back to article Microsoft spills beans on release, pricing for folding fancyphone: Start your Surface Duo engines now

After months of teasing the faithful with smug pics of its latest blower in the hands of various veeps, Microsoft whipped the covers off the Surface Duo and confirmed the date and price of the folding fancyphone. Shipping 10 September, you can expect to pay $1,399 for the Surface Duo, with its 360-degree hinge and (if the …

1. Nosher

I thought summer _was_ the holiday season

1. big_D Silver badge

It is here, a lot of companies close down for the summer break.

Christmas on the other hand is when I like to be in the office, it is quiet and no family arguing over which reality TV show to watch.

2. iron Silver badge
    Headmaster

> what looks for all the world like a default Google search bar

Well they could hardly put a Bing search bar there if they want to actually sell any devices since Google forces OEMs to include Google search on the first home screen if they want Play, etc. See all the articles you've written about how Huwawei are screwed because they don;t have Play now.

> Microsoft was also been keen to emphasise

Btw D- for this article, that grammar is shocking. I think you meant 'has also been'.

1. JDPower Bronze badge

Standard for any modern writers nowadays, proof reading is a thing of the past, all they look for is the red line under spelling mistakes, fix them and publish.

1. RM Myers
        Unhappy

I'm not going to throw the first stone on this. Many years ago, when writing and negotiating contracts was my job, I became very good at actually reading what was written, not what I had intended to write. That is the very heart of good proofreading, and why it is easier to proofread other people's writing. Any more, it seems like every time I reread something I've written in the past, I find errors that were missed on my original proofread. Very embarrassing!

2. Julz

Move fast and make mistakes?

3. Khaptain Silver badge

I want one but can it replace a secondary, tertiary device, or even both

They look great, I would like to think that they work just as well ( albeit it is an "alpha" series device)..

As the title says I would love one of these if it could replace the Telephone and Tablet in my bag... a Huawei Mate P20 Pro , and a Huawei Media Pad Lite 10." both of which I really like using .... Now if it could honestly replace both devices that would be a fine device to own.

4. Kubla Cant

Why would anyone trust Microsoft to supply a phone?

Some years ago Mrs Cant bought a NokiaMicrosoft phone running Windows. She loved it, but there were never any software updates, then Microsoft decided it wasn't in the phone business, sold the company, and discontinued the operating system. She kept on using it until the accumulated faults made it impossible, at which point we bought a Samsung.

I see no reason to repeat this experience.

1. aje21
      Joke

Re: Why would anyone trust Microsoft to supply a phone?

Does that include buying a Samsung?

1. X5-332960073452

That's not a joke - Android One for the win !!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It'll be different this time, it'll be Microsoft's realising it doesn't know what to do with mobile phones about 10 days after launching one (par for the course) but this time it'll have Google's slurping too.

3. Graham Lockley

Yeah I was one of those sad sacks who thought MS/Nokia had a good product that just needed a little more work/enthusiasm. Sadly it went the way of my other favourite phone (Palm Pre) and withered on the vine.I have a history of backing interesting losers (Siemans SL45 anyone ?) :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like