back to article Q: What’s big, red and pulses UV light into the cosmos three times a night? A: Mars

Mars pulses with ultraviolet light three times a night during spring and autumn, according to boffins from the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP). Detailed in a new paper titled Imaging of Martian Circulation Patterns and Atmospheric Tides Through MAVEN/IUVS Nightglow Observations, the …

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Alien

The Chances Of Anything Coming From Mars Are A Million To One He Said

At midnight, on the 12th of August, a huge mass of luminous gas erupted from Mars and sped towards Earth. ...

A flare, spurting out from Mars. Bright green, drawing a green mist behind it; a beautiful, but somehow disturbing sight. Ogilvy, the astronomer, assured me we were in no danger.

1. MOH

Re: The Chances Of Anything Coming From Mars Are A Million To One He Said

Genius. *checks calendar* Uh oh. Just when I thought 2020 couldn't get even worse ....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A real missed opportunity there, they should have delayed the press release and used it as a hook :-)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. not.known@this.address
          Alien

"p.s. Sadly, "The chance that extraterrestrial bacteria would be deadly to humans is zero. Not just very, very small. Zero."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/06/16/would-extraterrestrial-bacteria-be-dangerous-to-humans/"

So they have completely discounted the theory life on Earth arose as a result of comet dust then?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. jake Silver badge

If it started some 4 billion years ago, plus or minus ... what would have stopped it continuing? Shirley it would be a continuous event, and still be happening right now, today?

Would explain lots of things. Politicians, for one ...

2. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Re: Panspermia.

The problem with this theory is that it just shunts the same problem elsewhere - life has to start somewhere first.

Unless of course we are stuck in an infinite time loop and its our task to seed the first planet.

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Pint

I wish I could up vote you a second time just for the "Directly the Invaders arrived and drank and fed in an Aberdeen pub".

Icon - Have a pint instead.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

p.s. Sadly, "The chance that extraterrestrial bacteria would be deadly to humans is zero. Not just very, very small. Zero."

Well whoever said that (I realise it wasn't you) wasn't thinking very hard at all, were they? It's completely trivial to show that the probability is greater than zero (keep generating random planets until you get an Earth clone, pick bubonic plague) and in real life the probabilities will be much much higher than that. The probability may not be high, but it certainly is not zero.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Symon: what about their viruses?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The Universe is a strange place. Even our little corner of it.

1. jake Silver badge

Especially our little corner of it.

"May you live in interesting times."

3. oiseau
    Alien

Marse code

I think it is a warning in Marse Code.

They are probably trying to tell us to get the fuck off and stop littering their planet.

O.

PD: it is Friday, no?

1. Mark 85

Re: Marse code

I suspect you're right about the Code but I'm thinking it's a warning beacon telling travelers to avoid this area of space.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Marse code

Or a lighthouse - warning all space travellers

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big, red and spews UV light?

Here I was expecting an analysis of Trump's ego, and it's just about Mars.

So, so disappointed...

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Big, red and spews UV light?

Here I was expecting an analysis of Trump's ego,

I do not want to think about Trump flashing three times a night!

1. SloppyJesse

I do not want to think about Trump flashing three times a night!

FTFY

1. AceRimmer1980
          Alien

DJ Mysteron headlining MonsFest, having it large before the invasion.

2. jake Silver badge

I'd rather not have to think about Trump at all. Bring on November ...

5. DS999 Silver badge

If we'd been able to see that from Earth 100 years ago

It would have been seen as proof Martians are trying to signal us, or working on a UV laser to give us all sunburn.

6. Doctor Evil

Or else

Mars isn't exactly a "monolith" (along the lines of TMA-1), but perhaps ...

7. Neoc

Three flashes a night? That has got to be the SLOWEST bandwidth I've ever experienced.

<yorkshireman>Three flashes a night? Luxury.</yorkshireman>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like