back to article Peer-to-peer takes on a whole new meaning when used to spy on 3.7 million or more cameras, other IoT gear

More than 3.7 million. That's the latest number of surveillance cameras, baby monitors, doorbells with webcams, and other internet-connected devices found left open to hijackers via two insecure communications protocols globally, we're told. This is up from estimates of a couple of million last year. The protocols are CS2 …

1. redpawn

Just Skynet

opening its eyes. Nothing to worry about here. Take a free doorbell on your way out please.

1. stiine Silver badge

Re: Just Skynet

Why would you think Skynet would have those kinds of vulnerabilities?

1. Flywheel

One man's vulnerability is another's opportunity.

1. macjules

One man's vulnerability is another sentient artificial intelligence's opportunity.

FTFY

2. cipnt

Dilema

The worst thing about this tech is that it can't be turned off in some devices. But even if it can be turned off, you will be disabling a crucial bit of functionality of the device which will render it close to useless: what's the point of a cctv camera if you can't check the video feed?

The first time I installed an IP camera for a friend some 10+ years ago and was trying to work out what ports to forward in the router only to hear my friend saying "it works!" before I even did anything, I was both shocked that the firewall was bypassed and disappointed that my skills weren't in fact needed.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

An IoT pandemic?

You don't need malice. Just some obscure bug in a server somewhere and it could silently bring down the whole mess.

Hmmm. Not necessarily a bad thing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

P2P?

"The equipment contacts central servers to announce they're powered up, and they stay connected by sending heartbeat messages to the servers. These cloud-hosted servers thus know which IP addresses the gadgets are using, and stay in constant touch with the devices."

To me that sounds like the exact opposite of a P2P system, but rather a bog standard "client/server" architecture. Or I am missing something?

As for IoT and security, that topic has been beaten to death on here and other tech sites. I guess we just get to watch the slow motion train wreck.

There have been some improvements in the space, however as long as there is no liability from the manufacturer, what will happen when a model is compromised, is the manufacturer will wash their hands of the whole thing and just tell people to chuck them and buy newer models, which many will be loathe to do, especially as the old kit is "working" for them.

Yes, some will replace them due to being security sensitive, but even then, the vulnerable models usually just end up on ebay or equivalent to be bought by the budget conscious, meaning the problem won't go away. Most of these devicies will just sit there and be a botnet in waiting.

Icon, as its the only way to be sure this ceases to be a problem :-P

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"To me that sounds like the exact opposite of a P2P system"

Er, well, even classic P2P networks have a pool of central systems that you connect to initially to find other clients. This is just like that.

The P2P nature comes into play when machines relay connections between each other, and when endpoints talk to each other directly. See the talk for details (it's also covered later on in our article.)

C.

2. iron Silver badge

Re: P2P?

> I am missing something?

Yeah the P2P bit is near the end of the article you didn't finish reading before deciding to bestow your glorous wisdom on us.

RTFA

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"they're designed to let non-tech-savvy owners access their devices,"

As we're now discovering, when you make tech easy enough so any fool can use it every fool uses it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

every fool uses it

yeah, like them hammering thingies...

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
    Mushroom

"we imagine those updates haven't made their way to all installations just yet"

Are the devices able to re-flash their firmware? If not then the only suitable update is (see above).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All those efforts to get data out, and no effort to bring updates/patches in automatically....

7. Peter Galbavy

There's an assumption in the article that these features are somehow undesirable (to the makers). Possible the only undesirable here is that the design of the system have been revealed to a wider world.

1. Sanctimonious Prick
      Trollface

My Eyes!

Yeah, I'm OK with the 14 eyes backdooring all our devices too, Peter, coz, it's not like anyone else will find out, right?

/tic

8. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

On purpose

I keep wondering if all these Chinese companies that make this junk add these so-called flaws on purpose to spy on us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On purpose

Spy: Commander, one of them has figured it out, should we take care of them?

Commander: No, we will socially discredit them, label them paranoid, and racist. Nobody will pay attention to them and we can continue with our global surveillance just like we do at home.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Haha all your racism and paranoia belong to you

1. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Yeah, right. Maybe they're just stupid.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

some folks don't even know how to log into their routers

what's "routers"?

1. terrythetech

Re: some folks don't even know how to log into their routers

Replace "some" with "virtually all" and you are nearly there.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: some folks don't even know how to log into their routers

Call it "the WiFi" and they'll understand....

10. hoola Silver badge

Under 10%

I am surprised that less than 10% are affected.

It still begs the question as to why so many people feel the need to buy and setup this junk. So I can have a camera on my doorbell so that when someone rings it you can see who it is. I can do the same with a peephole. If I am not in then what difference does it make? If it was a parcel delivery Pre-Covid then they would either leave a card and take it away, leave it with a neighbour or lob it over the nearest fence depending on the company. At the moment due to Covid everything is "contactless" which means ring the bell if you are luck and dump the parcel or just dump it.

If you really need a security camera to see what is happening at the door then why does it have to be connected to the Internet?

1. TheVogon

Re: Under 10%

You can see who it is from the other end of your garden / in bed without visiting the front door. And you can answer the doorbell when out which is a major security benefit as you can say you cant come to the door right now if its "lucky heather sellers". Also can leave instructions for couriers / deliveries, etc that might otherwise have to be rescheduled. And you can set it to record video from movement and act as a CCTV system.

1. Cynic_999

But a major downside is that if it cannot establish a link with a server halfway around the World, you can be sat in your living room without knowing that someone is pressing your doorbell. And at certain times of the day, the caller may well have given up and left between the time of pressing the doorbell and the time the system takes to notify you that it had been pressed.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

And that's before the vendors decides to just shut down the service - or is bought by a bigger fish (e.g. Google) who then shuts it down.

11. Graham Cunningham
    Pint

Peer-to-peer

I see what you did there! ---->

12. Tree
    Megaphone

HATE Speech

Can I join all these people who are banned from Gurgle, FaceBUTT, YouTube, etc? I want to watch their videos.

1. Sanctimonious Prick
      Happy

Re: HATE Speech

Of course you can.

Just do a Yahoo! for censored tv :D

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like