back to article Vivaldi composes sweet ad-blocking symphony for users of browser's Android version

Oslo-based Vivaldi has released an update to its Android browser replete with additional weaponry for the ongoing Tracker and Ad Blocker arms race. Version 3.2 for Android devices (an iOS version is apparently in the pipeline) ups the ante by allowing users to select additional blocking lists as well as including custom lists …

1. pip25
    Thumb Up

Just in time, too

Mozilla managed to ruin Firefox on Android as well by allowing a grand total of 9 extensions, and the only ad blocker among them didn't work too well for me.

So I switched to Vivaldi, and while I miss the extensions here also, at least the built-in features, including the ad blocker work well and the UI is pretty decent.

1. eionmac

Re: Just in time, too

Umn! I have 4 add-ons, NoScript, Ghostery, uBlock Origin, all blocking trackers, on Firefox in Android. An old version of Android at that, as it is a hand-me-down phone. Another is to ensure https sites only.

1. pip25

Did you upgrade to the latest version, with the new UI? If so, and all your extensions still work, you're insanely lucky. If not, then I suggest you skip the update for now.

2. logicalextreme

I love the desktop Vivaldi to bits, but I haven't gotten on board with the mobile browser. In fact I haven't really gotten on board with any mobile browser since Opera Mini waaaay back in the day. I'll be checking it out again though for the adblocker until I finally take the plunge and root this phone now it's out of warranty.

1. Pangasinan Philippines

I want to go with Vivaldi on Desktop, but can't find a way to import Speed Dial from Opera.

1. PeeKay

> can't find a way to import Speed Dial from Opera

Isn't speed dial just another folder in your bookmarks? You should be able to export to html and import from there.

2. Steve Graham

I use Vivaldi on Linux all the time too, but for Android, I use Kiwi. It supports Chrome extensions, therefore I can run Ublock Origin, ScriptSafe and Privacy Badger.

2. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

> "free up precious screen space"

And that's what I fucking hate about phones - no matter how large the screens are the UI is dinky by design and far too limiting in options. There's no room! Consequently everything has to be hidden away within layer upon confusing layer of submenus. "Smart" phones are crap.

3. Lee D Silver badge

As someone who just transferred 20 years of old complete email accounts out of my old Opera 12 onto a shiny new Windows laptop, is the mail client dead still? Despite the fact that they accidentally showed IT WAS IN THE SOFTWARE AND WORKED when it leaked out once?

Because I use Vivaldi but don't really care about most of it (the best thing is that I can re-map keys so that new tab is Ctrl-N and not Ctrl-T) - but I'm still desperate to find a mail client that's actually usable in the modern age. That Opera 12 is still my client of choice is very telling.

Otherwise, Vivaldi is just Chromium with some knobs on to let you have start screens and themes and stuff I never use.

They've changed the icon at least four times to my knowledge, and each time announce it like it's some amazing top-of-changelog item.

And they've recreated every one of Opera's classic problems - "we must change the user agent so people are aware Vivaldi exists" followed by a hasty (and so predictable that even I called it) retraction when they realise that sites still just break if they don't know what your browser is based on, then trying to suck all my data into unrelated cloud services, etc.

I don't use the mobile browser, I see no reason, but the desktop version is convenient as it's basically Chrome, with Chrome extensions, but stored in an entirely separate profile so it doesn't interfere with Chrome proper. It's like a giant version of incognito that I can use Chrome for home and Vivaldi for work, and they both work and do everything but are both unrelated.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like