back to article Oppo Find X2 Neo: We're not getting any slimmer through lockdown, but phones are

The first thing you notice about the Oppo Find X2 Neo is how incredibly thin it is. Measuring 7.7mm across, it feels slimmer than other recent 5G blowers, including the Huawei P40 Pro, and is remarkably attractive for a sub-flagship device, with the delicate trims and effects you'd typically expect from a pricier number. But …

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Hmm.

No microSD card slot = no sale.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: Hmm.

Maybe if there were built in 512 or 1024 GB options without a frightening markup? I like a lot of storage on my 'phone, exchangeable storage isn't so important to me.

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

No microSD card slot = no sale.

With 256 GB storage in the phone I don't really need that 32 GB (micro)SD-card.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've never felt able to rely on MicroSD for anything important so photos get backed up and the space freed up when I hit WiFi, and even after the OS and apps take a chunk I suspect there's still 150GB+ space in the phone for music. Having had three phones in a row without MicroSD, I don't even look out for it in specs any more.

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

OsmAnd+ maps, Kiwix, video streaming with offline support, and good old fashioned music purchases is something I'd struggle to part with. I need the maps for hiking, bicycling, and traveling. The others aren't critical but easy to get used to. Despite all this talk about 5G and coverage maps, cell signals are still annoyingly fussy. I bought a 1TB microSD card so I can make backups from my real camera and rsync to back home. If you're going to have a 1TB card, you might as well put FLAC encoded music on it and use wired headphones too.

If my current phone broke I'd put LineageOS on one in the closet until big memory support, headphone jacks, and international radio bands are back in style. It just takes a lot longer for the maps to load.

2. Warm Braw

Attractively priced with an MSRP of £599

It's always the casual, throwaway remarks that give you the clearest insights into other people's lives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Attractively priced with an MSRP of £599

Well, that's about £499 more than I'm willing to pay for an unlocked sim free phone....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's computer.

If you don't want a computer, a noddy 2G phone will suit fine. Others, however, will want to be able to use it as a computing device.

Not sure why you think it's important that the world knows that you're not interested in something...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perhaps he thinks everyone should announce that they're not interested as well... that should fill up the thread with some, shall we say, less than interesting comments.

This isn't Facebook. At least I hope it isn't.

1. logicalextreme

I'm looking forward to the upcoming April Fool's Day stunt where the purchase announcement is made and the site is skinned like FB.

3. ivan5

The thing we are never told in these reviews is just how good is it at phone calls - it is a phone after all or are we to assume it is a fondle slab?

1. RM Myers
      Joke

You still use a phone to make phone calls? How quaint. I assume you are one of these people who prefers a 2 minute phone when you can get the same information with 20 minutes of back and forth texting. Time to join the 21st century, where efficiency means taking more time to do the same thing!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You still use a phone to make phone calls?

20 minutes of back and forth texting? Why, when you can record long, meandering whatsapp messages with lots of background noise and breathing sounds replying to a simple yes/no question?

Even better, let's schedule a Zoom/Meet/Teams/Skype/Sploorf meeting! With everyone we know, and cameras on! All the cool kids are doing it, apparently all the time.

2. Mark192

Ivan5 said "The thing we are never told in these reviews is just how good is it at phone calls"

Do the mainstream manufacturers make phones that aren't good at phonecalls? Genuine question.

1. drand

Some phones are better than others at being phones.

I mean, I haven't sampled that many phones, but the difference between my own phone (Moto G something) and my wife's (Honor something) of the same recent vintage is quite marked - mine drops in and out and the loudspeaker volume (in holding-it-to-your ear mode) is low enough I have to attach a set of earbuds in order to hold a conversation against background noise. The Honor, making a call from the same spot, is always clear and the connection is solid.

When I get a new phone it will probably be the same model as a friend, so I can audition theirs and check the call quality.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>Do the mainstream manufacturers make phones that aren't good at phonecalls? Genuine question.

Wasn't that one of the complaints about the original iPhone: good at everything other than making phone calls.

3. logicalextreme

Depends whether you're holding it wrong or not. Genuine answer.

4. GidaBrasti
    FAIL

Parting a phool from his money

£600 and cannot even take a decent indoor photo ?

1. Mark192

Re: Parting a phool from his money

Seemed to take reasonable indoor shots from the few photos I looked at. I'd not dismiss it from a one sentence comment in the review.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think the pixel 4a for $350 (£450) is a better buy

1. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

If I had to buy a brand new phone right now, it'd be the Pixel 4a. And I'm not enamoured with any of the currently available devices. But for me, it's a decent choice out of a mediocre bunch.

If it was a bit shorter (<140mm), didn't have a cut-out camera in the screen, had a larger battery and a wireless charging coil, then it'd pretty much be ideal. Wait, does it have dual-sim? If not, forget it...

It's also a requirement for me that a phone be easy to root. I'm just not buying the latest devices, because if there's no way to root, it's not acceptable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why root?

Rooting seems to do nothing much these days apart from break online banking and Google Pay, and stop some streaming apps from working.

I used to root all my phones when Android was missing a lot of features, and there were no downsides. Back in the days of the Galaxy S3 or HTC Hero. I then spent far too long managing that task on an HTC One M7 and at that point it occurred to me the stress involved no longer reflected the benefits.

Are there any benefits to rooting any more?

1. vagabondo

Re: Why root?

“Are there any benefits to rooting any more?”

Perhaps to remove the pre-installed bloat/spyware running in the background eating up battery life, and to regain a modicum of control over the sharing of personal data.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Why root?

"...and to fool yourself that you have some control over the sharing of personal data."

TFTFY

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like