back to article UK Home Office dishes out contracts to 999 control room vendors after wasting cash on network tech it abandoned

Capita's contract to hook up emergency services control rooms under the UK's troubled Emergency Services Network (ESN) is being renewed for £6.5m without competition. The outsourcer has become the latest in a list of control system software suppliers to win the Home Office's favour without having to fight it out against rivals …

1. wyatt

Whilst I'm happy to bash Crapita most of the time, their evidence/case management software is different to their ICCS offering which is (DS2000/DS3000) known as DSx. This has been working (fairly well) for a number of years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Capita have taken over technology solutions from hundreds of companies. None of their offerings is representative of them. However support, management and development is.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is it the same suspects everytime

HMG are really bad at picking IT vendors

BUT they still pick the same guys each time, I mean £3bn over budget and late

WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR THESE GUYS TO LOSE A CONTRACT

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Why is it the same suspects everytime

I thing Its called suckers.

2. Blane Bramble

Everyone else is "too small".

You wouldn't want to sign a contract with a small company would you? No, this is a big project for a big organisation, it needs a big consultancy.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Indeed

Once worked for a small company that bid for gov project.

The software met the spec (and was in use by many customers as was a thing sold "off the shelf" and configurable for any particular specific customer requirements (obv not going into details as would make it identifiable)

Reason they were given for not getting contract was company too small and quite too low!

None of the other bidders had a working product either - ours was the only non vapourware product, and we had even done a demo based on existing a sample of gov data they had provided into our system so had proven everything worked.

Also wort h noting company I worked for did not offer any brown envelopes, days out at big sports events, future non exec role in the company etc. i.e. company ensured no possible whiff of inducement, bribe (which, in my jaundiced view, probably did not help)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But also many companies bid for gov and other public sector tenders but due diligence may reveal that the company is at risk of not being viable for the full contract length (+ extensions). If the product is one that might go unsupported or stop working during the contract then there is a risk. Most public sector organisations would not like to be in the position that they cause the failure of a company due to the demands of the contract either.

It might well be due diligence that caused that company to fail in its bid but there are plenty of routes to challenge the decision if it was felt unfair.

It may well be a preference for a different supplier but there isn't any brown envelopes floating around, more likely job offers, campaign contributions etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Save Lives, Scrap Serco Now

Save money, scrap crapita now.

4. NeilPost Silver badge

Airwave

Airwave was garbage/late/over budget when that launched. I guess they did not do/ignored the lessons learned review.

Why not just give the whole job to Motorola ‘???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Airwave

What do you mean by "the whole job"? Motorola already own Airwave and the Key parts of ESN. There is already a significant conflict of interest - the longer that ESN is delayed the more money Motorola make.

5. mark4155

Senior man robbed in Manchester street. July this year. I was witness and he was on the floor. (I looked after him). Diialled 999. Reply on phone "thank you for your call, we are extremely busy at he moment.. though you can email us at....blah blah) 15 minutes later got through to the control room. What the F*** is happening?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well if you got that when dialling 999 then that is a fault with BT as they take the calls from the public.

The biggest problem in that scenario is non-emergency calls utilising the 999 lines, or a significant incident elsewhere being reported by hundreds of people at a similar time

1. wyatt

999 calls go via the BT emergency service, 101 calls are routed via the standard PSTN.

I know that when a call taker is on a 101 call it'll/can be parked if a 999 call comes in.

If there aren't enough call takers to handle the 999 calls they should overflow to another Police Force.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How would you expect them to award the ESN contract to another provider other than EE? All the coverage is being done based on EE masts and they are also putting in the Extended Area Coverage. It's not like it could just swap to Vodafone at the end of the (short) contract and they could easily take it over.

1. wyatt
      Joke

Tupe them to the new provider?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like