virtually guaranteed in Leading Future Programs. Universal Presentations. ........ https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2020/08/14/aws_braket_quantum_cloud/#c_4090092

Thank you. Your comment will be displayed soon after reviewing.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

cc Pentagon Fancy Bears/MOD Stone Panda types

Re: "on the lookout for pilots in the Alien Air Force. ......a potential adversary may have achieved breakthrough aerospace capabilities that could put United States strategic or conventional forces at risk.” ........ Pentagon Stands Up Task Force ..

Far be it from me to suggest that may have achieved breakthrough is yesterday's so conservatively speculative paranoid news, however ....... there are massive fortunes to be made and recurring government grants to be won by anyone able to supply and manage such risky frisky breakthrough sources. And that makes them most attractive to that and/or those enabled to stealthily consistently deliver leading competitive edges and hedges against any relatively effective opposition.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Someone will hit CTL Z and undo the stupid things that have been done in the last 4 years"

I know Trump promised to reverse *everything* Obama did, and he's really tried his best to keep that promise, but it seems much of what Trump has done genuinely and desperately NEEDS to be reversed.

3. veti Silver badge

Don't get your hopes up. Even if Biden wins, he won't try to reverse everything Trump has done. Just as Obama didn't undo Bush's follies, such as creating the DHS and fingerprinting incoming travellers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's going to get embarrassing for Johnson.

It's going to get embarrassing for Boris Johnson, if the next American administration removes the Huawei sanctions.

The distant echo of the words "Taking back control"...

Are the Pentagon stalling because they doubt Trump's chances of a second term?

Why change things now, when in a few months, using Huawei equipment will be all fine again, is probably the thinking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's going to get embarrassing for Johnson.

It might be embarassing for Boris but not out of character - making the wrong decisions is what he's good at.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's going to get embarrassing for Johnson.

I don't believe Boris Johnson has the ability to be embarrassed.

However, Boris Johnson is going to be quite surprised when he and The Dom are ceremoniously thrown from a window and into the street (the floor of which still awaiting a committee decision).

"The Old Ones" are fixing to pin everything that has gone wrong all the way till post Brexit on him and The Dom. The Dom knows and is fixing to ooze out from under the hammer, De Pfeffle - is busy doing whatever worked for him so far so it will be a total surprise.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you mean the ban on huawei might not actually be anything to do with security after all?

shocked_pikachu.jpg

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I even did not read the articel yet, but my opinion on U$A's stance is that they will always want you to know that they as the one and only ever and first used a nuclear weapon, TWICE. And they feel they are the only ones entitled to it's use. And dito for all the rest of the tactics they use to implement a strong, structural strategy of narcissistic egoïsm. And this was the case already before plump became the president in name. He's not even an acting president.

7. Sanguma

toes aren't controlled drugs

let the Pentagon taste its toes for just that little longer, puleeeeezzzzeeeeee!!!!!!!

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It sounds like the whole thing was just business as usual: act first, plan later.

1. Tom 7

Those last two words are never going to happen.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Trollface

Hey hey hey!! We have a plan in place to create an action to create a schedule that will allow us to action a plan to schedule the creation of a plan to plan for the scheduled action of performing the schedule action at a time and place as defined by the aforementioned scheduled action plan.

As you can see we take planning very seriously. And scheduling...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Backdoors -- the ACTUAL flavour matters......

....the Cisco Systems flavour is yummy and perfectly wonderful at NSA Central......

.....other flavours....not so much!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Backdoors -- user flavour content...

@AC -- Backdoors, etc.

On the general subject of backdoors, there's the unfortunate fact that users can use private encryption before their messages get into the channel.

The result is that the spooks, whoever they are, end up looking at something like this.

Welcome to user controlled computing....as compared with Signal, or WhatsApp, or Cisco!....or even Huawei!

15Dv04Iy1Q$60fiR0ZYB0BU210f60jZP1TVt0Aim

09pa06=d0HaS18ng0yAw19QQ0Tgd0lQo0SMv0zJm

0Ib11ItP0D4k1WSO1K3h1Qvb0bHY1juT0AXo170Y

0chC0jIw0TPu1HIg1mja0HM31h1j0A8x0u8d0f74

08L70KdQ0S8d0nml1Kvp0nVu1XAE0ny71g9R0rA7

0lwl1O=91LwW02=x0SiO16$C1KPU1AIz0TIm1gHP

19yC11MH1TYO1NGB1DFj0uia0NPu0v5E11DV1KvX

0ZRK06Yf1FjQ0YtG0Q3908KU1epk15wA0oZp1cW6

0GDd0cEv1PBl1mx504Db0Lnj1a$m1ARn1kLQ0eS8

0=2I1JDy1GD31PVS0y430xrA0ypw0pMM1URy0Kxl

0pkk1gEw01p31Cft06Gj167P1aC=00Bi0wup0RFG

0C8k05bs0RZg1NYr18l80shW1BQo0bkJ1gal0RRA

1Pwd1WDQ1Mof1Vqa1j=j16Xk0tIp0fl50msq1UvZ

0siD02Q31dOm1c0J1K3Q1BE40bhA1WcQ0sip0P=d

13TR0Zem08SJ08iL

1. Tom 7

Re: Backdoors -- user flavour content...

Ooh you are awful! But I like you!

11. Adam 1

Can we just appreciate that headline for 30 seconds? Bravo, well played.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like