back to article Some lucky web developer just scored $20k to scour Facebook out of Neil Young’s website

Ageing and angry rock icon Neil Young will scour Facebook and Google from his online archive. And not before time: in 2018 The Register reported that Young had taken aim at Google, Facebook and Amazon for distributing of music without paying artists. But as we noted at the time, to read his objections readers had to sign in to …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

I'll donit for

15K.

Thanks

2. IGotOut Silver badge
    Trollface

And....

The Reg will follow....when?

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: And....

It is already Facebook free here... Oh, wait, no, that is my DNS server stopping all Faceplant traffic.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I'm a member

I received the email yesterday, but since I created my own login, I'm good!

May this be a watershed event... Are you listening, Zuck?

4. Aladdin Sane
    Mushroom

Anti GMO but dependent on insulin from GMO corn. He's a hypocrite. Also, I think Pono is a good indictment of how tech savvy he is.

1. Doctor Huh?
      Coat

SIgh. Ignorance is... common

Some anti-GMO folks are anti-science, and are unreasonable. Others are "anti-GMO" because of a very specific modification: the one that makes a crop resistant to Round-Up. They object for a couple of reasons. Some consider Round-Up (based on some evidence) to be a fairly nasty pesticide that has ill effects for humans. Others object to an economic model that forces farmers to buy seed annually rather than using a portion of their crop (in poorer areas of the world, anything that increases the base costs of food production threatens food production). Others object to the use of Round-Up (and other pesticides), because they don't remain tightly confined, so one farmer using Round-Up forces neighbors to buy Round-Up resistant seed to preserve crop yield. And if you end up being forced to buy the resistant seed, you might as well use the pesticide as well to increase yield.

So he isn't necessarily a hypocrite or unreasonable for being anti-GMO. As for being tech savvy -- dweebs who can devise audio compression algorithms and implement devices are a dime a dozen. Even tech folks who can insert a USB-A plug correctly on the first shot every time are numerous.

There is exactly one guy in the universe who wrote "Cinnamon Girl," "Down by the River," "The Needle and the Damage Done," and "After the Gold Rush."

With that kind of genius, who cares if he can identify the next hot portable music player?

1. Hollerithevo

Re: SIgh. Ignorance is... common

I cannot upvote this enough. I am generally anti-GMO on ethical and moral reasons. They make farmers in first and third worlds absolutely dependent upon them and the GMO companies have gone so far are to try to destroy seed 'museums' and farmer-support in India (Scientific American article of a year or so back).

My partner is coelic (a real one) and uses GMO products to make life a little more bearable, as but as discovers something non GMO that works just as well, she drops the GMO product (e.g. uses chia seeds for thickening, not Xanthan gum), again on ethical grounds. Her background is science (chemistry, physics) and math. We are neither of us woo-woo followers.

2. Bill Gray

I'm anti-GMO when it's used (for example) to enable massive Roundup use. I'm pro-GMO when it's used (for example) in Bt-corn to enable _less_ pesticide use.

As with most technology, you gotta look carefully at specific uses. Computers enable me to read El Reg. But they also enable F__ebook.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Needle And The Damage Done.

Peeps should know that replacing Needle with Blunt, or Joint, or whatever way you get your THC, is effectively as much true as the original.

First hand witness.

First person experience.

4. John Jennings

So against Roundup resistance and suicide gene modification (seeds not fertile, so they have to be re purchased each year).

Not against all GMO here though.

Also Young is a god performer.

However, he did sign a public performers license for his music - so he out of luck with the trump rallies. Taking a case is just showboating.

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Personally, I'm anti-GMO when it implies that seeds are licensed and farmers are not allowed to use the seeds they produce for the next planting. I'm also anti-GMO when it is sold as a solution to get rid of weed by throwing a lot of herbicide in the nature, and when in fact it helps to create "superweed"..

Patenting living organisms should not be allowed IMNSHO.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well done

Facebook and Google are both a total 'Blot on the Landscape' and the sooner that they are consigned to history the better.

Disclaimer: Any information held by Google and Facebook on me is fake. I do not use and have never used and never will use social media. IMHO Facebook and pals are responsible for more addictive behaviour than all the hard drugs combined.

6. codejunky Silver badge

Ha

"But as we noted at the time, to read his objections readers had to sign in to Young’s site with either Google or Facebook, meaning he was feeding the beasts he derided."

Sounds like the rantings of the perpetually unhappy. Trumps election has provided a considerable amount of amusement of those who should probably be pitied. But it has drawn them into the light to expose some of the extreme reactions some people can have when they look at the real world with incomprehension.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can’t delete

What I’ve never created

8. Steve Graham

Well, his site still calls scripts from Google Analytics & Tag Manager, but seems to work OK if they're bloacked.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not quite all there?

I once saw Neil Young invited on to stage at JavaOne (back when Sun Microsystems existed) to talk about how Java technology (embedded in every Blu-ray player) had enabled him to go from letting people listen to his music to being able to experience it via interactive content. He spent the whole 20-minute segment saying how amazing it was that Playstation had enabled him to deliver interactive content, while Jonathan Schwartz looked on with a pained expression.

It was a lot more entertaining than I think they had planned.

1. Hollerithevo

Re: Not quite all there?

He may not be super-savvy, but I like that he is enthusiastic over new tech.

He's just not enthusiastic over evil empires.

10. Rich 2 Silver badge

$$$

What did he spend $20,000 on, exactly? Just for repacking one authentication mechanism with another one? I am genuinely puzzled

On another note, I’ve never understood why anyone outside of G/FB use their respective logins as a login for their own website. How does some random login (with associated fake names and email addresses) have any bearing on your own web site? Bizarre

1. BrownishMonstr

Re: $$$

I suppose it would be like using OAuth, you don't want to maintain the credentials for security reasons, so outsource it.

1. Rich 2 Silver badge

Maybe but you may as well not bother. Outsourcing usually implies some retention of control over what it is you are outsourcing. The G/FB login thing is just G/FB extending their spy network with no value at all to anyone except them

1. BrownishMonstr

Except they have a lot of users so you're making registration easier for those users, they have one less thing to remember and don't need to provide the website with all of the required information. The website may be able to get more info than needed.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Except they have a lot

enablers.

11. DCFusor

All social media

Seems to be attempting to "screw with the election" - haven't seen any exceptions. Actually, all media, period. Even tech sites have writers with obvious agendas who put spin on things.

Too bad we let schools do to much of raising kids, and that schools don't teach critical thinking - it's not part of making the easily manipulated citizens they want.

Now it's backfiring, depending on your view.

And that's the thing - I'd bet Neil thinks some other platform is fine, since it tickles his own biases. I see this all around - if they agree with out, they're telling truth, otherwise they're evil purveyors of propaganda.

Common sense isn't. Projection rules the day these days - and it's really obvious to anyone not caught up in it themselves. Seems so easy to notice and accuse "the other side" of whatever you're most familiar with - because you do it.

As if that whole 2 sides thing wasn't an utterly false dichotomy.

"Would you rather we controlled your very thoughts? The other guys just want all your money so you live in poverty".

Surely there are other possible choices, maybe not readily available - the big club is rigged, but those are unacceptable.

1. Imhotep

Re: All social media

What I find odd is that those of us without Facebook, Twitter, Instagram accounts are still fed their regurgitations in so-called news articles.

If they must, it Seems like they could just summarize in the same way every day: "Once again, the feeble minded had nothing worth while to say and did it in a fit of pique."

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: All social media

Too bad we let schools do to much of raising kids, and that schools don't teach critical thinking

This is so true and so shocking for many visitors to America. Sadly, however, it seems to being increasingly sucessfully exported.

3. RM Myers
      Happy

if they agree ... they're telling truth, otherwise they're evil ...

As I've said before, bias is the thing that causes people to disagree with me. If they agree, that is expert opinion.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

expert opinion.

I agree, MeyersSensei!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

@ DCFusor, ya think? Re: All social media

I have to agree.

We can blame the schools...

Or rather the teachers.

I could go on a rant, but I'd rather focus on something that most are forgetting.

Facebook did a social experiment where they played with people's news feeds in order to elicit a response. In other words, they would filter your data stream to get you to think or feel a certain way.

But now, its more than FB, but Google , MSM etc... all do the same thing to a varying degree as a way to promote an agenda.

So who do you blame?

12. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

The MP3 codec ruins his music?

Hmm. Maybe at 128kbit/s, very possibly at 192kbit/s, but I would put a large amount of money on him (and indeed the vast majority of people, especially over the age of 20) not being able to do better than chance at telling between 320kbit/s and the original CD/WAV, regardless of his equipment.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: The MP3 codec ruins his music?

I can tell the difference between bit-rates. That's why when I tape-record a song off Dial-a-Disc or long-wave radio, I always encode it to MP3 at 320Kbps or higher. Just sounds awful at anything less.

The only problem I still have is that for the longer songs, my arm gets tired holding the cassette player's speaker next to my laptop's microphone for the duration.

1. Imhotep

Pro Tip: Just listen through the cassete's headphones and then hum along with the music in to the PC mic.

2. RM Myers
        Happy

Listening to Cream right now, MP3 at 320 bit-rate. "Politician" sounds great, not something I usually say about a politician.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Boffin

I have to admit I have done all my rips at 320Kbps - Not because I can hear any difference but in case I was ever convinced that I might.

3. Imhotep

When CDs first came out, I started to duplicate my classical albums on CD. The digital CDs of symphonies were so flat and lifeless compared to the analog albums, I just stuck with the albums.

On rock with headphones, I don't care.

4. The Pi Man

His argument is that the inaudible frequencies that are removed in digital files affect the audible frequencies when listening to the sound as a whole. I dunno, not clever enough to comment but I get the point of the debate.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

My Ears

My ears are ruined, years of gigs, both playing on stage standing in front of 12” celestions, and attending, plus always having my music maxed out has left my ears a bit unresponsive are some frequencies. This means all music sound quality sounds shite at any bitrate. However, I still enjoy a decent track just as much as I ever did, it’s not all about the pure audio reproduction.

Same goes for video. A decent film is a great watch on worn out VHS tape played through an ancient CRT set. A shit film on the best OLED screen is still a shit film,

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: My Ears

I can hear you.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope Neil Young will remember,

The southern man don't need him around anyhow.

14. TXITMAN

New title for a soug: "Could have just PiHoled them"

That is like a thousand per mouse click if they just PiHoled the commies. Good money.

15. murrby

What doe she mean by “Simply put, Facebook is screwing with our election.” He's a Canadian who refuses to take US citizenship

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like