back to article EY to outsource compute function, sending 800 staff into the loving arms of... IBM

The artist formerly known as Ernst & Young is preparing to transfer the majority of its in-house compute function to IBM, with 800 people in various corners of the world set to make the move from October onwards. The pair made public a multi-year alliance last month that was all about selling "digital transformation" services …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ouch, at least IBM bothered to bid for you

IBM decided to pull out of the running for our outsourcing!!!

We’ll suffer the same fate as EY if we make it to 2021 without leaving first.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A minute's silence please for our fallen brethren at Ernst & Young.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My bullshit bingo card was complete by the end of the second paragraph.

Surely a new record ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

800 are set to make the hop across to IBM

Why move them to a place that is already laying off people?

https://www.theregister.com/2020/03/18/ibm_uk_layoffs/

1. seven of five

Re: 800 are set to make the hop across to IBM

economy of scale, they (IBM) already have a busy henchman there - no need to set up your own.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 800 are set to make the hop across to IBM

From what I see, IBM have a worldwide headcount limit that they don't like crossing.

If you look at this over the years, it's rarely goes below 380,000 (although it was allowed to grow in the second decade of this century, leading to a sharp reduction around 2014, probably when some parts were sold off [like the xSeries division]).

What seems to happen is that they take in a new business and all the people, then have to engage in redundancies to bring the headcount back down to the magic figure.

I don't know what 2020 will look like, with them having taken in RedHat, but maybe if it is being run at arm's length, they won't count.

5. RM Myers
    Unhappy

"...and more relevant and specialized opportunities to support their future career growth"

Only at IBM would being made redundant be considered as future career growth. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Based on my experience watching a major outsourcing to IBM, my condolences to all involved. The only positive in our outsourcing was that the function was insourced again as soon as the initial contract with IBM ended. However, by that time more than half the original staff had left.

1. not.known@this.address

Re: "...and more relevant and specialized opportunities to support their future career growth"

"Only at IBM would being made redundant be considered as future career growth. Oh how the mighty have fallen."

Ha! If only you were correct. Can anyone tell us of an Outsourcing deal where all the original staff were retained longer than the absolute minimum time the winning company could get away with?

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: "...and more relevant and specialized opportunities to support their future career growth"

I know people who were brought into IBM as part of a TUPE, and remained there for significant amounts of time (more that 10 years) and some until they retired.

But it depends on the skills and usefulness. I suspect that any of the EY staff that have any Cloud or recent security experience will be OK, but probably not those who are involved with rather more traditional technologies.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nobody is being “forced”

“being forced into working for IBM”

If you don’t like it, don’t agree to TUPE. No one is forcing you. You have a clear choice with a clear alternative.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nobody is being “forced”

The only way to not agree to TUPE is to resign ... you can't say "not for me, thanks".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which is why I’m saying there is a clear choice. Nobody is being forced to work for IBM. If you didn’t like it, leave.

1. druck Silver badge
          Unhappy

Yes, it's such a great time to start looking for a new job, everyone is doing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

We’re taking on new IT staff every week. It’s difficult and strange, but if businesses want to survive it’s reality.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

are they offering redundancy as an option?

its not great when you have a number of years under your belt and suddenly your option is to transfer to some company you never wanted to work for or resign. If redundancy is an option its helpful, otherwise the other business is incentivised to manage you out of a job, saving large amounts of often generous redundancy payments.

it sucks seeing your colleagues being made redundant over the years especially when you've declined to go, and suddenly when its your turn you find there is no payout for you!!!!

Loyalty rewarded, not!!

7. trevorde Silver badge

Clock has started

One year to find a new job or its 'resource action' aka 'workforce rebalancing' aka 'redundancy'

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"... under the alliance with IBM, impacted employees told us they will also be expected to support clients externally."

So the crew sized for EY will now somehow be able to do all EY's work, plus more? And then when the crew don't do 'transition' well, get downsized, while still supporting all EY's work and more external work?

Neither IBM nor EY do that "Think" thing well, do they?

9. a_yank_lurker

Another One Bites the Dust

So, is anyone offering odds on when EY dies permanently? Also, in Oct 2021, how many of the ex EY'ers will made redundant by Itsy Bitsy Morons? I give EY about 3 years and 700 or so being made redundant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another One Bites the Dust

You might be right with regards IBM laying off those who are transferring over but I would be very surprised if EY were to die completely. They have over 300K staff globally and are one of the Big 4 Accountancy firms. The last of the big accountancy firms to collapse was Arthur Anderson due to the Enron scandal and that was awhile back.

10. GermanSauerkraut

Wirecard?

As a German, I suspect EY bracing for some Wirecard fallout. You remember? Wirecard, the company EY certified "everything fine and dandy" until nobody was able to oversee reality anymore?

Just keep in mind: We in IT may always be one of the first who have to go if the (business) shit hits the fan, we've never been anything else but a cost factor in many businesses we drive...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointy haired boss

I wonder who in manglement at EY thought this was a good idea ? They have no idea how much this will eventually cost EY. Mark my words.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pointy haired boss

EY has been outsourcing various IT functions since 2013. It started with the English Language IT Helpdesk going to Steffanini and then to TCS. Level 2 and Level 3 and various other roles have either been moved to TCS or GDS locations ever since.

12. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Facepalm

IBM

At first I did think it was a bit unusual that EY didn't palm off the function to one of the Indian outfits like Tata, HCL, et al.

Then I realised it's India Business Machines..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IBM

TCS already have L1, L2 and L3 functions I believe.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ah, the irony. The company that has been recommending others outsource to IBM, who will then turn around and make most of your old staff redundant, is now doing it to itself.

14. Yes Me Silver badge
    Unhappy

"EY staff only spoke to us on the condition of anonymity, as some are fearful for their job."

Not to worry, IBM's standard operating procedure for this kind of takeover means that you'll lose your job anyway.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speak to the guys at Wood bout what happens when you move your services to IBM. Staff retained? Hah - enforced moved to third party company - loss of TUPE - and that's if your lucky enough to live in the UK.

Staff in India were made to resign and then re-apply for the same post.

Brutal

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We need a global union with enough power to work with each country government to protects outsourced workers' rights against these shitty multinational companies and their "business" affecting millions of families... even more in times like this with a pandemic happening. I'm fucking tired of their bullshit and how they shit on our work force.

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vodafone warning

Warning: From Vodafone we were TUPE'd over May 2019, One year on during Covid virus, IBM decided to make me and 25% of the Vodafone accounts UK staff redundant. Replaced by Indian engineers, and also most of the senior management resigned or redundant due to IBMs nonsense working practices, again India senior management taken over. One year on, still no new tools from IBM to use on the Vodafone account, just about cost savings. Vodafone and EY probably didn't want to lay off staff, bad brand image etc, so outsource to IBM and let them do the dirty work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like